Country Style Ribs

K

kcquer

I did a search and read through 17 threads on this topic. Around here they come 3 ways, beef, pork loin and pork shoulder. I have shoulder cut. I'd like some ideas on time and temp.

Since they're cut from butt I figure some variation on butt cooking (foiling after so long) would probably work good.

Anyone have a good rub for pork they'd be willing to share? Looked at several in recipes/files and most are pretty similar to my recipe, looking for something a bit different.

I did some last week and used nothing but southern flavor. Then I misted them periodically with the apple juice/whiskey combo. I think I foiled them after about three hours and gave them another 3 or so in the foil.

I just dip'em in soy, sprinkle seasoned pepper and grill'em cause that is the way the 'matic likes'em.

Greg and Al, took both your suggestions, used what I had on hand and made the tastiest Q'd anything I've made yet. Didn't have soy so I made a pre rub dip of Lea & Perrins, teriyaki, liquid smoke and a couple drops of mapeline. Put 'em in the dip, then rolled 'em in my rub that has quite a bit of brown sugar. Cooked 3-2-1 just like a real rib, sprayed with apple juice before foiling and every 20 mins the last hour. Only thing I'll do different next time, the OL suggested spraying with pineapple juice don't know how they could be better but I'm gonna try it. Thanks to both of ya, they were great.

I use pork country style ribs when I fix them. Here is my secret ingrediant. Go to a Middle Eastern and buy the pepper paste. It usually comes in a jar and is made from hot red peppers not sweet red peppers. It is about the consistancy of tomato paste and is wonderful. Slather the paste all over the ribs and let them sit for a while to marinate. Then fix them on the smoker till they have low and slowed there way to about 160 degrees. Let them sit for aqbout 20 minutes before serving. You will not believe the taste of these wonderful little morsels. I like to serve them with Artie's salid out of "Smoke & Fire".

Wayne said:
I use pork country style ribs when I fix them. Here is my secret ingrediant. Go to a Middle Eastern and buy the pepper paste. It usually comes in a jar and is made from hot red peppers not sweet red peppers. It is about the consistancy of tomato paste and is wonderful. Slather the paste all over the ribs and let them sit for a while to marinate. Then fix them on the smoker till they have low and slowed there way to about 160 degrees. Let them sit for aqbout 20 minutes before serving. You will not believe the taste of these wonderful little morsels. I like to serve them with Artie's salid out of "Smoke & Fire".

Dang that sounds good, Wayne! For those of you not familiar with the use of pepper paste, MAKE SURE you thoroughly wash your hands after slathering that stuff on the meat. If you don't, all of us will hear you screaming in your bathroom the next time you gotta go!

The pepper paste is available at nearly all Middle Eastern groceries like N&J Deli or Biblios. Just ask them for the pepper paste and they will tell you where to find it.

i've made my own before. although I have a lebanese friend that tells me its too weak. I've used red chilis, real cayenne peppers (home grown), jalapenos (home grown), pablano, and thai chilis. I make it somewhat like a mayonnaise. that is, olive oil in a food processor, then added egg, dijon mustard, roasted and peeled peppers (some don't roast'm. i do. otherwise, its so farkin' hot its inedible), roasted AND fresh garlic, and sesame paste.

Really very good. got a really nice kick, but not extreme heat. i have to roast or smoke the thai chilis and the pablanos. too much heat for me.

The final smoked product is not nearly as hot as the paste straight out of the jar so don't try to judge the heat before you cook off the ribs. The pepper flavor is truely wonderful. Smokeypig's paste also sounds great!

i've made it a couple of times. my dad, who doesn't like really spicy foods ate it like butter on texas toast. a whole lot of flavor with a little kick.

its really good on pork (any kind, really) and beef. if you're squemish about using raw eggs, leave it out. the paste, tho, won't be nearly as thick (or rich). if you have leftovers, which is most doubtful, put it in the fridge and use it within the week. if you don't use it, toss it at the end of the week. especially if you use the egg. botulism ain't fun!

just for kicks, try smoking the peppers, rather than roasting them. i've done it a few times. even mixed some of the paste in store bought bbq sauce, just to kick it up a notch. either way (smoked or roasted) its really good with the vinegar/mustard based sauces....

To me flavor is the most important part of peppers. And HOT is only one aspect of taste. Peppers do not have to be hot for me to enjoy them, and hot with no taste is not good. I eat at a Mexican resturant that has wonderful mild salsa that is really unique, but their hot salsa is just hot with no flavor. So I eat a lot of their mild sauce and none of the hot stuff. At another place it is just the oposite. There I always eat the hot salsa because it is the most flavorful.

me? i like spicy foods. period. but if the heat gets in the way of the taste, forget it! Some peppers are good and flavorful with and without the heat when eaten raw. Others taste good either roasted (my personal preference is jalapenos), smoked ( gimme cayennes or pablanos), or pickled (red bells, hungarian wax, sweet bananas, even jalapenos).

i've had friends that get off only on the heat. personally, too hot is a distraction.

my personal favorite is szechuan style chinese. its generally well-blended, sweet and spicy, but not so farkin hot that you taste nothing else..

I heard some tv cook explain capsicum heat this way, "on the palatte heat is more like a texture element to food than a flavor element." The heat in peppers is sorta like the abrasive texture of crunching up chips on your tongue rather than a flavor. I think this is why a spicy rub or sauce is good on Q, it adds a texture that isn't present on a tender piece of well cooked beef or pork. If you get too carried away with it (heat) that texture over rides softer texture of the meat and any flavors developed along the way.

Today I used the Steve Raichlein (sp?) basic bbq rub that I made at home on my country ribs. I like it better than any store bought rub I have used. I tend to blend it a little on the hot side, but I think this would work well if adjusted for those who don't care the for the hot taste.

Back