MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #31
Brauma
somebody shut me the fark up.

I cooked a dozen tonight. Washed, clipped tips, rubbed with Plowboy's Yardbird rub, smoked on my Small Egg till 180* internal, then took them off and wallered them in a bowl of Chipotle Rasberry grilling sauce, put them back on to carmelize. Awesome. Sorry, no pron.

Community Development VP - Secret Squirrel Society (but we don't exist)
Member: KCBS. CBJ

New Braunfels Bandera - refurbished; Two Big Green Eggs; 6' fire pit; Weber Kettles; Superfast Blue Thermepan
Brauma is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2008, 07:11 PM   #32
Wayne
is One Chatty Farker

I fix my wings pretty plain. I cut them all apart and throw the tips into the freezer to use next time I fix stock. Then I put the rest on the Weber and cook them off till they are almost done. At that point I dunk each piece in Franks hot sauce and return them to the grill. When they are done they should still be finger lickin' good and you can use your favorite creamy wing sauce if you like. I reckon you could add your favorite rub or marinade if you wanted, but to me it tastes just fine without anything but the Franks.

Long in the tooth,
Long in the tooth,
I'm lookin' 'round the corner,
An' I'm long in the tooth...
Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2008, 09:42 PM   #33
The Pickled Pig
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfisher63 View Post
Ok, after reading this thread I decided to cook some wings for an appetizer at my sons B-day party this weekend. I'm figuring I need around 100 wing halfs (drumette & that other double boned half). Any idea how much that would be by weight roughly?
A 2lb. pack of wings at Wally World has 8 complete wings in it (8 drumettes and 8 wings). So my simple math mind says that a single complete wing should weigh around 1/4 lb and 12.5 lbs. of wings will give you about 50 drumettes and 50 wings.

Twitter - @ThePickledPig

CBJ, WSM, UDS Cookers, Weber Gasser, Weber One Touch Gold Kettle,
The Pickled Pig is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-29-2008, 11:55 PM   #34
jtfisher63
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pickled Pig View Post
A 2lb. pack of wings at Wally World has 8 complete wings in it (8 drumettes and 8 wings). So my simple math mind says that a single complete wing should weigh around 1/4 lb and 12.5 lbs. of wings will give you about 50 drumettes and 50 wings.
Thanks Paul, thats what I was looking for.
Large Big Green Egg
Stumps clone
WSM
Char-something Gasser
Modesto, CA
jtfisher63 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-30-2008, 04:32 PM   #35
Cabntmkr1
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonehead View Post
I can't say what I do is original. It's been cobbled together from posts on this site, my own experience, and various other resources. That said, here's what I do:

1) prepare the breading: mix equal parts of Frying Magic & Corn Muffin Mix. If you're feeling spicy, add some favorite extra flavors. Dredge wings through to coat and place on a pan.

2) Heat the grill/smoker to low or low/medium low. While it's heating, fix the sauce. I use regular Franks's Hot Sauce & butter. I like flavor, but not a ton of heat so I start with 1 stick of butter to 1/3 cup of Franks. Sometimes I puree some fresh garlic in. Sometimes I put a dash or two of liquid smoke in (Sshh, don't tell anyone here. I might get banned). Adjust proportions to taste.

3) Put the wings on over low/medium low direct heat. Let them cook for 10 to 15 minutes until the coating starts to set up. Then baste with the sauce and then turn and baste again. After that turn and baste every 10 to 15 minutes until done. Serve with extra sauce on the side.

If you do this over direct heat you need to keep a close eye on them because the butter will cause flare ups. They should be done in about 30 to 45 minutes. If you do them indirect at 225 probably 1 1/2 to 2 hours. YMMV.

