Trouble deciding between a pellet or a gravity smoker..(imagine that)

digital

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
Hey there BB peeps, can't decide between a pellet or a gravity smoker. The gravity smoker idea looks pretty cool. I'm a little hesitant since there's only a couple brands putting them out that I'm aware of. Not sure about build quality either. I do want something that I can grill simple things on like burgers and chicken during the week but then slow and and smoke some ribs or tri-tip on the weekend. Appreciate any input here..

I'm not sure if there is a gravity feed cooker that can grill. The ones that I know of (Southern Q, Stumps, Rebel, Assassin, etc.) are all smokers.

If you want to grill and smoke, then the answer is a pellet cooker.

Last edited:
I'm not sure if there is a gravity feed cooker that can grill. The ones that I know of (Southern Q, Stumps, Rebel, Assassin, etc.) are all smokers.

If you want to grill and smoke, then the answer is a pellet cooker.

Gotcha! TY

How many square inches of cooking space do you need?

I'd like to fit a whole turkey in there, other than a few racks of ribs here and there, tri-tip, I don't need anything too big.

Two different animals

For under $1000 I would look at GMG and Camp Chef. You can probably see these locally, kick the tires before you buy. Bought a Grilla Silverback for my son-in-law but had bad experiences with the company and wouldn't do it again. Don't like chrome horns or I might suggest Recteq.

Masterbuilt and Chargriller both have charcoal gravity feed grills that smoke and grill, I think this is what he may have been referring to. If this is the case, I would take one of them over any pellet cooker. You can get real smoke flavor with them, pellet grills are not known for putting down good smoke flavor.

Last edited:
Are you referring to the Masterbuilt Gravity Series and the new Char Griller offering?

If so, people that have them seem to love the results. Enough that the rave about them despite several issues they encountered with some poor parts. I have been intrigued by them too as you can have more control over smoke output and get to higher temps then pellet grills. However, it’s still an indirect convection grill and smoker much like a pellet grill.

A pellet grill is likely going to provide more reliability and likely last longer than products from the two companies making this style of gravity grills so far. The effort needed to cook a meal is probably going to be similar. Food results may have higher potential on the gravity grills though. I’m a big pellet grill fan, but think this new area has the potential to take a big slice out of the pellet market.

Edit: Lahawk1 snuck in while I was typing.

As someone who has both, I'd go with the the pellet pooper. Gravity fed will give you a better flavor, but it's not going to let you do burgers and chicken very easily.

Are you referring to the Masterbuilt Gravity Series and the new Char Griller offering?

If so, people that have them seem to love the results. Enough that the rave about them despite several issues they encountered with some poor parts. I have been intrigued by them too as you can have more control over smoke output and get to higher temps then pellet grills. However, it’s still an indirect convection grill and smoker much like a pellet grill.

A pellet grill is likely going to provide more reliability and likely last longer than products from the two companies making this style of gravity grills so far. The effort needed to cook a meal is probably going to be similar. Food results may have higher potential on the gravity grills though. I’m a big pellet grill fan, but think this new area has the potential to take a big slice out of the pellet market.

Edit: Lahawk1 snuck in while I was typing.

Yep, those are the two I was looking at. I really like the concept, I'm just worried about the cheap build/parts they're putting in these things? I might wait it out a bit then.

With your stated budget/need I would highly recommend you look at the Camp Chef pellet grill lineup w/ the side sear station.

Back