MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 04-05-2020, 03:32 PM   #31
Whodat985
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Whodat985

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesmoke View Post
Firewood seller's know instantly, as soon as the question is asked.

If a buyer cannot look at wood and determine a basic level of aging and dryness, they will ask "is it seasoned?".

"Why sure it is, ready to burn".

Fireplace firewood bought in the spring here in Louisiana, will most likely be racked until fall, allowing most folks that burn it in a fireplace, to be satisfied with how it burns come November, especially with a gas igniter. That gives most fireplace firewood seller's half a year to not have their claim of "seasoned" come into question.

Check with your supplier, for wood that is ready to use today. Tell him you are using it for a wood burning smoker. For use today. If you just bought "fireplace firewood", and your supplier can't get you truly seasoned wood, then find someone else.

I cut my own oak and pecan from trees on my place, mostly large limbs that come down from storms. Happens regularly enough to keep me in wood without having to buy, and I am grateful for that.

The pictures below are from a rack that holds pecan that I cut in August of '19. It has less than 8 months of seasoning. It is exposed to weather, uncovered, and needs to be split.

This pecan rack still needs another 4-6 months to be ready. Took the pictures today.

But you can see the cracking starting from drying, even without being split.

Attachment 179760

Attachment 179761

Attachment 179762
Thanks man for your reply. I’m also from Louisiana. There’s was a tree guy here I had gotten wood from. It wasn’t seasoned. I went out and found a guy in BR that told me he had cooking wood. He deliverers to restaurants around BR. None of the wood when I went to get my wood looked liked your. Yesterday I did some research an found out a tall tale sign of good seasoned wood is it starts cracking on the ends like yours. I’ve only bought wood for my smoke house from big box stores. Think that’ll be the only places I get it from. Just thought I’d keep some moneys in my committee
Whodat985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2020, 07:00 PM   #32
homesmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whodat985 View Post
Thanks man for your reply. I’m also from Louisiana. There’s was a tree guy here I had gotten wood from. It wasn’t seasoned. I went out and found a guy in BR that told me he had cooking wood. He deliverers to restaurants around BR. None of the wood when I went to get my wood looked liked your. Yesterday I did some research an found out a tall tale sign of good seasoned wood is it starts cracking on the ends like yours. I’ve only bought wood for my smoke house from big box stores. Think that’ll be the only places I get it from. Just thought I’d keep some moneys in my committee
I have a buddy in BR, and another in NO, and both of them for years, have been getting all the pecan and oak they can use, by simply watching when they drive through their neighborhoods. Apparently there is always somebody trimming, limbs just falling, or for whatever reason, wood by the curb on evenings before trash pickup. Usually cut down in size for the trash folks to be able to manage.
They both run stick burners, and haven't bought wood in years. They dry it themselves, and have to put it back for a while to season. They are both too cheap, "frugal" as they say, to buy wood. There are oaks and pecan trees all over Thibodaux. You might have to cut it up, and split it, but then you wouldn't have to wonder if it was seasoned to your liking. DIY

Last edited by homesmoke; 04-05-2020 at 07:09 PM..
homesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-05-2020, 07:33 PM   #33
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
The guy told me last year. With my research there the wood should have cracks on the face of the flat part. I don’t have any I’m leaning towards wood is not seasoned
go buy a bag of mini logs from Academy or Larger Grocery store and see if there is a difference......

Thanks from: --->
Old 04-05-2020, 08:21 PM   #34
Whodat985
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Whodat985

Quote:
Originally Posted by homesmoke View Post
I have a buddy in BR, and another in NO, and both of them for years, have been getting all the pecan and oak they can use, by simply watching when they drive through their neighborhoods. Apparently there is always somebody trimming, limbs just falling, or for whatever reason, wood by the curb on evenings before trash pickup. Usually cut down in size for the trash folks to be able to manage.
They both run stick burners, and haven't bought wood in years. They dry it themselves, and have to put it back for a while to season. They are both too cheap, "frugal" as they say, to buy wood. There are oaks and pecan trees all over Thibodaux. You might have to cut it up, and split it, but then you wouldn't have to wonder if it was seasoned to your liking. DIY
Crazy small world I’m from thibodaux as well. That is my plan my father has a live oak. I will be be going there an cut some limbs to season my self. Thanks for your help
Whodat985 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-06-2020, 03:04 AM   #35
homesmoke
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Quote:
Crazy small world I’m from thibodaux as well. That is my plan my father has a live oak. I will be be going there an cut some limbs to season my self. Thanks for your help
I'm not from Thibodaux, just have had the good fortune to have traveled the state extensively, and have been to Thibodaux many times.
homesmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 04-06-2020, 05:31 AM   #36
mike243
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

When the tree was cut makes a big difference imo, if in the fall when the leaves have came off the sap is down pretty good it wont take any where near as long to get dry enuf to use if split at covered out of the rain, don't ever expect it to dry out good if not covered, you will get mildew and mold on it ,

Old 04-06-2020, 06:11 AM   #37
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike243 View Post
When the tree was cut makes a big difference imo, if in the fall when the leaves have came off the sap is down pretty good it wont take any where near as long to get dry enuf to use if split at covered out of the rain, don't ever expect it to dry out good if not covered, you will get mildew and mold on it ,
Not to be contrary, but my experience has been pretty much the opposite. Regardless of the time of year it's cut, the wood needs to dry through the summer; the hot weather helps. Wood cut in the fall will not be ready to burn until the following fall. However, wood cut in the winter or early spring can be pressed into service in late fall of the same year, if necessary. Not ideal, but it will burn if given enough air flow.

Also, wood should be left uncovered and exposed to the elements while it is seasoning. Sun and wind are critical for the drying process. Covering green wood holds in moisture and delays the seasoning process. Getting rained on does not add moisture back into the wood as long as it is stacked neatly up off the ground, which allows the rain water to drain off. Of course, once it has seasoned fully, you'll want to move it into a covered location so that it's ready for use at a moment's notice.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->