Please school me on propane tank valves

Czarbecue

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I bought an unused 100 pound tank off Facebook last fall. It doesn't fit the hose that I use on my 20/40 pound tanks. This is interchangeable right? Any keywords I can use to look for the proper one? I plan on using it to heat my Blackstone and Tejas smoker gas stove.
7a0340230e5669d3bc3055ca7b7944ec.jpg
9c340081b93a585aa9b938453788c941.jpg
6b6bd621904456a43222bc85302ebb32.jpg

That looks like the old female style. My most recent exchange tank is male threads on the outside. I'm certain you could get it changed just not sure who does it. Maybe a propane supplier.

Try an RV place. The one near me filled tanks and customized connections/lines for what I wanted for my trailer. They had all fittings, valves, and regulators in stock.

That’s a POL, or Prest-O-Lite, fitting. It’s an older design, lacks some safety features that the new design has. Key features are the male thread and the bullnose tip.

The newer design, usually found on gas grill regulators and smaller tanks, is called a QCC, for Quick Closing Connection. It has female threads, and incorporates safety features such as an OPD, or overfill protection device, and excess flow shut offs.

You are probably used to QCC as are ubiquitous on grills etc these days. As previously mentioned there are converters to allow connecting a QCC regulator to a POL tank.

Btw always remember you MUST keep tanks upright! Propane in a tank is liquid under pressure, with pressurized vapor above it. That’s why the OPD is important. The regulator works only with vapor, getting liquid propane into the regulator or feed lines is a very hazardous situation. If you want an idea of the hazard level you can reach with propane google “bleve”, which stands for boiling liquid expanding vapor explosion. Even. Hundred pounds will make a big blast.

Yep, that looks like the old style fitting. Either an adapter or you can change the valve assembly out. It just threads in. Also there is a law that if tanks are not supposed to be filled after 12 years from the manufacturing date stamp and it must be re-certified every 5 years after than. That may be an issue at some point if not now since it has a very old valve. With a 20lb tank you just swap it for a new one at HD or somewhere with an exchange, but with a 100lb tank that may be more of an issue. The date should be stamped on the top section of the tank near the valve.

I'm not certain a 100lb tank falls under the certification category as I think that is a DOT rule for tanks in mobile situations. If it's static, it may not matter due to the tank size. I know the 20 and 30lb tanks are under the DOT rule even if they are used for grills as they are also commonly used in trailers & RV's. Call a local LP distributor and ask about your tank though.

But this $10 connector should let the OCC type hoses fit the old style POL threads.

https://www.amazon.com/SHINESTAR-Propane-Adapter-Converts-Service/dp/B01M0ILKIJ

61EBO9Brr8L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
So you've got a tank that needs an adapter or regulator before a connection to a consumer device i.e. BBQ grill, back (not front!) porch griddle...

Web search says there is ~30 propane suppliers in the Metro Atlanta area.

Call around, see who is open, explain your need, get PROFESSIONAL expertise, buy the adapter or regulator local if possible. My local propane dealer has saved my a$$ once, and gained a customer for life. They continue to save me $$$ on bottle refills to boot...

Ummmm surprised no one mentioned... its a reverse thread female..what's on your hose end?

https://www.comparepropane.com/tank-recertification/

“The real difference is that the new tank valves have both a tipover protector and an overfill protector. It is true that the new valves have both male and female threads. It is not true that you can have an old style tank refilled. With out the overfill protection they will not or should not fill it.”

I’d have it looked at by a professional propane distributor. May be as simple as a valve change or may need to be tested, or placed out of service.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies everyone. I bought the converter that was posted. The only place I took it to so far was the local U-Haul dealer for a propane refill and the kid behind the counter didn't know what to do with my valve.

Ummmm surprised no one mentioned... its a reverse thread female..what's on your hose end?
All I know it's a 0-20 PSI regulator hose that all my gas stuff used. Never thought there would be different connections for different size tanks.

Just so everyone is aware the only tanks that require an OPD (overfill protection device) valve are 20#, 30#, and 40#. Anything above that will still have the "old style" valve. The OPD valves come with both internal and external threads. In the OP's case the valve is perfectly fine, just need the adapter (which I saw you purchased) and everything is good to go!

Glad you got the problem solved. As luck would have it I picked up a couple of full 20# tanks that are old enough to have POL valves, so I had to solve the same problem for myself. I documented it with photos, will post here to show the entire sequence for future reference. And a very important tip.

WARNING!
Note that the POL threads are reverse from normal, which prevents use of NPT fittings in place of the POL bullnose, but causes a problem for the converter. After installing the converter in the POL valve the QCC is normal thread so tightening the QCC can loosen the POL connection! Be very careful, ideally you should leak test everything when you think you’re all done.

Here’s the POL valve:

picture.php

This is the converter, POL to QCC:

picture.php

Here’s the converter installed on the tank:

picture.php

And the final hookup:

picture.php

I cant find it now, But I believe I read somewhere that you are not supposed to connect a portable LP appliance to any tank larger than 20# because it is only "approved" (if that's the right term) for a certain amount of available BTU's (amount of fuel). In other words the safety features designed into (or lack of) are only acceptable
with a small amount of available fuel. If you connect a 1000# propane tank to a portable grill that's a lot of fuel if you have a leak of other problem. Anyone else hear of this? I'll keep looking. I know there's a lot of do it your self info on the net.

The old style tanks CAN be refilled, but many/most places that refill tanks won't, because they don't know the law. They find it easier to tell the kids manning the filing rack not to fill them, thus absolving themselves of the responsibility of teaching the kids the law.

I have a couple of devices which use propane faster than the new style valves can supply it, so I keep a few tanks with the old valves.

First, they must be current with their inspection, and secondly, if you write on them "for industrial use only" and follow that with your name, you can get them filled.

EZ way to do this. When that tank goes empty, swap it out at your local store for an updated tank with safety feature. Blue Rhino of the like will take the old tank and check the DOT expiration date stamped on the handle. If out of date, they will discard it if in date (of 15 years of manufacture I think) will install new safety valve and you will never see it again. One time cost for updated tank approx. $25-30 with full charge. And YES all propane tanks have left hand threads.

Good Luck!

Back