• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

dual threat 2 questions please

Negolien

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey All,

I always try and plan my meals ahead of time and shop for items a week or two ahead of cookin em. I have two cooks i' am thinking of doing and have questions.

1. I wanna do meatloaf again. I usually only use ground beef but was thinking of adding some jimmy dean sausage as I have seen some do a 2 lb gd and 1 pound porky mix. Advice? Ohh ps thoughts on mini loafs instead of one big loaf? was thinking of individual servings like cow pies /snicker.

2. I am gonna do a chuck roast on the mb 560 for pot roast. I' am gonna do the carrots and red taters in crock pot as usual. I haven't smoke a chuck roast. 3 lb choice trying to get a fat round one. thoughts?

#1. I do mni-loaves. I thing I saw for a pro chef was to check for doneness was to check the top 1/3rd for temp instead of center. 160-165*F.

#2. Lots of great recipes for chuck roast here.

I'm not a fan of smoking beef and pork mixed but that's just me.

Good Luck!

Kosmos Q has a great meatloaf recipe that you should Google and it will also answer both of your loaf questions.

I actually think I' am gonna go rogue on the loaf and try my first fatty instead /gasp lol. Gonna do a beef/pork stuffed with yellow onions, 4 cheese blend and jalapenos.

Chucks probably gonna be the hard one I don't have much luck with beef i tend to pull early

1. I always do meatloaf with beef and ground pork just like I do chili. 2:1 ratio beef and pork. The pork adds extra flavor that beef doesn't have. In the end it's a great combination.

Ultimate meatloaf=equal parts beef,pork,veal.Bastardize it as you wish after that with add ins and seasonings.

How about the 3.5 lb cross rib? I got some Kosmos reserve blend injection I was saving. I think I will use that and a mix of honey chipotle killer bee and one of the cow covers. cooking till 198 to 205.

For the fatty should I sauté the onions and jalapenos before putting em in the middle of the fatty?

I will throw this warning out there for anyone using meatloaf with JD. I always go pork and beef and have used many different types of generic brands sausage. My last one I used JD instead and the JD sausages flavor is so much stronger than other brands. It was overkill and took over the meatloaf flavor. However I go 1:1 ratio of pork to beef and it's great.

I love smoking a chuck roast. Mississippi pot roast is excellent!

I just did one with 1.5 lb. of 80/20 beef and 1 lb of ground pork. Came out really good. Thought about sausage instead of ground, but thought it might take it over.

184316342_10223309372780232_6637294435525483854_n.jpg

50:50 ground beef and ground pork is my favorite combination, for moistness and flavor. I've not used breakfast sausage but I do mix 1# of my bulk chorizo to 1# of beef, then add hi-temp cheese, Mexican seasonings and sometimes even some super sweet corn. I pin bacon across the top before smoking.

5NsCaQ9.jpg

This is the hi-temp cheese version.

YH4xSCi.jpg

As far as the chuck goes, the cook is straightforward, but they do like a wrapped step with some broth for tenderness, just watch it close so you don't wind up with a pot roast kind of texture.

Kosmos Q has a great meatloaf recipe that you should Google and it will also answer both of your loaf questions.

This. In the intro to the video he talks about it being a great seller for him in the past. I can second this. I use it to pay our dog sitter, and have several family members that have offered to pay for me to make this for them more often.

Thanks yeah I should have looked more I just assumed it was pork sausage should have had some ground regular pork it sounds like. I will try it since I got it.

I will probably do the chuck roast middle of the week. I got a 3# cross rib roast this time not sure how different it's gonna be than a normal chuck. I have a good sized cast iron with lid was thinking of doin the baby red potatoes and baby carrots in it since i will have the grill goin anyways. I was gonna crock pot em.

Back