Would a low tank not get a grill hot?

SmokeRingsMatter

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
This is a weird situation, and i am not sure if it coincidence or not.

My tank on the blackstone was running low, so i went to a local gas station and swapped it for a "full tank" Rhino brand. Anyway,so the blue tamper cap was on, but when i got it home i noticed the valve was fully open. It felt heavier then my almost empty tank but when i connected it to my blackstone, even with every burner on HI, its like a low sautee. I could barely carmelize chopped onions.

I tried running just one burner full blast which does see to show more output, but still not enough to even get veg oil to smoke point.

Question is, did my blackstone take a crap or is this a bad tank?

Sometimes if you open the valve on the tank to fast the safety will kick in close it back up, make sure burners on black stone are off and then open tank valve slowly.

When i noticed the valve was open before i connected it, i closed it. (its a habit, and a good one), but yeah ive done everything you have mentioned. I am going to take it back to the gas station and ask to speak to a manager. Losing $25 for a overpriced refill doesn't sit well with me.

I have this same issue occasionally on my blackstone. I believe the regulator is going out to lunch. If I leave it sit for a few minutes with the burners off and the tank open it outputs the correct pressure. Sometimes turning the tank on and off, on and off several times works as well.

I have a new regulator in my amazon cart but haven't bought it yet. (They're cheap)

I have this same issue occasionally on my blackstone. I believe the regulator is going out to lunch. If I leave it sit for a few minutes with the burners off and the tank open it outputs the correct pressure. Sometimes turning the tank on and off, on and off several times works as well.

I have a new regulator in my amazon cart but haven't bought it yet. (They're cheap)

Well, this is disturbing. I guess i will have to get an exchange to narrow it down.

I have that occasional issue on my charbroil grill and simply disconnect the regulator for a couple seconds and reattach. once it lights up full burn it stays good to go through the cook.

I'm on my 3rd Blackstone regulator, that's a classic sign it's toast if the LP tank isn't empty.

20 pound LP tanks weigh in around 17 pounds empty, a cheap hanging luggage scale is a good way to get some idea of how much gas is left. The tank exchange companies rarely fill them more than 50% expect to see 27-30 pounds max in one.

This is a classic sign of the safety valve on the tank needing to be reset.

Turn off the grill. Turn off the tank.

Turn on the tank SLOWLY. Try to light.

If this doesn't work, then turn off the grill. Turn off the tank. Disconnect the tank. Bang the tank down forcefully on some hard surface a few times.

Reconnect and try again.

If all that fails, try another tank, and if that fails suspect the regulator.

My tank on the blackstone was running low, so i went to a local gas station and swapped it for a "full tank" Rhino brand. Anyway,so the blue tamper cap was on, but when i got it home i noticed the valve was fully open. It felt heavier then my almost empty tank but when i connected it to my blackstone, even with every burner on HI, its like a low sautee. I could barely carmelize chopped onions.

I tried running just one burner full blast which does see to show more output, but still not enough to even get veg oil to smoke point.

Question is, did my blackstone take a crap or is this a bad tank?

Looks to me that the tank was empty. If the valve was open that blue tamper cap is not going to help.

If this doesn't work, then turn off the grill. Turn off the tank. Disconnect the tank. Bang the tank down forcefully on some hard surface a few times.

^
^
^
^

This... Although I recommend dirt surface rather than concrete or asphalt. The OPD can get stuck in the up/closed position on occasion.

I dunno about the Blackstone, but I have pressure gauges on my gas grills that have a safety feature. If the grill's controls are on when I crack the tank open the safety thinks there's a leak and will throttle way back. I have to close the grill's controls before turning the gas tanks on.

I agree with those above, try the reset operations first.

The regulator on my Jenn Air gasser took a dump a few years ago, showing the same symptoms you are describing.
Under $20 for a replacement reg from Lowes and back in business.

Sorry guys. I decided to go all pellet today. Its was so nice out, family wanted to have a picnic. (just the wife,our son, and I. I thawed out a bunch of stuff from the freezer (boneless pork chops, two ribeyes, and 4 boneless chicken thighs. Steaks went on with some black garlic powder, chops went on with some bovine bold, and the chicken thighs got dipped in some Blues hog. And i did some baked potatoes wrapped in foil on the gas fire pit.

We played Horshoes, and people actually came by wanting to play and drink with us. I felt bad turning them down as i didnt want to get shut down by the poe-poe. All in all it was a great day, the wife and kid are camping out in the tent in the backyard. No thanks, lol i'll give them till midnight before they give up. Debating on latching the chain, haha

20200406-213758.jpg

Last edited:
Back