Kingsford Original Versus Weber Charcoal Briquettes - My Take

KevGuy

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
After alternating for the past 3 years between Kingsford Original and Weber charcoal briquettes I feel that I can give a fair comparison of the two.

This comparison was done based on 16 lb bags of Kingsford Original (KBB as it’s known) and 20 lb bags of Weber on a 18” Weber Kettle and using a large Weber charcoal chimney.

Price:
KBB is $16 for a 16 lb bag ($1/lb) whereas Weber is $22 for a 20 lb bag ($1.10 /lb). Pretty close in price, but KBB is the better price slightly.

Handling:
The Weber is much more sooty and dirty than KBB when handling with your hands. The KBB do make your hands dirty, but nothing compared to the Weber.

Availability:
KBB is available everywhere where I live; Walmart, RONA, Canadian Tire, Home Depot, etc. The Weber is available, but only at RONA and Canadian Tire. If I’m in a jam for a bag, KBB is what I usually come home with.

Ignition:
I find the Weber takes longer to light and to get a good layer of white on the top layer of briquettes in the chimney. The KBB lights quick and the top layer of briquettes in the chimney whites over in 15-20 minutes easily.

Heat:
On an empty 18” Weber kettle grill, the Weber gets up to 750 F easily. The KBB will do 700 F most under same circumstances. Slight advantage to Weber.

Longevity of Burn:
Weber wins out here. Once lit, a chimney of Weber briquettes will easily burn an hour longer than KBB.

Food Taste:
My taste buds prefer the KBB. The Weber taste is ok too…nothing wrong with it, but like I said I prefer KBB taste.

Ash Production:
I find that both are pretty much the same. No clear winner.

Complete Combustion:
I noticed that the KBB briquettes would burn completely and leave nothing but ash in the bbq the next day. As for Weber briquettes, there is always a handful that only partially burned and went out on their own. I like the complete combustion of the KBB.

Overall, I prefer the Kingsford Original (KBB) than the Weber briquettes.

I tried weber, not kingsford (Here in Spain is hard to find that)

I will stay on lump charcoal from Holm oak.
Low smoke.
Low ash
Low dirt
Low price.
Low ignition time.
Big results.

Of course, I will try kingsford when I find that.

Weber briquettes are/were some of my favorite briqs I’ve used, unfortunately I can no longer find them here.

I really like/liked the Weber product. When Home Depot put them on clearance for 3.00 a bag I picked up all they had near me, just over 2 pallets. They have a much longer burn time than the Kingsford when I use them in my drum smokers. Unfortunately I am down to my last 2 bags and have not seen them anywhere in a few years now. I still use Kingford for grilling and like them fine for that.

I primarily use Kingsford Pro briquettes when grilling on my kettles. I stock up when it’s on sale at Costco. I’m happy with the results when used on the kettles. But when using my Assassin, I feel the Weber briquettes are the best I’ve ever used. They keep a nice even temp and I like the flavor. Not a fan of the Kingsford Pro in the Assassin. For me it seems to spike in temp more and I’m not a huge fan of the flavor.

I too stocked up on Weber briquettes when they were on clearance at HD. Got about 8 bags left. They’re only used for special cooks…

Last edited:
I primarily use Kingsford Pro briquettes when grilling on my kettles. I stock up when it’s on sale at Costco. I’m happy with the results when used on the kettles. But when using my Assassin, I feel the Weber briquettes are the best I’ve ever used. They keep a nice even temp and I like the flavor. Not a fan of the Kingsford Pro in the Assassin. For me it seems to spike in temp more and I’m not a huge fan of the flavor.

I too stocked up on Weber briquettes when they were on clearance at HD. Got about 8 bags left. They’re only used for special cooks…

Kingsford Pro is currently $5.50 off at our nearest Costco in the Northeast.

Great well organized comparison. I remember at one point buying Cherry Weber briquettes. They had the best smell of any charcoal I've used!

I thought Kingsford produced a lot more ash

I didn’t realize Weber was still being sold anywhere. I’m another person that stocked up when they were being closed out at HD. It’s all I’ve used for the last few years. Still have enough for this summer I would think but will likely to go back to Kingsford next year.

If I was smart, I probably would save them for when I’m smoking with the S&S and use something else when it’s higher heat.

I think Weber briquettes were discontinued in the USA more than 1 year ago. You can still buy them in Canada.

I didn’t realize Weber was still being sold anywhere. I’m another person that stocked up when they were being closed out at HD. It’s all I’ve used for the last few years. Still have enough for this summer I would think but will likely to go back to Kingsford next year.

If I was smart, I probably would save them for when I’m smoking with the S&S and use something else when it’s higher heat.

Back