MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-11-2019, 05:09 PM   #31
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
Don’t you think that most insulated cabinets in this price are capable of baking pie or cold smoking?
Probably. So if you like here are some more things I like.

270 is all welded. Humphreys are not, at least the ones I seen were riveted. 270 has wide shelves that are staggered. Shallow too. So easy to get access to meat and doesn't need pulled out to far. Humphreys are narrow but are deeper and not staggered. Although that may be just more of preferance than a disadvantage. I prefer wide shallow shelves but some might like deeper shelves. So different strokes for different folks. Casters are included with the 270. Humphreys its an extra cost isn't it?
270 has the option of two different chimneys. You can flip flop between a normal style insulated cabinet or convection. A chimney straight out the top makes it easier to cold smoke jerky imo. Humphreys has one chimney and is a reverse flow insulated cabinet. It is a convection cooker. I only use the extra chimney for smoking jerky. Still its a nice feature.
Humphreys has alot of nice color choices.
Humphreys is a Backwoods Clone. A better clone but a clone. Thicker metal than Backwoods and much nicer colors and I believe it has thicker insulation.
Between a Backwoods and a Humphreys I would say Humphreys is better but compare a Humphreys to a 270 Smoker imo 270 Smokers is better. Better built and a better design. Could use a few color choices but not a deal breaker. Clearly the 270 is built with function over form in mind. Although, I like the weird shape of the smoker. Its just different. I like different. I like a smoker that stands out.
With the 270 Ironman shield I have cooked in a down pour. It doesn't flinch in heavy rain with no cover. The Chimney is attached at an angle that keeps the rain out. I could be wrong but I imagine that would be a problem with a Humphreys. Do they have anything to deal with cooking in heavy rain with no cover?
Thats a major plus in favor of 270 imo. I cook comps but have had to take down the tent due to heavy wind and rain. So yeah for some this could be important. Some it may not matter if they have a porch trailer. Its a non issue for those folks.

So imo I say 270 Smokers is the clear winner for me. Try one you may like it.
"270 Smokers Cook with Confidence"
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->

Old 02-11-2019, 05:17 PM   #32
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post

270 is all welded. Humphreys are not, at least the ones I seen were riveted. 270 has wide shelves that are staggered. Shallow too. So easy to get access to meat and doesn't need pulled out to far. Humphreys are narrow but are deeper and not staggered. Although that may be just more of preferance than a disadvantage. I prefer wide shallow shelves but some might like deeper shelves. So different strokes for different folks. Casters are included with the 270. Humphreys its an extra cost isn't it?
270 has the option of two different chimneys. You can flip flop between a normal style insulated cabinet or convection. A chimney straight out the top makes it easier to cold smoke jerky imo. Humphreys has one chimney and is a reverse flow insulated cabinet. It is a convection cooker. I only use the extra chimney for smoking jerky. Still its a nice feature.
Humphreys is a Backwoods Clone. A better clone but a clone. Thicker metal than Backwoods and much nicer colors and I believe it has thicker insulation.
Between a Backwoods and a Humphreys I would say Humphreys is better but compare a Humphreys to a 270 Smoker imo 270 Smokers is better. Better built and a better design. Could use a few color choices but not a deal breaker. Clearly the 270 is built with function over form in mind. Although, I like the weird shape of the smoker. Its just different. I like different. I like a smoker that stands out.
With the 270 Ironman shield I have cooked in a down pour. It doesn't flinch in heavy rain with no cover. The Chimney is attached at an angle that keeps the rain out. I could be wrong but I imagine that would be a problem with a Humphreys. Do they have anything to deal with cooking in heavy rain with no cover?
Thats a major plus in favor of 270 imo. I cook comps but have had to take down the tent due to heavy wind and rain. So yeah for some this could be important. Some it may not matter if they have a porch trailer. Its a non issue for those folks.

