Fireboard Drive and Intake Valve Settings

Music Junkie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Hey guys:

As I have begun my journey to learn how to use the new IVC, I have been humbled by controlling the pit temps a little. The first time I fired it up to burn it in, it held pretty steady for the four hours I was shooting for. The next time I fired it up I cooked some St. Louis ribs. I was shooting for 250, but it crept up to 275 and above. I didn't worry too much, as the ribs are forgiving. The last time I fired it up, I did so with the fireboard drive hooked up to see how it would work. I threw on a chuck roast to give it a try. I had the intake wide open and the exhaust wide open to get the pit up to temp (shooting for 225). When I got to 175, I cranked the exhaust down to 50%, but left the intake alone figuring the drive would handle that part. When it reached 200, I closed the exhaust to about 25% or so. The pit settled in pretty close to 225. However, as the cook progressed, the temp kept creeping up toward 275 then 300. I would open it up and let it drop for a while, but when I closed it back up, the temp would creep on me again.

Do you still need to shut down the intake as you go, or is the fan supposed to control it. It's not an airtight fit, so I am thinking that this might be the culprit. I'm guessing that I should have closed it up like I normally would have to limit the air, and let the fan work only to keep it aired when it needed it to raise the temp....

I'll openly admit to my lack of knowledge in this new cooking style, so I am hoping for some friendly advice.

Might help to post a pic of the setup. It sounds like maybe there’s air coming in through an intake in addition to the fan? If that’s the case I’d shut that down. Depending on the fan you’re using, you can find attachments that close the airflow from the fan when it’s not blowing. The fireboard drive should do a great job controlling the temps. Just need to cap off the excess air.

I just leave my intake open 100% when using my fan.

If it isn’t running, no air is going in. If that isn’t the case for your fan, then u r going to have a hard time controlling temps

I also set my initial temp 25 or so degrees below my final set temp. Wait until it hits that and the set my final temp. FireBoard tends to overshoot otherwise.

I usually run it at 275-325 depending on what I am cooking and how hungry I am.

I run the FB controller/drive with my large LSG IVC. I leave the intake wide open and the exhaust wide open through the whole process. My pit struggles to maintain 300, but I rarely run it that high. The LSG seals up tighter than a drum, so there are no air leaks. Double check for air leaks.

Might help to post a pic of the setup. It sounds like maybe there’s air coming in through an intake in addition to the fan? If that’s the case I’d shut that down. Depending on the fan you’re using, you can find attachments that close the airflow from the fan when it’s not blowing. The fireboard drive should do a great job controlling the temps. Just need to cap off the excess air.

Here are some shots. You can see that I do have a damper that slides up and down to control the airflow, but there are openings from the side which could let air in if I leave the intake wide open.

Attachments

• Firedrive 01.jpg
    Firedrive 01.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 106
  • Firedrive 02.jpg
    Firedrive 02.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 108
  • Firedrive 03.jpg
    Firedrive 03.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 111
  • Firedrive 04.jpg
    Firedrive 04.jpg
    45 KB · Views: 110
I just leave my intake open 100% when using my fan.

If it isn’t running, no air is going in. If that isn’t the case for your fan, then u r going to have a hard time controlling temps

I also set my initial temp 25 or so degrees below my final set temp. Wait until it hits that and the set my final temp. FireBoard tends to overshoot otherwise.

I usually run it at 275-325 depending on what I am cooking and how hungry I am.

Thanks for the hint on the overshoot, I'll keep an eye out for that.

I tend to run my pit anywhere between 225 and 350, depending on what is on the menu for the day.

I run the FB controller/drive with my large LSG IVC. I leave the intake wide open and the exhaust wide open through the whole process. My pit struggles to maintain 300, but I rarely run it that high. The LSG seals up tighter than a drum, so there are no air leaks. Double check for air leaks.

The leaks had crossed my mind as well. I had read a previous post about dialing in pit temps, and that came up. I'll look closer, but I don't know where any added air could be getting in. That's the tricky part though, right...

I also read about limiting the amount of charcoal burning to avoid too much going off at one time. That seemed to be a mixed bag though. Some running slim snakes or U's, and others just dumping a big pile in the basket and lighting a small area in the location closest to the intake. Nothing really definitive there.

At any rate, thanks for taking the time to respond and giving me some insight.

I can't be of much help on the fan portion, but I think by opening the door to cool things down that you actually ended up adding a lot more oxygen/draw to the existing fire and inadvertently did the exact opposite of what you were trying to achieve.

The more you leave the door closed, the less your temps should fluctuate once it settles in

I can't be of much help on the fan portion, but I think by opening the door to cool things down that you actually ended up adding a lot more oxygen/draw to the existing fire and inadvertently did the exact opposite of what you were trying to achieve.

The more you leave the door closed, the less your temps should fluctuate once it settles in

Well hell..... I swear I learn something new everyday on this site!

I knew there would be a curve when jumping into this new pit type, so it's a good thing I love learning.:doh:

The leaks had crossed my mind as well. I had read a previous post about dialing in pit temps, and that came up. I'll look closer, but I don't know where any added air could be getting in. That's the tricky part though, right...

I also read about limiting the amount of charcoal burning to avoid too much going off at one time. That seemed to be a mixed bag though. Some running slim snakes or U's, and others just dumping a big pile in the basket and lighting a small area in the location closest to the intake. Nothing really definitive there.

