First Time Pizza Cook

mrwhale

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Here's how it went: 1)Full chimney of KBB arranged around the inside of the kettle 2) Once coals were ready I placed three big chunks of Apple/Oak to add fire to the cook 3) I placed the stone on the grate and waited until the side closest to the fire was above 550 degrees 4) Put the lid about 3/4 of the way and eureka! The pizza got cooked!

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• IMG_6216.jpg
    IMG_6216.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_6217.jpg
    IMG_6217.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 342
  • IMG_6214.jpg
    IMG_6214.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 341
Too much crust for me but it looks Farkin' Delicious!
AND I BET IT WAS!!

That's one of the things we hope to improve for the next time. This really was a successful learning experience regarding getting up to temp and getting the pizza off the peel without destroying potential dinner with no backup plan.

This can be an overwhelming process as there are many variables that need to be considered in order to be successful.

Thanks for looking!
Jonah

I'd be all over that! How hot can you get the pizza stone over a fire?

That's one of the things we hope to improve for the next time. This really was a successful learning experience regarding getting up to temp and getting the pizza off the peel without destroying potential dinner with no backup plan.

This can be an overwhelming process as there are many variables that need to be considered in order to be successful.

Thanks for looking!
Jonah

You bet!...I've cooked many a beautiful pie in my Blackstone pizza oven, but last Saturday was EPIC FAIL!...was in a hurry, last minute decision to cook pizza (my daughter wanted it and who am I to say no to a princess!)....store bought dough it was, a brand I never used before (and won't again)...SUPER "STICKY"...couldn't get it off the counter, let alone the peel...mangled 3 pies, the last 2 heavy with extra flour....advance prep is key!...your pizza looks great!

You bet!...I've cooked many a beautiful pie in my Blackstone pizza oven, but last Saturday was EPIC FAIL!...was in a hurry, last minute decision to cook pizza (my daughter wanted it and who am I to say no to a princess!)....store bought dough it was, a brand I never used before (and won't again)...SUPER "STICKY"...couldn't get it off the counter, let alone the peel...mangled 3 pies, the last 2 heavy with extra flour....advance prep is key!...your pizza looks great!

This dough was also super sticky. The first one would not come off the peel despite dusting with flour. So I left the peel on the stone for part of the cook and it eventually came off. The next pie got a liberal layer of flour on the peel and the pie slid off like magic. Lesson learned.

Great looking pies......:thumb:

Thank you!

Jonah

Pies look great! I too love lots of onions.

Corn meal on the peel helps a lot. I often assemble the pie on a piece of parchment paper on the counter. You can usually do a magician's pull with that stuff . . . yank it out from under without too much fuss. Good luck!

Those pizza's are looking good to me!

So you did those on a "normal" kettle?
Coals spread out evenly, even under the stone?

Sofar, I haven't been able to make a good pizza on my 18.5" weber and I really would like to, so any extra info (and pictures) would be great!

So far, I haven't been able to make a good pizza on my 18.5" weber and I really would like to, so any extra info (and pictures) would be great!

Thank you!

I cooked these on a "normal" 22" Weber kettle with a pizza stone. No coals under the stone, just arranged around the outer perimeter of the stone. Why? I am not really sure. I saw a post from another Brethren who arranged his coals around the outside of a vortex with the. So I did the same without the vortex. It worked out well!

Sofar, I haven't been able to make a good pizza on my 18.5" weber and I really would like to, so any extra info (and pictures) would be great!

This might help you, it gets more heat to the top of the pie.
Perfect Pizza On A Weber Kettle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpuakwv85NU

This might help you, it gets more heat to the top of the pie.
Perfect Pizza On A Weber Kettle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cpuakwv85NU

I'm a Blackstone oven pizza guy, but what dads is suggesting is right on for a Weber kettle. :thumb:

Elevating the height of the pizza in a kettle will allow the top of the pie to cook much faster and will result in a more evenly cooked pizza overall. I've seen folks do this very successfully with bricks like in the video, as well as using cast iron skillets as well.

I'm a Blackstone oven pizza guy, but what dads is suggesting is right on for a Weber kettle. :thumb:

Elevating the height of the pizza in a kettle will allow the top of the pie to cook much faster and will result in a more evenly cooked pizza overall. I've seen folks do this very successfully with bricks like in the video, as well as using cast iron skillets as well.

Only fair that I put the link where I found the video. Lot's more info.
http://amazingribs.com/recipes/pizza_and_flatbreads_on_the_grill/zen_of_pizza.html

Back