I found a new brand of pellets

jermoQ

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Trying these out. The farm and home I have been getting GMG pellets from has these Pur Smoke Pellets 40lbs for $10 or $11. Anybody else seen them? They also are carrying the Papas brand which are cheap. I am going to have to spend some time in the lab, testing! :eyebrows::bounce:

Last edited:
I just cooked 8 briskets that ranged form $50-$60 this weekend, so take this advice with that in mind, just go to Academy and get their B&B comp blend. They are like $20 for a 40# bag, worth the money in my humble opinion. Low ash, high BTU!

I just cooked 8 briskets that ranged form $50-$60 this weekend, so take this advice with that in mind, just go to Academy and get their B&B comp blend. They are like $20 for a 40# bag, worth the money in my humble opinion. Low ash, high BTU!

Thanks Calvin! B&B is one of the first brands I used. Dad got them for me one Christmas. I liked them, but couldn't find them locally. I tend to shop local and not order online with pellets but have to go 55 miles one way or 60 miles the other way to find an Academy store.

I've been using the Papa's hickory pellets. Good stuff. Very little dust in the bag. Pellets are a nice dark brown. Not the cheapest, but far from what Lumberjack and other premium brands go for.

So far, the Pur Smoke are working fine. I dont have another bag for comparison but it seems like they have a slightly different smell in bag than Pitboss or GMG brand. Not sure if it is good or bad? The ABT's and Johnsonville hot links were good tonight but I will have to smoke something to really tell the difference. Plenty of BTU's from my novice perspective. Oh, and no those arent red jalapenos, they are Fresno chilis. Little bit tougher skin than a jalapeno so I may not use them stuffed again.

Last edited:
I agree. The 40lb competition bag I just used seemed to have a lot of dust.

Back