MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 08-13-2016, 09:58 PM   #1
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Default Failure to launch. A 007 pizza cook

Second go at pizza.

I still haven't bought a peel and am launching pies off a cutting board. My 1st pizza, i couldn't transfer, ended up on a pizza pan instead of the stone. This time i floured the board (my peel) heavily. Like very heavily. I heard of corn meal, or sesame seed or semolina work better.

At first i though i was in trouble again. Apparently there is some technique here and you do actually launch the pie of sorts. I managed to accomplish the transfer with a only a slight distortion. The flour did the trick but i definitely used too much

This one came out much better but i still have a ways to go. I think i should have taken it off a few minutes earlier. I topped the pie with mushrooms, pepperoni, and panchetta. Im not sure if im a fan of the Kraft mozzarella any cheese recommendations?

Does anyone else eat hot pizza knowing they are going to get cheese burns on the roof of your mouth but do it anyway?

Old 08-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #2
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Killer pie dude, and yes have plenty of scars on the roof of my pie hole to prove it, and yes I can be a real dumb f**K when I'm hungry and that pie is calling out "eat me".
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 08-13-2016, 10:06 PM   #3
Jason TQ

I use corn meal and works well. Parchment paper is quite common for an easy transfer and lots of folks use that. Just slide off with the paper.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:08 PM   #4
SDAR
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Allen

Yeah, too much flour to launch is not good for the texture on the tongue while eating, and too hot is not good for the texture of your mouth's roof. Semolina has been my answer. Not much, but there is a learning curve. Lay a little on one side prior to launch and then drag it under the pie with cooking twine and shake. Once it shakes enough to launch, launch. It'll give you an idea of how much to use. Semolina is like little flour ball bearings. Good luck.
SDAR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2016, 10:13 PM   #5
smoke ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason TQ View Post
I use corn meal and works well. Parchment paper is quite common for an easy transfer and lots of folks use that. Just slide off with the paper.
Thats right, forgot to mention paper. From what I've read each way affects the taste and/or texture of the crust. I have lots of things to try.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:36 PM   #6
thunderalley3
Full Fledged Farker

I have a buddy that works where they have a big wood fired oven, they get the pizza on the peel, lightly floured, lift one edge slightly and blow under the dough so it lifts off the peel slightly, then it will slide right off into the oven. It looks really easy, but he does about 200 pies a night so watching him do it and trying it for the first time are probably two different things
thunderalley3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2016, 10:54 PM   #7
BillN

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke ninja View Post
Thats right, forgot to mention paper. From what I've read each way affects the taste and/or texture of the crust. I have lots of things to try.
I have used parchment with great success for years... I use a rimless cookie sheet as my peel, it slides under the parchment like ice going onto the stone and off. However parchment is only good to about 500 not sure how hot your cooking at.
PK 360 w/Grill Grates
BillN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-2016, 10:58 PM   #8
cfrazier77
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Craig

To answer your question about cheese the st Louis correct answer is Provel.

Thanks from:--->
Old 08-13-2016, 11:20 PM   #9
jsperk
Babbling Farker

Good looking pie and yes I do burn the roof of my mouth sometimes.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:37 PM   #10
bbqwizard
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Phillip

Awesome pizza man!

1. Coarse corn meal will save your pizzas life.
2. No peel? a thick piece of cardboard works fine in a pinch.
3. Coarse corn meal is your friend.
By His grace, for His glory!
bbqwizard is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2016, 01:33 AM   #11
Enrico Brandizzi
Babbling Farker

Great looking pizza !

BBQness is on Youtube, Instagram & Flickr [/B]
Enrico Brandizzi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2016, 06:47 AM   #12
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

I use parchment, even at very high temps. I cut around the pie to leave just a touch outside the dough so it doesn't burn. Slide the paper and pie on to a hot stone, and give it a minute or so and pull the paper out.

I have used corn meal but don't love having it on my crust. I should try semolina.

Old 08-14-2016, 07:34 AM   #13
Norm
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Private

When I saw the tittle "failure to launch" I wondered what you were talking about. Thankfully it was pizza so you can imagine the relief I felt for you!

I buy my cheese from these folks.

https://www.burnettdairy.com/shop

It freezes well especially for use on pizza. Semolina is better than corn meal but I just use flour and am quick about putting it on the peel and into the blackstone. Your pizza looks good to me though!
Norm is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2016, 07:37 AM   #14
Decoy205
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : John

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
I use parchment, even at very high temps. I cut around the pie to leave just a touch outside the dough so it doesn't burn. Slide the paper and pie on to a hot stone, and give it a minute or so and pull the paper out.

I have used corn meal but don't love having it on my crust. I should try semolina.
This is about what I do except i pull the paper out after 2 min so the dough gets the stone. I prefer a wetter dough so the parchment paper really works for me.

Here's the pies I did yesterday on the Akorn:

For cheese my main go to is fresh mozzarella. It has the best texture and melts awesome. After that it's part skim blocks that I shred with a grater maybe mix provolone in there. Pre shredded is definitely the easirst. They don't always melt right so I use the whole milk variety if I'm using that.
Decoy205 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #15
Fwismoker

All I know is it looks stupid good! I've used corn meal trying to move Papa Murphy Pies and that worked but now I know that the card board they used can be used right on top of a pizza stone.

The 007 is a baking machine!

Visit [COLOR="Red"]OctoForks[/COLOR] in Sales & Ventures

Website & Blog: [url]www.octoforks.com[/url]
Fwismoker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
007, Pizza