So far every time I have cooked these I have NEVER had any leftovers. I think it's the sauce. Here are some pics. The first is one tray after they've been prepped. The second is after they're done. I forgot to take a shot after I pulled them off so there was only a little left and they went away quick after that.
Those really look good, Bonehead! Thanks for the pron...
[FONT=Arial]ServSafe Certified[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Déjà Moo - The feeling you've heard that bull before. [/FONT]
Cabntmkr1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-31-2008, 08:11 PM   #36
yelonutz
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtfisher63 View Post
Ok, after reading this thread I decided to cook some wings for an appetizer at my sons B-day party this weekend. I'm figuring I need around 100 wing halfs (drumette & that other double boned half). Any idea how much that would be by weight roughly?

OK, I've been gone for a few days. I'll check the mail for my invite. You know he likes Chris better than you, don't you?

NUTZ
Medium Green Egg
Mini Green Egg
New Black stoker with built in wi-fi
KCBS CBJ #20258
Drunk Uncles BBQ Team, Ruining Family Gatherings for Over 20 Years.

DAMN IT ANDY!!
yelonutz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #37
RutledgeQ
Got Wood.

Default Going into my Evernote list

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbbqguy View Post
cut tips off and clean,dry, season with salt, white, black, red pepper. Soak in Sirracha chili sauce (little rooster on bottle), mild 8 hours, wild 12 hours, HOT 24 hours. Smoke until done 250, pecan my fav. Glaze at least once with sweet hot bbq sauce(Head Country hot my choice) Since heat is in the meat, each bite intensifies! Won many contests and sold lots of drinks with this one, enjoy, Steve.
Thanks, this is going into my evernote recipe notebook for later use.
RutledgeQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 12:48 PM   #38
Mister Bob
Babbling Farker

These were outstanding! APL's recipe from Serious BBQ
http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=101468
Mister Bob, Pitmaster - Smokestack Lightning, Bad Ass Barbecue. KCBS CBJ #31759 - IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Mister Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 01:24 PM   #39
landarc
somebody shut me the fark up.

I really like Dougherty's Wings by Groundhog66

Yelonutz: me either, but, then again, I don't drink any less
[/SIZE][/COLOR][/COLOR][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]
[COLOR=Pink]SSS[/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]
landarc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 01:28 PM   #40
PatioDaddio
Babbling Farker

Here's my offering for the dry-rubbed part.

Recipe: Gameday Grub - Memphis Dry-Rubbed Wings

John
PatioDaddio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 01:32 PM   #41
Jaskew82
is One Chatty Farker

APL's wings are insane. The marinade seems like it would be gross but they are awesome.

I get the grill or smoker up to 400 - 450* and smoke over applewood for about 45 minutes.

1 tablespoon of each Salt, pepper, Tabasco, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire sauce
Roughly 2 chunks of apple wood
Mix ingredients and marinade wings at least 30 minutes.

If you can, grill for 2-4 minutes over direct heat to crisp up.

2013 Stumps Classic - Delivered 4/15/13
Large BGE - Rescued 2012
2010 WSM 22.5"
2010 Weber genesis gas grill
Rescued 22.5 Weber One-touch gold
Yellow Thermopen
BBQ Guru CyberQ
2011 Built UDS - Retired
Jaskew82 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 03:32 PM   #42
BigBlock
is one Smokin' Farker

1 can of beer one bottle of carolina treat bring to boil add chicken wings simmer 5 minutes then let sit and get the smoke going throw them on and let me know what you think
BigBlock is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-20-2012, 03:55 PM   #43
SmokinOkie
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is a short collection, about a 100 or so recipes I've collected. I've not made each of them, but I have taken bits and pieces and experimented a lot.

I know you're looking for one, but here's a list with recipes:

Wing Recipes
Lastest Smokers (4) FEC100's including Twin Big Reds, FEPC1000 Pellet Grill, Cookshack 36" Charbroiler

[B][URL="http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1159993040"]Smokin Okie on Facebook[/URL][/B]
A[B]uthor:[/B]
[URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010brining101.pdf"]Brining 101 PDF[/URL] & [URL="http://www.cookshack.com/Websites/cookshack/Images/2010Turkey101.pdf"]Turkey 101 PDF[/URL]
SmokinOkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken wings, Frank's Hot Sauce, hot wings, wings