MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-11-2022, 10:46 PM   #1
pduck
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Pete
Default Please help me choose my next smoker

I’m looking to replace my offset smoker. I’m afraid that old age is taking its toll and I don’t have the energy to babysit a seven hour cook anymore. The problem is that I still enjoy the taste of hickory smoked meat and don’t want to give that up.

I’ve thought about replacing my Oklahoma Joe smoker, which I fuel with hickory splits, with a pellet or a gravity feed smoker. Specifically, I’ve been looking at a Weber SmokeFire or a Char Griller 980 (or a Masterbuilt). I’ve heard that the foods cooked on these particular models have a better smoke profile than something from a traditional pellet grill. In fact, I’ve heard some reviewers who said the food cooked on the Weber tasted like it came from a traditional smoker. I take that with a grain of salt, but if it was close, I’d be happy with that.

Let’s ignore topics like build quality or durability for now and just focus on the food itself. Would either of these models come close to an offset smoker for cooking ribs, meatloaf, etc as far as taste is concerned? Will I be able to taste the smoke or will it taste like something cooked in my kitchen oven?

If you didn’t want to do a long cook on an offset smoker, but still wanted to cook BBQ ribs, which would you chose? Or would you do something else? Or are my dreams unrealistic and I would just end up being disappointed? Do you have any other suggestions?

Thanks!
pduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2022, 11:02 PM   #2
okiej
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I was looking hard at the Old Country Gravity Feed, but they were so new and hard to find/see. I also loved reverse flow so ended up with my Shirley which is wonderful. I think the Masterbuilts are cool, but I doubt their long term use. Not familiar with the others yet. I might eventually have a pellet, but I like a heavy smoke profile, so I don't know.
okiej is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-11-2022, 11:51 PM   #3
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I'd spend some $ if you got it and get a Cascade -

http://www.cascadesmokers.com/the-mechanics/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJc0xLlxwgU

Last edited by SmittyJonz; 01-11-2022 at 11:58 PM..
SmittyJonz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-12-2022, 06:20 AM   #4
SmoothBoarBBQ
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Donnie

You're in Wisconsin so you should really check out Ironside Smokers. They make insulated cabinet smokers which can be ran using wood chunks + charcoal, or as a traditional stick burner. This will allow you to have a "set it and forget it" style smoker as well as a stick burner if you decide that you still want the stick burner flavor. They also have a "pellet assist" option which is designed to add a pellet option for cooking, or used to assist with controlling temperatures while you're burning sticks.

I've used pellet smokers and the smoke flavor is very hard to find. I used an insulated cabinet smoker by Spicewine Ironworks and that was pretty close to my stick burner, but not quite the same.

I'm a big fan of the notion of "buy once, cry once" and as such I'm all about dropping some money on the proper piece of equipment for the job.
https://ironsidesmokers.com/

Old 01-12-2022, 06:49 AM   #5
AussieMatt
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Matt

If you're after a IVC, I'd recommend a Humphreys I picked up a Weekender in September last year and love it. Can't see myself using anything else because it's so easy to use.

Weber Original 22" - RIP
UDS
Fiskgriddle
Weber Kettle Premium - Copper
AussieMatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2022, 07:08 AM   #6
bowhnter
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Mike

I ended up with a Grilla Silverback pellet, but looked hard at the masterbuilt 1050.
You will need a smoke tube in the pellet for sure.
I am happy with my purchase for ease of use.

Primo Oval XL
Grilla Silverbac
Weber kettle 22” and 26”
Weber Genesis
Blackstone 22 and 36
Weber Jumbo Joe for the RV
Ooni Pro Pizza Oven

Join us for the South East Bash in Lebanon, Tn. May 4, 2024 https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...p=drivesdk)%5D
Bash planning thread here https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/s...d.php?t=305951
bowhnter is online now   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2022, 07:58 AM   #7
SmittyJonz
somebody shut me the fark up.

I change my answer to Ironside………

Old 01-12-2022, 09:19 AM   #8
teamwhidbey
On the road to being a farker

I've had the 980 for about 6 months and am really happy with the cooker. Adding wood chunks to the hopper allows the smoke profile you want. Using B&B briquettes or lump.
Jenn-Air Gasser
Blackstone 36 Combo (w/air fryers)
Char-Griller 980 Gravity Feed

"Certified Baller of the MOINK"
teamwhidbey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2022, 09:29 AM   #9
rque

Name/Nickname : Ray

I seriously considered the Ironside IVS and the MGrills M36 combo grill-smoker before settling on an offset (Outlaw Patio and Workhorse-went with Workhorse). The Ironside looks like a huge and pricey beast but the ability to do wood/charcoal/pellet was quite intriguing. I’d check them out if they’re close enough to get to!

