Remote Thermometers

Jay Bird

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Winter is just around the corner. Am looking for a remote indicating thermometer that will give meat temp. & also cooking temp. (Two separate probes). Any suggestions as to a good selection?:confused:

Maverick ET-73, best buy out there. It will give you meat temp and cooker temp. for about $40 bucks.
Also, when you wash the probes don't immerse it in water, it will kill the probe. Please don't ask me how I know this. Just clean it with a scotch brite pad a wipe it off.

Maverick ET-73, best buy out there. It will give you meat temp and cooker temp. for about $40 bucks.
Also, when you wash the probes don't immerse it in water, it will kill the probe. Please don't ask me how I know this. Just clean it with a scotch brite pad a wipe it off.
Love my Maverick ET-73. Did not know about the probe though, thanks for the heads up!

The ET-73 is the only one that I know of that has separate probes for meat and chamber temp..

The ET-73 is the only one that I know of that has separate probes for meat and chamber temp..

Maverick has another therm (ET-7) with two probes. It's silver, and they are both distributed as meat probes, but there's no reason why you can't use one for the cooker. I forget why, but I liked the ET-73 more when I was shopping and bought it...maybe it had to do with the possible alarms and pre-programmed done temps? Apparently John Deere used to market one as well, and a company called CDN has one.

My personal favourite, as I've mentioned before, if you have the cash is to buy a Stoker with a wireless adapter. Not cheap by a long shot, but when only the best will do....

dmp

edit, I've checked, and the ET-7 and ET-73 are not probe compatible. At least not really compatible. They use the same voltage and signals, but one connector has a larger diameter and unless you use duct tape, it won't stay plugged in.

Many thanks for your quick response & advice. Just ordered the ET-73. The Brotherhood comes thru again. Previous posts led to my purchase of an 18.5" WSM.

I have a Taylor that was a gift. It seems to do a good job. My step-dghtr. got it at walmart. It has a metal-incased probe with a remote unit to notify of temps etc.It's inexpensive compared to many.I left it too close to the grill and the case partially melted. IT STILL WORKS .!

Last edited:
Maverick has another therm (ET-7) with two probes. It's silver, and they are both distributed as meat probes, but there's no reason why you can't use one for the cooker. I forget why, but I liked the ET-73 more when I was shopping and bought it...maybe it had to do with the possible alarms and pre-programmed done temps? Apparently John Deere used to market one as well, and a company called CDN has one.

How high do the meat probes go though? I've got a weber that doesn't go over 200*.

The maverick's might go higher though, as a matter of fact I know they at least go up to 205..

They want $20 to ship it though, to California at least. You can find them cheaper than that. I paid $44 on Amazon with free shipping..

I figured there was a catch. Was going to check it out closer when I got home. Thanks.

Looking at the online manual , it appears that the range is 32* to 392*.

Accurite from walmart $15. Works well after regluing the magnet on.

the best thing about the maverick is the cooker probe has an alarm for low and high temps...a life saver!!!

maverick et-73 for sure, i have two and going to get a third :p:p
all work very well

Back