Charcoal Grilling for Dum1es

Gettinit

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am used to cooking with gas and I do not know where the search box is.

Season a kettle?

Charcoal favorites for your briquettes and lump?

Can I use the charcoal left in the grill another day if I am done cooking today?

I noticed all posts I read here people use the bottom holes to adjust temperature and I agree but do you ever adjust the top? Why?

Water pans? What could you possibly need them for?

Do you use anything like cast iron pans to help keep an even cooking temp? Seems like everyone doesn't need it.

Any other ignorant beginner questions left out? :icon_blush::becky:

No need to season a kettle...

Briquettes and lump work fine...

You can reuse lump charcoal fairly easily. Regular briquettes yes, but not such a great idea...

You can adjust airflow at either or both sides. You may need to use both to keep it low and slow...

A water pan doesn't have a big impact in a kettle grill.

I have never used heat syncs of any kind in my kettle... everything works fine.

Get cookin!

Search is at the bottom of the page.

Coal can be reused yes, but keep in mind it will not burn as long, i would reuse coal for fast things like hot dogs steaks etc, but you will need more used coal to hit the same temp as unused like a full bucket vs half just as and example. A water pan on the grate over the coals and under the meat will help with stable temps, i use water smokers but dont normally use it in my kettles.

the search bar its at the bottom
Screenshot from 2013-11-09 13:16:23.jpg

I reuse my charcoal, I use Lump, water pans NEVER, you can use the exhaust to fine tune so long as it is 3/4 open, Invest in a coupe of fire bricks, when banking your fire for indirect cooking or smoking cover the unused portion of the charcoal grate with foil to force all the air to the fire for better temp control. Always position the exhaust opposite your fire and over the food. Use Chunks of wood not chips, never soak your wood, Learn the ring of fire setup!

Go buy "Low & Slow" by Gary Wiviott. It's a great book when you are starting out, answers all of your questions and a lot more that will come up. Between that and help on here, you'll be killing it in no time. Good luck, and welcome!

Back