Hate to hear that I bought the wrong one.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2019, 05:25 PM   #33
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
Hate to hear that I bought the wrong one.
I didn't say that. I said its what works for me. I like my 270 its just what works for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Old 02-11-2019, 06:04 PM   #34
ebijack
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : tom

I bought a humphrey's.
I bought the wrong high priced cooker. They are highly recommended. But are for sure NOT the cooker for me! In no way shape or form. Not even close.
Not saying a 270 is better. I've never used one.
You really don't know until you cook on a cooker for a long time to see if it is for you or not. You need to find the plus/minuses. Then you really know.
ebijack is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2019, 07:15 PM   #35
RacrX
Full Fledged Farker

Update: the first brisket in my 270 sumo turned out amazing, and cooked in record time.

Follow my Instagram! @sweetsmokeBBQ
RacrX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2019, 08:51 PM   #36
pasquale388
On the road to being a farker

I have to say the humphreys are built to last I have owned 6 in the past 3 years. Chad and Nicole are great people. The craftsmanship is too notch. They answer all questions and will help you get the right size for your needs. I will say they are built to last a lifetime
pasquale388 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-11-2019, 09:56 PM   #37
lsuillini
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : lsuillini

Ive had my Humphreys Pint for 6 months and couldn't be happier. Coming from a big green egg (great cooker), the Pint is amazing. So easy to use, holds temps like an electric oven, tons of space and built like a tank.

On the rain note from above, I've run my Humphreys in a downpour and the darn thing chugged along like a champ.
lsuillini is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2019, 11:02 AM   #38
OldGlory
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Eric

Hi I have a Humphrey’s quebd’ Box. Love it so far. All cooks have been great. Easy to run. Holds temp like an oven.

I also have BGE and a PK360. I needed more space and the Quebd Box has been great.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-12-2019, 09:46 PM   #39
Home Farm BBQ

Name/Nickname : Justin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post

Good post and informative. Couple questions.

Can you explain more about the two chimney options? Is this something that interchanges or is decided when you order?

The comment on cooking in the rain with a tent down is what I’ve been looking for. In extreme winds do you have any problems holding consistent temps? If you open the door do you have to mess with the air intake or does it recover on its own?

Thanks for the help. 270 KC might be in my future sooner than later. Humphrey’s really intrigue me too, but the uniqueness/weirdness of the the 270 intrigues me more. Cooking faster is a positive to me also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Home Farm BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-12-2019, 11:45 PM   #40
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Farm BBQ View Post
Good post and informative. Couple questions.

Can you explain more about the two chimney options? Is this something that interchanges or is decided when you order?

The comment on cooking in the rain with a tent down is what I’ve been looking for. In extreme winds do you have any problems holding consistent temps? If you open the door do you have to mess with the air intake or does it recover on its own?

Thanks for the help. 270 KC might be in my future sooner than later. Humphrey’s really intrigue me too, but the uniqueness/weirdness of the the 270 intrigues me more. Cooking faster is a positive to me also.

The chimney interchanges by switching a cap around.

The wind can be an issue if your not prepared. Get the Ironman Shield and the new Ironman intake shield. They just pop on no big deal. I have the one for the exhaust but it helps alot. If you have one for the exhaust you can lean a pan over the intake to block wind. They have a cleaner looking option for the intake now as well. Just came out very recently.
As long as you take precautions with the wind its not an issue. Maybe about 10-15 seconds to pop the shield on and your good to go.
When the wind dies down pop them off as your temp will rise about 25 degrees but it will settle back down. Mind I am using a Sumo and they seem more sensitive than the bigger models.
Anytime an intake is faced into the wind it can cause problems.

With opening the door do not mess with the intake.
It will recover. If you cook with a water pan it recovers faster than a waterless pan. Sometimes its better to leave water out of the pan and sometimes with water is better. In colder windy environments I recommend no water so you come up to temp faster and easier. It will be fine with water but it takes longer to come up to temp. When the wind dies down and it warms up just add water and it will bring it right back down to where it should be. Without water if you open the door it takes longer to recover. So if you got the time use water but time crunch you can get it going faster with a dry pan. 45 minutes is what its supposed to take to get to temp. It will hit temp at 45 mins but I like to let it settle in before putting meat on. Just an old habit that probably is not necessary. I give it about 15 minutes extra.