At any rate, thanks for taking the time to respond and giving me some insight.

I run mine in a snake pattern using T plates. That seems to work best for me. I start around 10 pieces of charcoal in a small chimney and put those on. I also have a different fan than the one you have. I have the fan that was offered by LSG when I bought it. It doesn't use the slide damper. It has a flap inside of it that opens and closes with the flow of air.

I run mine in a snake pattern using T plates. That seems to work best for me. I start around 10 pieces of charcoal in a small chimney and put those on. I also have a different fan than the one you have. I have the fan that was offered by LSG when I bought it. It doesn't use the slide damper. It has a flap inside of it that opens and closes with the flow of air.

Carl:

How far apart do you place your T plates? I have three in my box and have had them about 5"-6" apart so far. Should run them a bit closer together? Also, how high do you place your charcoal/wood? My box will allow for 5"-6" in depth as well.

I see that a few people have said they use a half a chimney for a starter or about 10-12 pieces. I started off with almost a full chimney, so maybe I am introducing too much from the get go?

Thanks for the response, I appreciate the help.

Don't have an IVC, however I do use my FB2Drive on a couple of cookers. Make sure you're using the preferred PID for that smoker. Also, as advised, I set the FB2D to 20* or 30* below my desired temp. Once it settles, I reset to the desired temp. This really helps with overshoots.
The Fireboard Facebook page is a great place for advice.

I can't really help you on your Que Deville, but will make a few suggestions on what I would try.

On my Limo Jr, all valves/dampers are wide open. The Limo doesn't have an exhaust valve. i have a 10CFM BBQ Guru that I use. This valve is also wide open.

I think I would try leaving the exhaust damper wide open, and if you have to choke down on the fame then use it to restrict airflow at the fan section. Try that. I think letting the air leave the smoker at will is a good idea.

Carl:

How far apart do you place your T plates? I have three in my box and have had them about 5"-6" apart so far. Should run them a bit closer together? Also, how high do you place your charcoal/wood? My box will allow for 5"-6" in depth as well.

I see that a few people have said they use a half a chimney for a starter or about 10-12 pieces. I started off with almost a full chimney, so maybe I am introducing too much from the get go?

Thanks for the response, I appreciate the help.

5-6" is about what I do. Weather I am doing a short cook or a long cook I always fill my charcoal/wood level to the top. I don't always use the entire firebox because it may be a short cook. 5 hours compared to 16 hours. But I fill to the top. I hope this helps.

I have an IVC on order and will probably go with a Fireboard at some point also, this is really good info - thanks everyone.

Well, I picked up a 3 pack of St. Louis ribs at Costco today, so I'll be practicing again.:cool:

I make sure to take some pics and report in. As always, I am grateful for the feedback and support. Love this place!

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the help. I had a very successful cook yesterday. Cooked three racks of St. Louis ribs, and a dozen shotgun shells.

I ran my charcoal maze the same as I always to, but used about a third of the briquettes that I normally do in the chimney. Once I got the dumped the hot coals in, I left the intake fully open and the exhaust fully open. I set the fireboard to hit 225 and let her rip. As it got to 175, I cranked the intake down to about half. Once it hit 200, I cranked it down to about 1/4 and left it there. I left the exhaust wide open. The fireboard just buzzed along at about 6%-15% and settled in at 226. It held there for the entire cook, steady as a rock. Since the fireboard drive fan has the open slots on the side, I think I will still need to control the air a little in the intake. If I leave it wide open, even if the fan isn't blowing, it is letting air in. Closing down the intake seemed to have solved that.

Nothing better than practicing and then getting to eat something good.:becky:

Just wanted to thank everyone again for the help. I had a very successful cook yesterday. Cooked three racks of St. Louis ribs, and a dozen shotgun shells.

I ran my charcoal maze the same as I always to, but used about a third of the briquettes that I normally do in the chimney. Once I got the dumped the hot coals in, I left the intake fully open and the exhaust fully open. I set the fireboard to hit 225 and let her rip. As it got to 175, I cranked the intake down to about half. Once it hit 200, I cranked it down to about 1/4 and left it there. I left the exhaust wide open. The fireboard just buzzed along at about 6%-15% and settled in at 226. It held there for the entire cook, steady as a rock. Since the fireboard drive fan has the open slots on the side, I think I will still need to control the air a little in the intake. If I leave it wide open, even if the fan isn't blowing, it is letting air in. Closing down the intake seemed to have solved that.

Excellent. The Fireboard is a good controller. Glad you got it working for you, and hopefully from here on, it's more plug and play.

Good job making it work.

My experience with the exhaust and also based upon what the builder told me is it controls the top to bottom heat distribution.

I leave mine halfway open, which is supposed to be even heat top to bottom.

Good job making it work.

My experience with the exhaust and also based upon what the builder told me is it controls the top to bottom heat distribution.

I leave mine halfway open, which is supposed to be even heat top to bottom.

Rob told me the same thing, so that's what I had been doing before. With the combination of the air leak from the Fireboard fan, and closing the exhaust down to 50%, I think it was trapping too much heat. I probably could have shut it down to 50% yesterday, since I had the intake figured out. However, the top rack ran at 226 all day, and the bottom rack ran at 219. It did take it a while to even out. Perhaps, had I shut down the exhaust, it would have evened out sooner. I'll have to see if that makes a difference on the next cook.

Back