It's in the bark....

troy64

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
The thick, crusted, black charred bark on brisket how do you get it? Is it the rub mostly or a combination of rub, temps, time and spritz? I've seen this on most of the Texas style bbq videos and am really eager to learn how.

I’m not sure that thick, crusted, black charred bark would do well in a competition, to be honest.

Ron really? Seems like a real visual plus for starters but tell me your opinion why because I'd hate to pursue that only to find out the judges don't care for it.

I agree with Ron. Here’s why I think that. That thick black crusted bark can be so thick and hard that it’s a tough chew. It can become so caramelized that it could tip over to the point of maybe being a tad bitter in spots.

And while it might be a total home run visually or taste wise with some judges it may also be a strike out with some others.

Comp bbq and consistent success is about producing meats that are very middle of the road as to not offend anyone. If you stray too far on something you may get four judges who give you all 9’s but then you get two judges who give you all 7’s and your done.

The con tests I do are pretty much all KCBS and sweet with a little heat is the safest route. And to me good moist and perfectly tender meat does well most of the time. I’ve never had one comment from a judge about my entry having too little bark etc. bark has never been mentioned on any of my entries.

Just my personal experience and thoughts. Ron May have a different perspective.

Last edited:
I agree with the comments regarding bark in competitions. But if you're looking for that bark for at home, just don't foil your brisket during your cook, you'll get it.

The thick, crusted, black charred bark on brisket how do you get it? Is it the rub mostly or a combination of rub, temps, time and spritz? I've seen this on most of the Texas style bbq videos and am really eager to learn how.

Competition BBQ is a very unique animal. Definitely judge some contests or cook with a team if you have the opportunity.

Reset the bark by unwrapping 35-45 minutes before turn in, put it back on the smoker, spritz with some Parkay butter and the bark will look a little darker and more appealing without the negatives mentioned above, all good advice though.
Good well balanced bbq (middle of the road as mentioned) wins.
Good quality meats, just the right amount of rub and a kiss of smoke plus cooked to perfect tenderness.

For home go ahead and push the wrap time a little further like 175 and wrap in butcher paper for great flavor and bark.

Back