MSG- A Healthy Alternative???

I've worked in the food business for a long time (manufacturing & product development) and watch these trends go back and fourth. Remember when Shrimp was thought to be bad for you before we knew there was "good" and "bad" cholesterol?

When we started removing MSG from existing products you had to add more regular salt to compensate for the flavor difference. (think about your favorite canned or frozen soup as an example). Then came the trend to remove HVP and TVP from products. I never had an issue personally with MSG (check the label of your favorite AP Rub, probably there!), but there was so much negative publicity from the so-called "Chinese Restaurant Syndrome", manufacturers went with the flow.

When I was a youngun',HeeHaw was watched religiously on Saturday night.Grandpa Jones stated one night that "you know you are old when you remember when ham,eggs,sunshine and a days work were good for you"!!! :thumb:

I'm loving my envelope of umami, mostly mushrooms. Makes fantastic eggs and chicken.

Back