logo

Hot and fast trial run (long)

2PigsBBQ

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I normally like to cook between 225 and 250. A buddy of mine has been preaching 275-325 fo awhile now. I finally decided to give it a go.

1st I did two racks of St. Louis ribs. On the longer rack I used Victory lane. Jalepeno season, chipotle honey and cherry.
The shorter rack I used Oakridge. HDD, comp beef & pork and finished it off with dominator.

For the sauce I used Mitchs womp with some apple cherry habanero rib candy.

I also threw in 4 pork shoulders to make room in the freezer. Rubbed with Victory chipotle honey and cherry.

I put the meat on when the smoker hit 225. Ran the smoker steady at 300-310. Used weber charcoal and apple and cherry wood.

Both racks were done around 2hrs and 20min. The color is much darker then I'm used to. I'm assuming it's because the high heat and sugar content of rubs. Please correct me if I'm wrong. I have a lot to learn. Haha. The flavor was terrific in both. The bark was good not hard at all despite what the pictures look like.

The pork butts were done in about 6hrs. They were all about 10lbs. It had good bark but I think I like the bark at 225° better. Also while most of the pork butt pulled perfect it got a bit tougher closer to the bone. That's on me for not probing in more spots I think. I cooked the butts to between 195-201.

I think with more practice I would stick with hot and fast mainly because I didnt notice to much difference with the end product but a huge difference in cook time. It was nice starting and ending my cook in daylight. Haha. I'm sure 225 will happen from time to time.

Thanks for reading all of that. Any pointers are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
I didnt wrap either one. I probably should have wrapped after the first hour or so. I'll absolutely wrap next time. Will it extend the cook time or will they be done in about the same amount of time? Thanks

Wrap based on color.

Also I find letting the rub sweat into the meat for 30-60 minutes helps with scorching

I didnt wrap either one. I probably should have wrapped after the first hour or so. I'll absolutely wrap next time. Will it extend the cook time or will they be done in about the same amount of time? Thanks

Actually, it will shorten the cook time :-D

Wrap based on color.

Also I find letting the rub sweat into the meat for 30-60 minutes helps with scorching

Ahh good to know. I rubbed and threw it right on the smoker. I'll be sure to add that to my notes. Thanks!!!

Looks great! 300° is my general cook temp for just about everything and my food comes out really good. As you've found out cooking a bit hotter with sugary rubs can really darken the meat quickly, so wrapping when you get a good color will help with that. But, as you noted, food was still great and that's all that really matters.

I've done 200-225 and up to 375-400 and outside of finishing temp I don't notice much difference at all in the final product. The only "problem" with cooking at those high temps is you really have to watch the meat closely when you're getting near the end of the cook. And venting...if you wrap you'll need to vent for longer than usual to allow all that meat to cool off a bit before re-wrapping / holding / resting.

Back