Rotisserie Thoughts

cghanso

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
I am in the market for another pit, and have been interested for a long time in a rotisserie smoker. Something along the lines of an Ed Marrow or Mule Tuf.

Is it my imagination, or is there less interest in these designs now versus vertical gravity-fed pits?

Would love to hear from any of the Brethren that have a rotisserie smoker.

Likewise anyone that has migrated from a rotisserie to a gravity fed system would be great to hear from, as well.

What most appeals to me about the rotisserie setup is the the portability of easily transporting the smoker and the benefit of the meat constantly moving through the pit (I'm kinda lazy that way :) )

Thanks,

I have the rotisserie attachment on a Weber 18".
Love it! Wife got me a basket attachment for it too. Makes it more fun.

As far as a roti smoker, or a dedicated spinner like you mentioned....I have no experience with.

Traditional open air rotisserie cooking invokes the gentle heating/cooling process as the meat spins over coals, then the self basting of the juices/fats takes over.

Rotisserie in a "closed box" environment like a smoker is more or less the same as being in an oven essentially allows the pitmaster to avoid rotating product like you would need to on a traditional stickburner. It's really a convenience thing. When you have a large load smoking, this can be a real time saver.

I have rotisseries on all my grills and smokers.
The baby backs turn out great, chicken great, everything seems to turn out better tasting and evenly cooked when I use a rotisserie.

You might look at American barbecue systems smoker, I looked them before I settled on the Marshall for the good one company. They look pretty nice.

I had an ABS Pitboss. It produced some really good food , wish I’d never sold it but at the time I was coaching ball and didn’t have time to run a stick burner.

I've been thinking of getting a rotisserie for my gas grill but for the current price it doesn't seem worth it (especially for just a gas grill), but I haven't really checked Craigslist or anything for deals

I have one for my Kamado Joe and I love it
most of the time I shut the lid and use the Meater+ while spinning

I have the CB rotisserie for my WSM 22.Only used it a few times.The chicken wings & ribs came our very all good. I would recommend it.
DanB

I had an ABS Pitboss. It produced some really good food , wish I’d never sold it but at the time I was coaching ball and didn’t have time to run a stick burner.

I saw one of those at a competition, damn nice cookers!

Anybody know who builds this one? I talked to the owner and I forgot the name, somewhere in Missouri?

I5v5tS.jpg

WciefQ.jpg

RTzT5k.jpg

There's something in the water in Sikeston, MO.

That's where most of these pits came from. And the guy who put together the first design of this type is from Kennett, MO - which is south of Sikeston. His name is Ed Marrow.

The Sikeston, MO based pit builders all are based on his original design and include: Cadillac Cookers (may be out of business), Nolen's (I believe out of business), Heartland Cookers (active), Mule Tuf (active).

I was recently at a small competition and was looking for something on these lines but it seemed nearly everyone was using an insulated vertical style pit (most of them gravity fed versions).

Chris

Back