MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 01-02-2022, 05:25 PM   #1
Fowl Hogz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Matt Riggs
Default Competition Chicken Butter in the Pan or Not?

Okay everybody this is my first time posting to a forum so I apologize if I am missing some of the etiquette. However, I believe this is the correct place to ask my question. I have cooked in several competitions with mediocre results and have started practicing for competitions this spring. I have been cooking my chicken thighs in a half sized aluminum pan which based on the endless youtube videos and info on the internet is a fairly common way to cook them in competitions.

I am curios to find out if other people are putting butter in the pan with the thighs and if so at what point. When I put the butter in the pan I get very tender a moist chicken, however the bottom third of the chicken is missing rub. So, I end up with an inconsistent coating of rub and the visually the bottom of the chicken doesn't look great. It seems like I am missing a step so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by Fowl Hogz; 01-02-2022 at 06:43 PM..
Fowl Hogz is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 01-04-2022, 07:44 AM   #2
Robert
is One Chatty Farker

Once cooking is complete, dunk chicken in sauce and put back on smoker for 5-10 minutes to set sauce. Arrange chicken in box and turn it in. In my limited (~15 as judge and ~5 as Table Captain) judging experience, I have never seen a judge turn over meat and judge the bottom. Not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never witnessed it. You could always give a light sprinkle on the bottom after dunking in sauce and before setting on smoker.

Good luck,

Robert
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-04-2022, 07:58 AM   #3
ronbrad62
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Ron

Matt, it sounds like you are doing everything right, and the advice that Robert gave is solid. If you want more rub, then dust it after you dunk it in the sauce, but the same thing happens to me using the same method, so don't stress too much about it. I will often put my finishing dust on the bottom if I think it needs more flavor.
ronbrad62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2022, 08:12 AM   #4
cpw
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Chad

As long as you can't see the bottom of the chicken in the turn in box, it won't affect appearance scores.

For what it's worth, we "set" the rub on the chicken for 30 minutes or so before going into the butter bath.
Yoder YS640
Savannah, GA
Yes, Dear BBQ on Facebook
Proudly sponsored by Royal Oak Charcoal and The Atlanta BBQ store
cpw is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2022, 09:24 AM   #5
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post
As long as you can't see the bottom of the chicken in the turn in box, it won't affect appearance scores.

For what it's worth, we "set" the rub on the chicken for 30 minutes or so before going into the butter bath.
That's what I do as well.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2022, 11:44 AM   #6
thirdeye
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Once cooking is complete, dunk chicken in sauce and put back on smoker for 5-10 minutes to set sauce. Arrange chicken in box and turn it in. In my limited (~15 as judge and ~5 as Table Captain) judging experience, I have never seen a judge turn over meat and judge the bottom. Not saying it doesn't happen, I've just never witnessed it. You could always give a light sprinkle on the bottom after dunking in sauce and before setting on smoker.

Good luck,

Robert
Before biting, I often peek at the bottom side or chicken, but only to check if parsley or kale might need removed. One of my cooking mentors claims the reason he always re-seasons the bottom side with a finishing rub is because the bottom side is what comes into contact with a judges tongue.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-04-2022, 01:10 PM   #7
Fowl Hogz
Got rid of the matchlight.

Name/Nickname : Matt Riggs

Yeah we have been playing around with finishing dust on the chicken. Putting it on the bottom might be a good place for a little extra flavor.
Fowl Hogz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2022, 01:25 PM   #8
Right on Q
is One Chatty Farker

Agree with the comments above. Wouldn't worry about appearance as long as the sauce is set correctly.

As for flavor, I echo what was said earlier about dusting the bottom with extra rub if you feel the flavor is flat.

We put butter in the pan on top of the chicken before it ever goes on the smoker.

As long as i'm getting good scores (170++) I practice my other meats before chicken. But if you're not getting decent scores i'd still practice it.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:05 AM   #9
masque13
is one Smokin' Farker

We always take ours out of the butter and place on a cookie rack and place rub on the side that was in the bath and let that cook on the rack for a period time to ensure rub is everywhere.

Then after that, we dunk in our sauce and and stick em back in the smoker for a few minutes to let the sauce set.
Gateway 55G Drum
masque13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2022, 05:25 AM   #10
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

10 years competing and never did the butter bath thing…always did very well in the chicken category
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-05-2022, 12:56 PM   #11
West River BBQ
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bill

Pretty sound advice being given. Good luck with your next comp.

Old 01-05-2022, 04:27 PM   #12
Ron_L

Name/Nickname : Captain Ron

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdeye View Post
Before biting, I often peek at the bottom side or chicken, but only to check if parsley or kale might need removed. One of my cooking mentors claims the reason he always re-seasons the bottom side with a finishing rub is because the bottom side is what comes into contact with a judges tongue.
I do that as well, but the appearance score is already recorded at that point.

Naked Fatties Rock!

PKGo X 2/PK360/
Ron_L is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-06-2022, 10:30 AM   #13
SweetHeatBBQnSC
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Joedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpw View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron_L View Post
That's what I do as well.
I'm with both of these we smoke for 30 minutes before we put butter in the pan with the chicken.
Isaiah 41:10-Chunky Dunks BBQ-Competition Team
Propane Whole Hog Cooker
Grill Master Gasser--(Deceased)
Weber Kettle 22"(Hoyt)
WSM 22.5"(Bertha)
RecTeq 590(Fancy)
Blackstone 17" griddle
O.G. Barrel Charcoal Grill--(Chicken Graveyard)
Clemson Orange Thermapen Mk4
SweetHeatBBQnSC is offline   Reply With Quote