MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:12 PM   #16
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane Toner View Post
Thank you! So many options! Is that updated list absolutely everything I would need? Also, is it better to get the thermocouple or to just use a probe instead? I have read so much about this thing and am still clueless so thank all you guys for the human input.
I use cheap thin wire thermocouples from eBay for a buck or two a piece. They are thin and fit through any opening or seam, they are super fast reacting and super accurate, and they are rated to 1100 degrees so I can use them on anything from a cold smoke below 100 up to a blazing Neapolitan pizza cook at over 900. None of the probe style ones will last with even 500 degree pizza cooks, and they cost a lot more.

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-12-2018, 07:13 PM   #17
Shane Toner
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wager View Post
I have been using a fireboard for the last couple of months (switched from a guru digiq) and I will say that so far it has performed fantastically. I was looking for a single unit that would monitor up to 5 different meats and also run the fan for competitions.

I initially purchased it for the 6 probe ports and the ability to run my fan but found the Bluetooth/WiFi connection to be really convenient and allowed me much more freedom to run around and catch up with friends instead of having to sit and watch the pit come up to temp.

It does all sorts of graphing that can be exported into excel and also allows for quite a bit of customization in terms of naming cooks or probes so that they are easy to track. I can’t imagine wanting any more data than what this makes available.

There are quite a few reviews online now showing its operation and how customizable it is as well as reviews of probe accuracy. In terms of the probes, they seem more like industrial probes to me than the typical commercial probes you get with all the other temp controllers/monitors. Some have even done experiments with the probes submerged in water.

It is one of the more expensive units on the market now, but if your needs are similar to mine, I can’t think of another unit on the market that does as much as the fireboard and is rated as high as the fireboard is.
Thank you. I really like the Fireboard. It is double the price of the HM when all is said and done. This thread has helped me out immensely.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:14 PM   #18
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

BTW, check out the HM community at the virtual Weber board. The developer is active there and the group there will provide excellent support plus they have all the damper designers and printers who can help you get setup for whatever cooker you want to control.

Old 07-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #19
Shane Toner
Got Wood.

I am looking there too just cant understand a lot of it but I'm getting there. I'm going to knuckle down and order all the stuff online. I'll have to go to the micro center in flushing to get the raspberry pi. I will get the cheaper version if you think the b+ is worth it. Is it possible to save the graphs from all the cooks?

Old 07-12-2018, 07:36 PM   #20
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : T.J.

Quote:
I am looking there too just cant understand a lot of it but I'm getting there. I'm going to knuckle down and order all the stuff online. I'll have to go to the micro center in flushing to get the raspberry pi. I will get the cheaper version if you think the b+ is worth it. Is it possible to save the graphs from all the cooks?

Flushing? I hope that you’re not a long suffering Met fan like myself. Ok... back on topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-12-2018, 07:50 PM   #21
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
I think the cheap Zero-W with built in WiFi is currently the best pi for a HM due to stability and drivers, plus it is cheap and compact. Just make sure you get the right HM version and ask for a case without the USB slots.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:03 PM   #22
Theboz1419
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by m-fine View Post
BTW, check out the HM community at the virtual Weber board. The developer is active there and the group there will provide excellent support plus they have all the damper designers and printers who can help you get setup for whatever cooker you want to control.
I 2nd that.

Bryan, or just a out anybody will answer your questions, including me. I'm one of the customizers and builders of the heatermeter and have been around the project since it was known as the linkmeter.

John B.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-12-2018, 09:24 PM   #23
Shane Toner
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
Flushing? I hope that you’re not a long suffering Met fan like myself. Ok... back on topic.

Yes!!!! Long suffering!!! Just watched them lose again! Main reason I started smoking! Do you have any of these gadgets?

Old 07-12-2018, 09:25 PM   #24
Shane Toner
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theboz1419 View Post
I 2nd that.

Bryan, or just a out anybody will answer your questions, including me. I'm one of the customizers and builders of the heatermeter and have been around the project since it was known as the linkmeter.

John B.
Thank you very much. Bryan has been very helpful. I will email him tomorrow and finalize my order. Looking forward to graphing my cooks. Thanks a lot for the help

Old 07-12-2018, 09:26 PM   #25
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Yes!!!! Long suffering!!! Just watched them lose again! Main reason I started smoking! Do you have any of these gadgets?

I have a Flame Boss 300, Thermoworks Smoke, and a Thermopen.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:27 PM   #26
Shane Toner
Got Wood.

Quote:
I think the cheap Zero-W with built in WiFi is currently the best pi for a HM due to stability and drivers, plus it is cheap and compact. Just make sure you get the right HM version and ask for a case without the USB slots.
Thanks for all the help man. Ordering tomorrow. So glad I found a product that so many people are happy with.

Old 07-12-2018, 09:30 PM   #27
Shane Toner
Got Wood.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC ‘Que View Post
I have a Flame Boss 300, Thermoworks Smoke, and a Thermopen.

I have a thermopro tp20 and
It's ok. Little shaky sometimes also have a TP instant read. The flame boss is an extra $100 but a lot of people like it. I'm going to give the HM a try. Thanks for the help. LGM!!

Old 07-12-2018, 09:33 PM   #28
NYC ‘Que
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I have a thermopro tp20 and

It's ok. Little shaky sometimes also have a TP instant read. The flame boss is an extra $100 but a lot of people like it. I'm going to give the HM a try. Thanks for the help. LGM!!

LGM!

Old 07-13-2018, 07:14 AM   #29
DanB
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Hi All The Heat Metter sounds complicated? Tech scares me
DanB

Old 07-13-2018, 07:29 AM   #30
m-fine
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanB View Post
Hi All The Heat Metter sounds complicated? Tech scares me
DanB
It is definitely NOT for everyone. You get a more functionality for less dollars, but you do pay a price in complexity and learning curve. If you want to open a box, follow 3 simple steps and be cooking, the Heatermeter is not for you.