MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-08-2020, 02:46 PM   #1
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill
Default Chicken Feedback

I'm looking for a little feedback on people's ideas on chicken thighs. Not looking for specific recipes or brands but I'm wondering if people lean a little on the spicy side when competing or is sweet the way to go. Do you inject?

Old 07-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #2
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

I don't inject, I do like mine just a bit spicy. I had one friend/competitor who offered to give me his opinion on my chicken and he said it was a bit too spicy. I didn't have any idea, but my tastes were obviously different. I've had top 10 chicken in 4 of the last 5 comps.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2020, 06:08 PM   #3
Beer Belly BBQ
Knows what a fatty is.

I brine for 2 hours and then inject. I add a little Tennessee Red to make it a little more tangy. It's more savory than sweet or spicy. I just looked it up and I averaged around a 171 score last year including the Royal Invitational and Open.
Beer Belly BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2020, 10:42 AM   #4
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

I too lean towards a brine and finished product that is a tad spicy with some sweet. Chicken has been pretty consistent for me in getting calls.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #5
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

My view is this , if your a "spicy person" then whats a hint of spicy to you, prob will offend 40/50% of judges ... so i play it way safe with spicy mine has small amount of just twang not even prob be called spicy , cause im not spicy fan i cant do hot stuff.
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2020, 07:42 PM   #6
pharp
Banned

Some pretty solid recipes over on The BBQ League.
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-10-2020, 06:56 AM   #7
Smokin Dawg77
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by pharp View Post
Some pretty solid recipes over on The BBQ League.
Smokin Dawg77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-14-2020, 02:50 PM   #8
ibrisky
Knows what a fatty is.

Check out a step by step video on the YouTube, How To BBQ Right Competition chicken thighs, I hear that Fire Dancer dude is pretty cool
Don't Burn The Day Away.....
[/I]
ibrisky is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-14-2020, 07:14 PM   #9
ArnieTex
Full Fledged Farker

Different towns different judges different teams for the most part so it may be a little different depending where your cooking. Most teams do put a little hint of heat with that sweet and it's been a winner since forever but just keep in mind good well balanced bbq that does not offend the judges gets good score, most of the time, again depends on that days judges.

Old 07-14-2020, 09:28 PM   #10
pharp
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibrisky View Post
Check out a step by step video on the YouTube, How To BBQ Right Competition chicken thighs, I hear that Fire Dancer dude is pretty cool
I mean if I was gonna bet on someone to win chicken!!
pharp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2020, 06:07 AM   #11
wmarkw
Full Fledged Farker

Anyone do a dry brine? Whatever your rub of choice is and let it sit for several hours vs wet brine?

Old 07-16-2020, 11:14 AM   #12
jermoQ
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeremy

I don't compete but i judged for 5 or 6 years. You definitely want spice, but make sure the rest of the flavors are balanced with it. Salt, tang, sweet, spiciness, need to compliment. Really sweet, is not going to appeal to a lot judges unless the savory, salty and pepperiness part balances it out. You could go a little spicier if it is a pretty sweet sauce but then you might risk burning some lips? Do I like it spicier? ABSOLUTELY! I like my nose and eyes running. But I will still mark down for Q being too spicy with all things considered.

Old 07-17-2020, 08:04 AM   #13
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jermoQ View Post
I don't compete but i judged for 5 or 6 years. You definitely want spice, but make sure the rest of the flavors are balanced with it. Salt, tang, sweet, spiciness, need to compliment. Really sweet, is not going to appeal to a lot judges unless the savory, salty and pepperiness part balances it out. You could go a little spicier if it is a pretty sweet sauce but then you might risk burning some lips? Do I like it spicier? ABSOLUTELY! I like my nose and eyes running. But I will still mark down for Q being too spicy with all things considered.

let me ask for some clarification on this.....and trust me, I'm not one of these guys who criticize judges, I'm not in that camp, so this is not a trap....lol

but you say that you love it so spicy that your nose runs and eyes water, but yet you will mark it down for being too spicy? Do you mean if it's too spicy for you, or do you mean you will mark it down if you think it's too spicy "in general", or as you say with all things considered?
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-20-2020, 11:21 AM   #14
JS-TX
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by masque13 View Post
let me ask for some clarification on this.....and trust me, I'm not one of these guys who criticize judges, I'm not in that camp, so this is not a trap....lol

but you say that you love it so spicy that your nose runs and eyes water, but yet you will mark it down for being too spicy? Do you mean if it's too spicy for you, or do you mean you will mark it down if you think it's too spicy "in general", or as you say with all things considered?

He's a fellow Texan that obviously likes a little heat.. pay no mind to him

In IBCA where judges aren't certified and often are spectators at events, you literally have to shoot for balanced bbq.. they often mix ages, genders etc.. at judging tables.. so really just good bbq that isn't overly anything will score well most of the time. Not sure how it is in KCBS in terms of judges expectations.. other than the judging criteria
JS-TX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-21-2020, 01:26 AM   #15
Bob in Corona
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

If we KCBS judges are doing our duty per the rules, then a judge's expectations will not come into play in the scores given.

Case in point... I like my ribs dry. That is how I cook them for myself and my famiily. When judging, the presences or not of a sauce does not come into play in the scores given.

Tags
chicken