I recommend calling Terry and Stephanie at 270 Smokers. They can explain this alot better than I can. Very nice people.

Cooking faster yeah it really does.

Old 02-13-2019, 04:22 AM   #41
JJJBBQ
Take a breath!

Name/Nickname : J

The 270 is designed to run as a direct or inverted smoker. There are two exhausts at the top of the unit right next to each other. The one in front vents from the top of the cook chamber. The back one is connected to a chimney that vents from the bottom of the cook chamber. You choose which exhaust to close with the removable chimney cap. Cover the front exhaust and you’ve got an inverted smoker. Cover the back and it’s direct. The convection properties work best in the inverted smoker mode. Pretty ingenious design.

270 is based in Virginia. Not sure how far that is from where you live in WV, but you might be able to swing down and pick one up. If I hadn’t bought mine used, I was going to drive to the factory and just buy a new one.
Uuni 3 Pizza Oven
22” Blackstone
Arteflame
JJJBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-13-2019, 09:16 PM   #42
Home Farm BBQ

Name/Nickname : Justin

FYI for anyone looking for a 270. Talked to Stephanie today who is an owner. They have a large 270 with lots of upgrades that is used for $2300. I would have bought, but it is an inch too big to get through my back garage door to patio.

The smoker is listed on website. Pretty good deal with upgrades. Tons of cooking space. It is a year old. College traded the smoker back in for a bigger one. Always kept inside. Hopefully someone else can benefit from this.

I missed out on a standard refurbished for $1600 this morning. Had it the cart to buy and it came up sold out. They don’t get these used ones often. The standard was from their cooking team. It was fully repainted. Wish I could have got this one. Probably go with a KC once my other smoker is sold.

Home Farm BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2019, 11:53 AM   #43
kyleb76
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monte Cristo View Post
I have the 270 sumo. I was looking for something that could be used in winter with little attention to it.

It is all that and more...I do see how the have a windshiled now, but I have literally never needed anything...no wind shields, no temp controllers, no nothing. It cooks awesome BBQ and I couldn't be happier.

Super bowl sunday I did my first ever brisket (10lbs), I did 3 racks of ribs, moinkballs, and pork shots. I started the cooker at 5:30am, brisket in at 6:30, ribs in at 8:30...everything was done at 2pm. It was honestly the best day I've had cooking BBQ. Everything was sensational...and I had left the house for a few hours in between. I used no temp controller, nothing...and it was a colllldddd start to the morning that day.

I did pay a boat load to ship it up here but I couldn't be happier.

I'm sure the humphrey's is a quality product, I have no experience with them.

Now I want one of their bigger models.
I have the Sumo too, my only gripe is that I wish the racks were a little deeper and big enough for a full steam table pan. I think they made them a little deeper on the new model that is the equivalent size wise to the old Sumo.
kyleb76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2019, 12:01 PM   #44
kyleb76

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Owners usually claim faster cooking because of convection. I agree with your comment though. Never cooked on one.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
My baby backs get done in less than 4 hours at 250 and I can easily finish a small brisket in 5 hours at 270 on my Sumo. Taste and tenderness are great but I don't get a super fat smoke ring. I still get a smoke ring, just not a very thick one. I'm not really worried about it though, I just cook to eat and it tastes great. And it could have more to do with the rub than the smoker, I think more salt in the rub produces more of a smoke ring. I don't do an spg base rub like some do, I just use one rub and it's usually either Butcher BBQ's Honey Rub or Memphis BBQ Supply's Honey Rub.

Old 02-14-2019, 12:03 PM   #45
kyleb76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisted T's Q View Post
yes they defiantly cook faster than other smokers set at the same temp
I don't know, mine has never really given me any attitude, it just cooks fast.