Dang It!!

SmokeyBear

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I ordered my BGE on 12/30/06, but I ordered it with a table, and I had to wait on the table to be built to pick it all up, which I did last Friday. The dealer sold 43 BGEs in December and had a run on everything BGE. When I picked it up last Friday, they promised me they would get in a plate setter, a pizza stone, and a rack extender and hold it all for me.

I swung by there this morning and was told it should all arive in the store within the next twenty minutes as it was being brought from their store in another town. Then I'm told the person forgot to load it on the truck, but that another run was being made that afternoon and that it would be here by 2pm.
My wife was on her way just now to get the stuff and was about 5 minutes from the store when they called to say that the plate setter was broken. I'm a bit miffed.

They said they would loan me a plate setter from the in-store BGE until a new one could come on Tuesday. I didn't think to ask if they got the other stuff into the store.

So, pretty much three weeks after plunking down money, I still don't have everything. If I'd known that I would be waiting this long and going through this for the accessories, I would have gone to the other dealer nearby and given up the 10% discount on the accessories.

SmokeyBear,

That is a bummer. From the sounds of it there was a chitload of new eggs purchased around Christmas, but that is no excuse for goofing up your order twice.

Maybe you will at least get the grate extender, that will allow a lot of possibilities. You can use a pizza stone or just a drip pan for a heat deflector while you are waiting on the plate setter.

I'm sure you will enjoy your new toy, they are a cool cooker.

Congrats on your new cooker!

If the dealer wanted to make up for his mistakes, maybe a free accessory or an extra discount would be in order. Just a thought.

Fredbird said:

If the dealer wanted to make up for his mistakes, maybe a free accessory or an extra discount would be in order. Just a thought.

I concur. It sounds like the dealer is 'trying real hard', but they should recognize that your experience has fallen short in spite of their effort. It would be a wise thing for them to make a gesture to show that they appreciate your frustration and want you to be a happy (and possibly repeat) customer.

Fredbird said:

Both you guys are right. Even a free bag of BGE lump would be a good gesture....

Get that in store platesetter while you can before someone else gets it! I had similar experiences when my P/S arrived they opened the shipping box and the first one they pulled out was broken, luckily the other 2 survived. My pizza stone was to arrive at the same time but didn't- a week later they call and the stone is there without any packaging, all smudged up and a chip in it the size of a quarter! I bitched and they called the distributor and said if I wanted to use it they'd get a new one. 3 weeks later it shows up. It must have been a good year for BGE judging from the new owners questions on the forum.

..... my dealer is much smaller, but has had multiple broken plate setter issues due to various shipping problems. It seems that piece is just fragile as heck when subjected to impact even when well padded. I am very careful handling mine, and have used it for many cooks with no issues.

Hang in there and keep experimenting with other product and accessory items. Contact Tom Vogels over on the BGE Forum re. his various accessory items ... they are excellent and really add to the cookers versatility. Post a request re. an 'adjustable grid and spider' so someone can get back to you with his contact info.

My wife was actually on the way to the store when the guy called me. She got there about five minutes later, and was told something completely different.

She came home without the plate setter or any of the stuff.

I called and the manager that had called me was gone for the day; so, I spoke to the guy that had handled my actual sale. He was not pleased either, but I didn't get any real satisfaction. He called back later and said that the manager had screwed things up. He also said that he got calls from four other customers after I called him.

It sounds like you're dealing with a bunch of idiots.
I think I'd contact the manufacturer customer service dept.

I spoke with the manager by phone a few minutes ago, and he was apologetic, but he also seemed annoyed by having to deal with this. I think they just got overun with orders all at the same time and have been struggling to keep up. The pizza stone is in, but it will be Tuesday or Wednesday before the rest of the stuff gets here.

I'm just shocked at this as their customer service prior to the sale was great, and they are always very helpful when in the store (it's an Ace Hardware store) for stuff.

It really rots when you have to wait and wait for something that you really want. Sorry your having such problems.

Back