MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-15-2012, 10:00 PM   #76
Q-Dat
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitmaster T View Post
Bo shizzle.... I knew this would start something... they cannot help ignoring everything and focusing on the baking soda. LOL
People get distracted looking for a magic bullet.
Q-Dat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2012, 02:39 PM   #77
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
I knew that baking soda helps to speed up browning onions and I knew that pretzels get their color from being dipped in baking soda/water so I figured why not try it on the brisket. If it works on those things it might just work on the brisket. I figured if it speeds up browning, that's what I needed for a HnF cook. Doing some reading I learned that the higher PH is what actually speeds up the MR.
I did not expect this answer and learned two things from it.... one I might use next time I make my onion soul bread. In fact... I might use it tomorrow when I have some considerble onions to brown. Hmmm

Edict.
Pitmaster T is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2012, 02:40 PM   #78
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

I still can't fugure out why i get a stellar bark and you have troubles.... you use 270 too right?

Edict.

Old 06-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #79
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cook between 275 and as high as 300ish. Depends on how much I have in the smoker.

Old 06-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #80
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

The only time I ever have a problem is if I screw up and put a fat cap up or something.

Edict.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:51 PM   #81
Boshizzle

IT may be the foil that I use. I usually cook 2 to 2.5 hours with smoke then another 2 hours in foil.

Old 06-16-2012, 04:58 PM   #82
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
The only time I ever have a problem is if I screw up and put a fat cap up or something.
You should add this to the Final Edict.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2012, 05:04 PM   #83
Durzil
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boshizzle View Post
IT may be the foil that I use. I usually cook 2 to 2.5 hours with smoke then another 2 hours in foil.
Meaning your usage of foil or the actual brand?

Old 06-16-2012, 05:19 PM   #84
Boshizzle

Foil in general.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:43 PM   #85
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag76 View Post
You should add this to the Final Edict.

That should not sound that way. The fatcap should be placed different places depending on different circumstances. So fat placement is crucial only depending really on your gear. In my case what I meant by screw up is.... if you see the video, you will see I cover those suckers with a lot of rub and often, if I am not organized, I place a fatcap up.... in my case that cooks the meat side crispy and the fat side is soggy.

Edict.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #86
Ag76
is One Chatty Farker

Question I am a little confused.

Quote:
That should not sound that way. The fatcap should be placed different places depending on different circumstances. So fat placement is crucial only depending really on your gear. In my case what I meant by screw up is.... if you see the video, you will see I cover those suckers with a lot of rub and often, if I am not organized, I place a fatcap up.... in my case that cooks the meat side crispy and the fat side is soggy.
So you are not saying to always put your brisket on the pit fat side down? That is what I thought you meant.

Or are you saying that whether you put the fat cap up or the fat cap down is dependent on your type of pit - i.e., fire in a fire box on the side of the pit (fat cap up) vs fire on the bottom of the pit below the meat (fat cap down)?

I plan on watching the videos when I get a chance.

Thanks.

Lyfe Tyme - 16" x 40" Single Lid With Firebox

3 Weber Kettles

2 WSMs
Ag76 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-16-2012, 07:25 PM   #87
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag76 View Post
So you are not saying to always put your brisket on the pit fat side down? That is what I thought you meant.

Or are you saying that whether you put the fat cap up or the fat cap down is dependent on your type of pit - i.e., fire in a fire box on the side of the pit (fat cap up) vs fire on the bottom of the pit below the meat (fat cap down)?

I plan on watching the videos when I get a chance.

Thanks.

Fat, foil, butcher paper, plastic wrap (which is what I use mostly) all those things are tools rules that one may need to pull out depending on circumstance. I meant this:

Whether you put the fat cap up or the fat cap down is dependent on your type of pit - i.e., fire in a fire box on the side of the pit (fat cap up) vs fire on the bottom of the pit below the meat (fat cap down)---- basically where your most aggressive heat comes from. I have a pit that has a very hot diverter plate because the smoke travels under it before it enters the main chamber.

Lots of guys that have softer pits (that means they are gentle or run gentle) put that fat up.

I can say one thing... my rub is pretty cool because I wrap my stuff tighter than anyone with foil and it gets immersed in its own juices but when it sits a while it pops back.

Edict.

Thanks from:--->
Old 06-16-2012, 07:26 PM   #88
Pitmaster T
Babbling Farker

Hey sjitxllzle? Tomorrow I am doing a video on Fajitas. This means onions and peppers will be cooked in bulk on my flat grill.

Do you want me to film a baking soda experiement?

Edict.

Old 06-16-2012, 07:28 PM   #89
Boshizzle

Heck yeah!

Old 06-16-2012, 07:33 PM   #90
Boshizzle

Pitmaster T when u gonna start selling your rub? I got money in hand waiting.

Tags
bark, brisket, HnF, Hot and Fast