Question for LSG ISV owners

RacrX

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I have a large cabinet, I noticed on a big cook last week that when it's loaded up I don't really need to add water to the pan as all that meat generates plenty of moisture. That was the first time I really loaded it up.

I've seen a couple people post that they fill the built-in pan with sand as a heat sink- do a lot of you do that? Otherwise, any other suggestions?

I'm currently using the top 3 grates, the bottom fourth one seems to be too close to the heat source, but if I do something like this I'm thinking I can use it, and I could use the extra room.

Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

I do not have a LSG.
My experiments/trials with my cabinet. My coal basket area is wide open to the cook chamber. No deflector of any kind.
When using firebricks. The bottom grate ends up being the coolest. Causing more uneven cooking in my cabinet.
When using a drip pan covered foil. Do not allow the foil to touch the bottom of the drip pan.
I get very even heat top/bottom. I tend to believe the air gap between the drip pan and foil cover. Is the reason. Works the same on my UDS, mini wsm etc.
I only use water when I'm burning pure wood to cook in my cabinet.
I have yet to find water adding anything to a cook.
You might want to try. Just to see if that helps.
Not sure if you can put foil covered drip pans in your water tray.
Just a thought.

I have a large lsg vic. A couple different variables, I have the diffuser plate so maybe it is a little different.

I too have found there is no need to use water when it's loaded up. Without water you aren't going to be able to hold it under 250. If i want to smoke lower temp I'll put a full size aluminum pan of water on the bottom rack. You'll go through a little more fuel but it'll def help hold the temp lower.

I usually use an aluminum drip pan, I take the bottom rack out and insert it into the built-in water pan- but then it kills the space on my bottom rack. I've been cooking with 3 racks, hoping to use the fourth.

I have never used water, I use firebricks in the pan. I also cook in pans and do not obsess about temperatures anymore. I just shoot for what temp I want and whatever she settles in at that is that. If I am fully loaded, I will rotate the food up and down the racks to even things out if necessary.

I have never used water, I use firebricks in the pan. I also cook in pans and do not obsess about temperatures anymore. I just shoot for what temp I want and whatever she settles in at that is that. If I am fully loaded, I will rotate the food up and down the racks to even things out if necessary.

So when you use pans, are the butts sitting in their own grease?

Back