MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 06-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #46
Smokesignalsfromtx
is one Smokin' Farker

Airflow is your problem. Open your exhaust and use splits (log/real wood splits). If you haven't watched the BBQ Franklin videos on YouTube yet, you might want to. Also, briquettes make A LOT of ash. Make sure you remove the ash under your fire grate to obtain proper airflow. I've also seen others raise their fire grates to assist with proper airflow.

OH! and crack your side door of your firebox open to help with airflow and fire management. You want a good clean fire, not a pile of smoldering wood.
Backwoods Party G2, Backwoods Chubby G2, Weber OTG 22.5 (Homer series, RIP), Weber OTG 22.5, WSM 22.5, WSM 18.5, Weber Jumbo Joe, Weber Smokey Joe, Guru DX2 (X3), Insainly [B][I]Fast[/I][/B] [B][I][COLOR="Red"]RED[/COLOR][/I][/B] THERMOPEN MK4, Super, Duper [I][B]Fast[/B][/I] [COLOR=red][B][I]RED[/I][/B][/COLOR] THERMOPEN, Maverick 732,733, Weber S-330, Blackstone Flat Grill, Brinkman Electric Gourmet(X2) "The Twins"

Rick
Smokesignalsfromtx is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 06-06-2017, 08:18 AM   #47
smoke ninja
somebody shut me the fark up.

Notorious Q.U.E.

With al due respect

Your new so maybe you have yet to experience the community feel around here.

Smitty is not some anonymous figure behind a keyboard. Many members know him, heck i could recognize the man and ive never met him furthermore over years he has demonstrated his knowledge through buying and researching cookers and posting that information here. He is what i call a vetted source.

There are many "experts" on tge board in various subjects. You can head their advice or count all opinions the same, i dont care.

As for me....im notoruous enough around here myself

Old 06-06-2017, 10:50 AM   #48
tom b

If Smitty said it and Ninja agrees, I'd go with that.....

Old 06-06-2017, 11:12 AM   #49
SmittyJonz

The OP still hasn't answered if he runs a baffle or plates or such - unless I have missed it. ?

The Real Ok Joes of the 1990's were 3/16" and 1/4"and may have had a small 1/8" smoker, until Charbroil bought them around 2000. When they first bought them they put out 1/8" or 11 guage units but when they got them placed in Walmarts and Lowes they went to 16 or 14 guage like the ones now - same thing they did with New Braunsfels about same time frame - +/- 2,3 years...
But who cares - that's NOT his issue on this Highland.....

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 06-06-2017 at 11:21 AM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-06-2017, 01:04 PM   #50
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mookieman View Post
I did try backing off on the smokestack a little at a time. It's not the fire in the firebox that's the problem. I can get that hot enough to melt the paint off the sides. I'm have trouble transferring the heat over for some reason.
The reason is because you insist on using charcoal rather than wood splits. The charcoal has had almost all of the moisture burned out of it, so there aren't a ton of gases being produced when it burns. Wood splits, on the other hand, are full of water (good wood splits have about 15-20% of their mass being taken up by water), so when they burn they give off a TON of steam as well as NO (Nitric Oxide or Nitrogen Monoxide) and CO2 (Carbon Dioxide). These gases moves very easily in warm air so this makes it exceptionally easy for something like the drafting system of a smoker to pull those very hot gases from the firebox, into the smoking chamber, and out the exhaust stack. This is why the offset works so well as it allows for a very clean fire and it the drafting system pulls the air into the smoking chamber and out the exhaust pipe.

As others have already stated you'll need to remove all the bull**** attachments / "mods" you've added and start cooking with the splits. You'll easily be able to get your smoking chamber to 400F with just a few medium sized splits. I also noticed that you said you couldn't get them in your area and that's just not true (if you are located in Flint, MI as your profile suggests).

https://flint.craigslist.org/grd/6162022338.html

Craigslist is your friend when it comes to wood for your smoker and I have found I have the best luck when I search "firewood" rather than something like "bbq wood" or "wood for smoker." Make sure you're getting hardwoods and NO pines, spruces, or furs.

Here's an old post from this forum which lists a ton of woods for BBQ... just make sure what you're getting delivered is on this list.
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...77&postcount=2

I'm pretty sure I posted this video in your previous thread but I'm posting it here again so that maybe you'll watch it and learn something.

Good luck man... we all want you to succeed and enjoy your offset smoker. EVERYBODY is telling you the same thing for a reason... because it works. Cheers!

Thanks from: --->