MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-22-2018, 08:06 AM   #1
bbqpitsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Default Where did this brisket go wrong?

Here is as much as I can remember, and just don't see why it turned out so bad so if anyone can tell me please I would appreciate it!

The brisket: 5kg (11 pounds) above average brand

Cooked on: Offset

Cook temp range: 225 -250

Cook time 8 hours (wrapped in paper at 160F, and probed tender at 211F)

Rest: After cook, left wrapped in paper for 90 minutes on bench. Temp at the start of the rest was 211F. After 90 mins, the internal temp was 140F, and unwrapped and sliced.

Texture: Moist, but so elastic. Not even close to passing the pull test. To cut it was tough, and to chew it was very rubbery.

Can meat tighten up and become tougher during a rest?

Where did I go wrong?
bbqpitsmoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 08:25 AM   #2
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Is there supposed to be pictures? The gaps in the text make me think so, but I don’t see anything.

Yes, any meat can tighten up after resting, but I wouldn’t think that it would tighten up as much as you described. When you decided that it was probe tender, where were you probing?

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 08:35 AM   #3
bbqpitsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks Ron, I didn't include pic but will add one now. I probed all over from the top down and also from the side with a thermapen.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tough brisket.jpg (54.6 KB, 423 views)

Old 09-22-2018, 08:43 AM   #4
CptKaos
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Larry

It just wasn't finished cooking, 8 hrs might do it if cooked hot and fast.

Larry

Old 09-22-2018, 08:45 AM   #5
Ron_L

Looks good in the picture :)

It sounds like either it wan’t done, or just tightened up. I only probe the thickest part of the flat and when that probes like butter then I rest it. I haven’t rested until the internal temp is 140, but I know folks who do without problems.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 09-22-2018, 08:47 AM   #6
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

8 hrs at that temp seems short. if you were under 250 than 211 finish temp should be plenty done.

what are you temping/probing with?

Old 09-22-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
bbqpitsmoker
Full Fledged Farker

I monitored the cook with a thermoworks smoke and did the final temp test and probing with a thermapen mark 4

So this thing of tightening up during a rest has me confused then. What would make some briskets get more tender during a rest and other briskets tighten up during a rest?

This was like eating a racquet ball

For the people saying cook it more, how far past 211f can you take these suckers?

Old 09-22-2018, 09:00 AM   #8
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Mine probe tender at 209 to 215- but I'm cooking at 300*

I was lead to believe -by the lower and slower bunch- that IT finish temp would be lower and the window for "doneness" would be larger - thus easier to hit.

You have quality temping tools- I'm sort of confused by the outcome. I would not "probe it all over"- the thickest part of the flat is all that matters. If it probed well, continuing the cook makes no sense. Hopefully someone here can get you sorted.

Old 09-22-2018, 09:10 AM   #9
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbqpitsmoker View Post
I monitored the cook with a thermoworks smoke and did the final temp test and probing with a thermapen mark 4

So this thing of tightening up during a rest has me confused then. What would make some briskets get more tender during a rest and other briskets tighten up during a rest?

For the people saying cook it more, how far past 211f can you take these suckers?
I've seen them temp out at 215 cooking hot. at your temps it should have been falling apart

I dont rest very long, never. had luck leaving it out for over an hour on the counter. I dont rest so much as hold.

try an oven on low, a cooler filled with towels or a roaster oven. mine dials down to any temp, i like 150 for holding and typically go about at least hours.

Old 09-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #10
rexster314
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Thanks Ron, I didn't include pic but will add one now. I probed all over from the top down and also from the side with a thermapen.

I don't know what part you probed but that brisket is definitely not done
rexster314 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-22-2018, 01:11 PM   #11
Rockinar
is One Chatty Farker

8 hours @ 225-250 sounds quick to me. And sounds undercooked. Im guessing you were monitoring and probing the point, not the flat.
Rockinar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 02:05 PM   #12
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:

Thermapen for probing for doneness is your problem. They have a very sharp probe. Less resistance than a normal thermometer. Pick up a pack of dial thermometers from Sam's Club. The probes are dull and won't make you think a brisket is done when it is not done. You did not cook it long enough.
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 02:33 PM   #13
Ron_L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Thermapen for probing for doneness is your problem. They have a very sharp probe. Less resistance than a normal thermometer. Pick up a pack of dial thermometers from Sam's Club. The probes are dull and won't make you think a brisket is done when it is not done. You did not cook it long enough.
Nothing wrong with using a Thermopen. I’ve used mine as a probe for briskets, butts and ribs for years. All that matters is that you use the same thing every time and learn how the meat feels when done with your probe of choice.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/

Old 09-22-2018, 02:35 PM   #14
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Another vote for under cooked. I'm with ninja on internal temp... should have crumbled when you sliced. I use a thermopen to probe with. You just have to get used to the "feel" of donenesse. I'm also not a fan of leaving it on the counter to rest. I'm a long holder. Don't let the temp fool you when probing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-22-2018, 02:36 PM   #15
pjtexas1

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
Nothing wrong with using a Thermopen. I’ve used mine as a probe for briskets, butts and ribs for years. All that matters is that you use the same thing every time and learn how the meat feels when done with your probe of choice.
Got Deguerre'd!

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote