MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2019, 09:19 AM   #16
Whisky
is one Smokin' Farker

Whoa, I have never heard of having to unplug the YS640 between cooks. I have never done that with mine, by design anyways. What's up with that??
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #17
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisky View Post
Whoa, I have never heard of having to unplug the YS640 between cooks. I have never done that with mine, by design anyways. What's up with that??
Not sure about the new S models, but the manual clearly states to unplug the smoker to reset the controller after each use. I normally unplug mine for 10 seconds, right before turning it on.

I'm surprised you haven't had trouble, because I had forgot to do it early on, and it does cause temp problems.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 10:27 AM   #18
Whisky
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshw View Post
Not sure about the new S models, but the manual clearly states to unplug the smoker to reset the controller after each use. I normally unplug mine for 10 seconds, right before turning it on.

I'm surprised you haven't had trouble, because I had forgot to do it early on, and it does cause temp problems.
Clearly I need to start reading manuals....

Coincidentally, or not, the only time I have had temp problems in a couple years of owning the Yoder was yesterday. I was replacing a light fixture in the house that for some reason was on the same circuit as the outdoor plugin for the Yoder. I flipped the breaker on and off twice during that process. And thankfully caught the fact the Yoder had turned off in time. When I restarted (without unplugging it), the Yoder told me I was running way hotter then it actually was. Confirmed by a secondary thermometer. Now I know to unplug it I guess.
Whisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-15-2019, 11:58 AM   #19
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Terry

I agree with all the remedies mentioned so far. I have a YS640 I purchased in April 2019 so not far from your vintage. Things I always do:
1. Always clean out the fire pot area.
2. Always unplug the beast when not in use
3. Keep the lid open until I'm sure the ignition has taken place

Do you have the heat diffuser with the trap door (the two piece diffuser)? You should be able to see what's going on by just opening the trap door and watching. If you have a solid diffuser, well, you can't . But that's pretty much a must have upgrade. I don't understand why Yoder even sells the solid diffusers.

One other item that's neither here nor there, literally one week after I bought my YS640, Yoder announced a new model of 640 and a brand new controller. I was pissed but my dealer said in the fall when the new controllers are more available I could upgrade mine. If you need to call Yoder, ask about the new controller. Make sure you get on a list for an upgrade if possible. Just an FYI. YMMV

Old 07-15-2019, 01:17 PM   #20
electron_si
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : N/A

From reading the OP’s post it looks like he has an S model which the build date would support so the controller is completely different

Old 07-15-2019, 01:38 PM   #21
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by electron_si View Post
From reading the OP’s post it looks like he has an S model which the build date would support so the controller is completely different
I somehow missed the "s" in the 640S in the OP's original post. You are correct he would then have the brand new, and different, controller. I would hate to think that Yoder designed and deployed a new controller after years of flawless service on the existing one only to introduce a problem. That would suck.

Let's see how it turns out. Hopefully the OP will post whatever the fix is or the workaround

Old 07-15-2019, 03:40 PM   #22
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Can't you just leave the single piece diffuser out until the fire starts in the pot?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 03:53 PM   #23
Bucknekked
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
Can't you just leave the single piece diffuser out until the fire starts in the pot?

You could, but it would be a giant pain in the butt. You'd have to take out all 4 grill grates. Then heft out that 40 pound single piece of steel that is the diffuser. Reversing the process puts your hands in proximity of the lit firepot when you put the diffuser back in.

You could, but probably wouldn't ever do it more than once.

Old 07-15-2019, 04:18 PM   #24
Joshw
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknekked View Post
You could, but it would be a giant pain in the butt. You'd have to take out all 4 grill grates. Then heft out that 40 pound single piece of steel that is the diffuser. Reversing the process puts your hands in proximity of the lit firepot when you put the diffuser back in.

Don't forget, you have to remove the top shelf, to remove the 1 piece diffuser too. I wouldn't want to do it. Then again, I don't open my lid, or watch the fire pot. I just flip the switch, set the temp, and hit start. Then go prep the food. Only time I have had any problems with the Yoder, it was always my fault, and I knew it immediately.
Joshw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2019, 05:42 PM   #25
pjtexas1
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Texas Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bucknekked View Post

I see. My little Pellet Pro isn't so complicated.

SF 24x36 Midnight Edition / Mak 1-Star /Abe's 48" Insulated Cabinet / 22.5 OTG / 28" BS / Jimmy with CB Roti and pizza kit / Red Box on custom cart / Char-Griller Kettle / Barrel House Cooker / Pit Boss Copperhead / Char-Griller Akorn Jr

pjtexas1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 04:39 PM   #26
Plata-O-Plomo
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Martin

Hey all, I have been unpluging the 640s after the few times I have used it and I even give it some time after I plug it in so that the newest firmware for the Fireboard is installed. Okay, so lets have it...

As an update, all is well. I appeared to have shut it down before it completed the warm up process. Yoder believes that the over shoot would have stopped and the temp would have lowered to the default 350. I was advised by Yoder to clean out the ash, turn it on, adjust it to the setting I wanted and let it run. I did just that. I set it to 240 rather than the default 350. The Yoder over shot it by 10 degrees then settled down into the right temp after about 30 minutes. However, after stabilizing at 240 I turned it up to 350 and it over shot it by 50 degrees before starting to settle down. It did settle down after a few minutes. I am not sure if that over shoot of 50 degrees in this case and several hundred on my earlier use (see original post) is normal. Seems a bit high to me. But it did not seem to alarm Yoder.

So what I learned, keep it clean, turn it on, start at a low temp, and let it get stable. Then slowly bring it up if I am going to use a high temp so that the potential to overshoot is reduced.

Yes, the heat diffuser with trap door was worth the money. So easy just to open that trap door and shove the shop vac in to clean it out.

YODER STRONG People! And Big Green Egg, UDS, grill...It's good to have options!
YS 640s Comp Cart, UDS #1 Fat Man, UDS #2 Little Boy, Large BGE
Plata-O-Plomo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 08:01 PM   #27
KORND4WG X
is Blowin Smoke!

Glad it worked out for ya. I don’t own a pellet smoker but I learned a lot anyway
KORND4WG X is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2019, 11:22 PM   #28
Nomamm
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Ryan

Yes to what you have learned. Yoder does overshoot a lot. Needs a clean fire pot. I turn mine on, leave it alone for about 45 minutes. Perfect, usually. I see we are close neighbors, I will send a smoke signal out to ya. Haha.

Old 07-17-2019, 06:56 AM   #29
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

I think the overshoot can also be explained by the fact that not all pellets are the same. Not just different brands but just the pellets in there, some are longer than others. To get to a certain temp, the auger will push pellets into the fire for a certain time. If it pushes more long pellets in there, it means more fuel and a higher temp will be reached.

Old 07-17-2019, 01:37 PM   #30
stan5677
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjtexas1 View Post
I see. My little Pellet Pro isn't so complicated.

Totally agree set temp and go.
stan5677 is offline   Reply With Quote