MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:16 PM   #16
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Thank you, Boshizzle for sharing! Looks like a great recipe, and I'll definitely make up a big batch!

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #17
Grabnabber
Babbling Farker

Will be BBQ'ing some squirrels this weekend, too, so the timing's perfect!

Old 05-27-2014, 08:45 PM   #18
va_connoisseur
Full Fledged Farker

Thanks for the recipe. I will be giving it a shot
[LIST][*]250 gallon, custom reverse flow smoker with warming cabinet aka Hawg Coffin[*]120 gallon reverse flow aka Hog Coffin (retired)[*] 22 and 18.5 WSM[*]Known as Spatulaman[*]Owner of Plate BBQ LLC[/LIST]
va_connoisseur is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2014, 07:40 PM   #19
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grabnabber View Post
Will be BBQ'ing some squirrels this weekend, too, so the timing's perfect!
You gotta post some pics of that!

Old 05-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #20
Gore
Phizzy

Location: Hiding out from blood suck ghost snake gods, Nazis and scrap iron chefs trying to harvest body parts
Name/Nickname : Gore (surprise!)

Hey Bo, can you tell me how this was modified for our modern palates? I'm guessing it might be in the amount of sugar you add. I'm a bit curious because the apple cider vinegar I make is not nearly as sour as what I buy in the store.
(='.'=) This is the rabbit baby. Invests him in yours signature,
(")_(") and the help rabbit baby takes over control of the world!
Hmmmm, I wonder, WWGALD? Avatar courtesy of Grillman and NorthwestBBQ

Promoted by Bigabyte to "Idiot #1" , and dubbed "Phizzy" by Sir Ron.
Gore is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-28-2014, 10:48 PM   #21
gtr

Mine's cooling off right now. Nice and tangy!
50" Klose BYC, Spitjack XB85, 22.5 WSM, Backwoods Chubby, UDS, WRK, 26" & 22.5" Weber Kettles, Jumbo Joe, WGA, WSJ/MUDS, Kanka Grill, a piece of expanded metal I throw over the fire pit sometimes, Stealthy Black & Vol Orange Thermapens
Displaced East Tennesseean
Proud recipient of a Tick
Former outlaw MOINK baller, now IMBAS Certified, but still lookin' over my shoulder.
"Relax, it's only BBQ." - Bigmista, 2013
"Don't worry about playing a lot of notes. Just find one pretty one." - Miles Davis
WTFWGALD?
gtr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2014, 02:30 PM   #22
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore View Post
Hey Bo, can you tell me how this was modified for our modern palates? I'm guessing it might be in the amount of sugar you add. I'm a bit curious because the apple cider vinegar I make is not nearly as sour as what I buy in the store.
This sauce is modeled on what I remember eating as a kid but only using ingredients that were used up and to the 1800s in Virginia.

Here are some of the 20th century influences that I know of. First, the recipe calls for modern versions of the ingredients. The old timers would have probably made their own vinegar out of apples, walnuts, raspberries, or whatever they had on hand. The sugar would probably have been some sort of raw sugar rather than refined white sugar with molasses added (modern brown sugar). Also, they would have used much less sugar. That much liquid to be used on meat would probably have had no more than 2 TBS of sugar at most. Then, of course, I am calling for modern ketchup and modern yellow mustard. Starting in the very late 1800's and early 1900's people developed huge sweet tooths which is probably a result of the explosion in commercially available products starting in that era.

Now, if the vinegar you use isn't as acidic as ACV, reduce the amount of water in the recipe. The sole purpose of the water is to tone down the tang from the vinegar. I put enough water in the recipe to stop my wife and daughter's jaws from cringing when they tasted it.

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-29-2014, 04:23 PM   #23
deguerre

I'll be taking these mods into account. I've become almost obsessed with the idea of boiling down 13 lbs of tomatoes now...
[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-29-2014, 07:15 PM   #24
landarc

Quote:
Originally Posted by deguerre View Post
I'll be taking these mods into account. I've become almost obsessed with the idea of boiling down 13 lbs of tomatoes now...
I've done that

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 12:46 AM   #25
THoey1963

Name/Nickname : Terry

How much sauce is created via this recipe?

Lone Star Grillz Insulated Cabinet Smoker / Weber Summit Charcoal Grilling (WSCG) Station / CyberQ / Slow N Sear with Drip N Griddle

WSCG Review [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=245542"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. WSM Mods [URL="http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=201917"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL]. My Brisket Guide [URL="http://bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=238834"][COLOR=Blue][B]HERE[/B][/COLOR][/URL].
THoey1963 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 06:20 AM   #26
NeilH
is one Smokin' Farker

Yeah the sa will be hard to beat.
NeilH is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:36 AM   #27
skimbop
Found some matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
I made a batch yesterday. It filled a 12 oz squeeze bottle and most of a pint-sized mason jar.

Oh and I used it on some ribs last night. Thin enough to cover from the squeeze bottle, but just thick enough to stay put. They were amazing. My wife is demanding I never even think about using anything else on ribs ever again.

We'll see...
skimbop is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 02:41 PM   #28
Boshizzle

Quote:
Originally Posted by THoey1963 View Post
I'd guess around 30 ounces.

Old 05-30-2014, 06:14 PM   #29
mchar69
Quintessential Chatty Farker

I love your posts. Wrote down the recipe like they did in the old days.
Keep it coming, you're rocking.
mchar69 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-2014, 09:14 PM   #30
HookedOnQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Thanks for the recipe bo! Got a batch cooling off right now

Tags
barbecue sauce, BBQ Sauce, sauce, VA BBQ, Virginia, Virginia barbecue, Virginia BBQ