How to cook beef short ribs?

tbag

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Tried to make beef short ribs two weeks ago but ended up dry and the fat had not melted. 275-300 Fahrenheit for about 4-5 hours.

What did I do wrong?

What's the best way to cook beef short ribs?

Sounds like they were not cooked enough. Beef ribs take quite a while. Just cook them until a probe or skewer goes in all the way to the bone with little to no resistance. I have only done them once, but they took more along the lines of 6-7 hours to finally finish.

You didn't cook them long enough. When I cook full plate of beef short ribs it takes approx 6ish hours and thati s cooking at 300-325.

I do a light rub, usually just salt & pepper, but sometimes some garlic powder added. Then I put them in the pit, unwrapped, at about 275* (only because that is a sweet spot for my UDS). When I get a decent color, they get wrapped and I take them until the meat probes tender.

After that, pull them, let them rest for 45 minutes or so wrapped up in a towel (I often put them in my Dutch oven), and feast away.

If undercooked, they will be dry, which is what I'm guessing you had happen. Especially if the fat didn't render.

Give them another go and be sure you get that probe tenderness.

That's what I thought:( So beef short ribs is worth trying again? I have never tasted.

I cook them similar to a brisket. Temp does not matter. It is done when it is done. Probe tender. And yes, it is worth it.

That's what I thought:( So beef short ribs is worth trying again? I have never tasted.

VERY much worth it. Once you nail them, you'll be in beef heaven. I absolutely love them.

For me 3 h smoking @250F + 4 h in butcher paper @250F. Ended perfect, moist melting meat.
This was

IMG_2475 di BBQness, su Flickr

Last time went wrong cause I wrapped with TOO MUCH butcher paper and in 4 h it got only 8F. Almost a disaster at dinner time. I wrapped 4 times + the spare paper under.

This was the reason

IMG_3828 di BBQness, su Flickr

On my kettle, they would have been about ready to be probed. How are you measuring the temp? Thermometer location can give a different temp than what the meat is experiencing at grate level. The more detail you give as to cooker, thermometer location, the more help we can offer.

Last edited:
I used a weber kettle. Followed the temperature gauge that comes with the kettle.
Thinking about using the primo oval do the next time.

Watched the Franklin video and it seems easy. Do you guys use foil or not?

I used a weber kettle. Followed the temperature gauge that comes with the kettle.
Thinking about using the primo oval do the next time.

Watched the Franklin video and it seems easy. Do you guys use foil or not?

Those ribs were probably cooking a good 50* lower than your kettle indicated. Heat rises and that built in thermo takes temps at the hottest part of the cooking chamber (save for the grate directly over the fire).

I've used both foil and paper to wrap short ribs and both work well.

Ive gone close to 7hrs at 250. They take a really long time to break down. I seem to remember them probing nice way before they were actually done.

I have followed with a meat probe and the last time it was showing about 212.

Yeah, a plate of beef ribs are delicious, they take about 6 hours to cook on my WSM running around 280* where she likes to run. I don't usually foil or wrap, just let them ride until a toothpick slides easily between the bones.

Hint: Check between each bone on the rack. Made one plate that was tender all the way across until the last (4th) bone.

See my most recent short rib plate cook HERE.

The easiest way to cook short ribs or any type of rib is cook to tender. If you wrap i would use butcher paper instead of foil, foil braises the ribs and kills the bark. Wrapping is not necessary. Patience is key to delicious ribs.

The first time I cooked them I hit em with S&P like they stole something and smoked at around 230-250 for about 6-8 hrs until the probe slid in like butter (thanks to the posts on this site). They came out fantastic. On the ones after I only changed the rub to something a little sweeter (orders from the BOSS) and is my favorite thing to cook on my mini-WSM! I never wrap, but thats just me. Please try them again and you will not be disappointed!

Back