In the meantime, in weather or times I don’t want to be outside minding the fire all day I compromise. Smoke food until ready to wrap then in the oven it goes.

Old 01-12-2022, 09:55 AM   #10
Beentown
is One Chatty Farker

We need a budget outline to give realistic answers.

Here is the deal with flavor IMHO. It is hard to match a stick burner using correctly seasoned wood. I have all kinds of different smokers and the stick burner burns clean and has the best flavor. Pellets tend to be "weak" in flavor. Charcoal cookers with wood tend to be stronger but not in "wood" flavor that stick burners have.

It is all a compromise.

I have found that the Lonestar Grillz IVS to be the best deal on the market. Fully welded and you get a lot without a bunch of add-on costs. Stronger flavor but you can sleep while it cooks. Takes a long time to warm up.

Pellet smokers. Uber convenient, a monkey can use it, and it can be versatile enough to smoke or grill. Flavor is the weakest. I have a RecTeq for home use. Still fire up my Shirley when I have time.

I would also highly recommend a UDS. Fitted with a temp control unit it can be as good as a pellet smoker with temp control. Great flavor. Cheap. Pair that with a Weber Kettle and you have everything covered.

We had major issues trying to get an Ironsides so I cannot recommend them.
SDG 26' Concession rig, Weber 22.5" x 3, RecTeq1250, UDS with IQ 110, Shirley Fabrication Cabinet Model 24x60 trailer, LS Grillz Large IVS w/offroad package (on the way), Humphreys Q'bed Pint, Assassin 48
Beentown is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2022, 10:03 AM   #11
robertm
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : ROBERT

I've heard the new Lone Star Grillz pellet smoker does pretty good job of infusing smoke flavor into the meat. Have no personal experience with that unit.

Old 01-12-2022, 11:35 AM   #12
Dread Pirate Roberts
Knows what a fatty is.

Name/Nickname : Kevin

Quote:
Originally Posted by teamwhidbey View Post
I've had the 980 for about 6 months and am really happy with the cooker. Adding wood chunks to the hopper allows the smoke profile you want. Using B&B briquettes or lump.
I also have been really pleased with the 980. I've been putting chunks in the ash container though. You getting better results mixing it in with the charcoal? How much do you put in?

Old 01-12-2022, 12:00 PM   #13
teamwhidbey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread Pirate Roberts View Post
I also have been really pleased with the 980. I've been putting chunks in the ash container though. You getting better results mixing it in with the charcoal? How much do you put in?
I haven't put chunks in the ash pan due to the horror stories of melted flaps and fans. I layer some briquettes or lump, followed by a couple of fist size chunks with another layer of briquettes/lump...depending on the length of cook determines how many layers I do.
Jenn-Air Gasser
Blackstone 36 Combo (w/air fryers)
Char-Griller 980 Gravity Feed

"Certified Baller of the MOINK"
teamwhidbey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-12-2022, 03:37 PM   #14
pduck
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beentown View Post
We need a budget outline to give realistic answers.

Sorry, I should have said that I'd like to keep things under $1000-1200. That's why I was wondering about a SmokeFire or a 980.

I'd like to get something better, but my wife doesn't like smoked foods. It's hard to justify anything too expensive knowing she wouldn't eat anything I put on it.
pduck is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-12-2022, 05:33 PM   #15
Chester
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Chester

Quote:
Originally Posted by pduck View Post
Sorry, I should have said that I'd like to keep things under $1000-1200. That's why I was wondering about a SmokeFire or a 980.

I'd like to get something better, but my wife doesn't like smoked foods. It's hard to justify anything too expensive knowing she wouldn't eat anything I put on it.
Either one should suit you fine. I don’t have direct experience with either but would suspect the Smokefire a little easier to operate, but probably not by much. Probably can get more smoke flavor on the gravity and vary the smoke on it more. I prefer charcoal to pellet, so it would be easy for me, but others really like pellet and the Smokefire would be better for them.

Others to consider would be any pellet grill from Smokedaddy, Recteq, Grilla, Camp Chef and several others. I’ve heard the Smokefire produces good smoke flavor, but a smoke tube can be used in any of them to 8mprove their smoke flavor.

Other Gravity fed unit to consider would be the Masterbuilt. The other gravity fed models are more than your budget. The closest is the Old Country gravity fed, which is a much heavier built unit that can be had through Academy Sports. It’s over $1400 now with the cost of steel rising. It has way more steel than anything else on your list though.
UDS home made and ugly
Weber Genesis II SE 330
Breeo X 24
Chester is offline   Reply With Quote