Semi-Live - Last Minute Korean Pork Spare Ribs - w/ Pr0n

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Grabbed a rack of spares from the DoD Commissary on Friday. They're not Duroc or anything fancy, but $10 works for me.

I've been trying to think of a flavor avenue that we haven't had in a while. Nothing came to me until this morning... darn it!

Why don't I make these like Korean Pork Ribs!? - Link to Recipe on Korean Bapsang Website.

Her recipe calls for the dreaded oven / slow cooker method.... uhm. No. That said, I'll sure use her marinade recipes!

I loosely followed her Sweet & Savoury option:
Sweet and Savory Marinade:

▢ 1/2 cup soy sauce
▢ 1/2 cup water
▢ 1/4 cup rice wine (or mirin or white wine)
▢ 2 tablespoons sesame oil
▢ 4 tablespoons honey
▢ 2 tablespoons brown sugar use regular sugar if unavailable
▢ 3 tablespoons minced garlic (8 or 9 plump cloves)
▢ 2 tablespoons finely grated ginger
▢ 1/2 medium onion, grated
▢ 1/2 medium sweet apple, grated
▢ 1/2 teaspoon black pepper

I didn't have any apple to grate, so I added some apple sauce, and I used dried, minced onion as I didn't feel like grating an onion, either.

I did add a couple of tablespoons of Korean red pepper paste (gochujang, 고추장).

ZX4FqhUl.jpg

I trimmed the spares, saved the tips, and put the (now) St. Louis Spares in a ziptop bag with the marinade. Munchkin helped me massage it into the ribs only to discover some tiny leakage that turned our hands red. Oops!

A6MJNs5l.jpg

Into the fridge until this afternoon. Not how long I wish I could let the kids swim before the sauna... but that's the time available.

More to follow.

Got the SNS fired up with lump and my last big chunk of apple.

HXd78cZl.jpg

Remainder of the marinade went into a small saucepan on the stove for a quick boil. I'll baste the ribs here and there in a couple of hours. They've got a nice coating of deliciousness on them for now.

What a gorgeous day out there... clear blue sky; house blocking the otherwise ripping NW wind... Almost up to 50F!

Needed to refill the water trough in the SNS after about an hour. She runs right around 245-250 with water, but temps start climbing as the water evaporates off.

Here's a quick peek.

PZa5vCSl.jpg

Flipped the bones over on their back for a while.

Avett Brothers, Shark Quest, and Thievery Corporation pouring through the back yard.

After a couple of hours, I wrapped up the bones and let them self-braise for about 45 minutes.

Just unwrapped them and applied a layer of marinade/glaze/sauce/whatever.

Nice hillbilly toothy grin in return. :becky:

9QVDbxml.jpg

I have all of that in the pantry except the apple, I do have asian pear tho
Thats going to be fantastic by the looks and sound

You and the Bosslady knocked it out of the park. Those ribs look insanely good. Nice job on the hobak jeon as well. You can also make hobak jeon with thinly sliced zucchini instead of shredded and it will give it different texture. Both styles are good with soy dipping sauce.

Back