MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:14 PM   #1
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Default How hard is it to make a BBQ Sauce?

Ive made a rub that I LOVE now that Ive cut the cayenne from 1/4 CUP to a few tblspoons. Now, I wanna make a sauce, but have no clue where to start. I grew up on Eastern NC BBQ and love the mustard based sauces, but I wanna learn to do tomato based as well. Any of you guys have any "tricks" you wanna share with the noob?

Im like a sponge, guys...I wanna LEARN all I can!
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500
CUTigerQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 08:19 PM   #2
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

ketchup, cider vinegar, brown sugar.

build from there
I heard the rip when you sat down.
PimpSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #3
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Steve Petrone's #5 sauce

1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/3 cup brown sugar
1 tablespoon worchestershire sauce
1 tablespoon rub

Opional but v. good: 1/4 cup meat drippings
(whats left in the foil after the rest)

Simmer to marry the flavors and thicken as desired

Build from there, that's a little better.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:23 PM   #4
Smokin' D
is One Chatty Farker

Making a sauce is easy. Making a great sauce, now that's not so easy. Probably the best place to start is look in a BBQ cookbook. Mike Mills' book "Peace, Love and BBQ", my current favorite, has some great recipes. And some great stories. Chris Lilly's book is good too. After following some recipes and seeing how things come together, modify the recipe and add in flavors, spices, herbs that you like. Experimentation is the key.
Smokin' D is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 08:25 PM   #5
MilitantSquatter

Making sauce is fun.. I used to make a lot of sauces but haven't made one in about two years though.

Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauce's is a good introduction to the thought process about the basics and options that can be explored.

http://www.amazon.com/Paul-Kirks-Cha.../dp/155832125X
XL BGE (#2) & Performer Platinum

Former owner: Jambo Backyard, Klose BYC, Lonestar Vertical offset w/ Insulated Firebox, Medium Spicewine, Pitts & Spitts, XL BGE (#1) & (2) Medium BGE's, 22" WSM & (2) 18" WSM's, 18" & 22" Weber Kettles
MilitantSquatter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #6
Kevin
Quintessential Chatty Farker

This one doesn't suck.

24 ounce bottle Hunt's ketchup
15 ounce can tomato sauce
2 cups packed brown sugar
1 cup cider vinegar
2 tablespoons Worsy.
2 tablespoons fresh cracked black pepper
2 tablespoons red pepper flakes
2 tablespoons paprika
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons dry mustard
4 teaspoons Texas Pete's

Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan. Cook and stir over low heat until the sugar melts and the ingredients are blended, simmer about 10 minutes.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:29 PM   #7
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

Start with the liquid ingredients FIRST. Aretha Franklin, Billy Ocean, Frank Sinatra, Sir Duke, Billy Dee Williams etc, the really watery stuff. DO NOT put in your Fred Wesleys, Sly Stone or Family Stones in at this stage.

Bring thin liquids to a mother popcorn first and give them the HeatWave with the SPICES first and for only 3rd of a Fifteen Minute Man. This infuses the spices and makes them funky in your funky stank thang. You do not want to leave at a popcorn for too long or it will evaporate.

Next add your Little Richards, your James Browns but not your Jackie Wilsons, Aunt Jemima's, your Taste of Honey, Grace Jones, Moms Mabley or nuthin at this stage either. The point is to get James or Little Richard to melt into the nectar of spices and liquids you made.

This needs to come down to a Phillip Bailey so you can add your Wesley's and your Sly or family stone at this time. Make this funky, close the high hat up and back off your mic for a while.

The final additions of your pectin based funk should be added last. Jackie, jams, jellies, jamimas and joo joos can be added last.

Once this is done, so sauce is complete unless you gave it time to break out in a cold sweat.

Old 02-15-2010, 08:35 PM   #8
PimpSmoke
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by barbefunkoramaque View Post
Start with the liquid ingredients FIRST. Aretha Franklin, Billy Ocean, Frank Sinatra, Sir Duke, Billy Dee Williams etc, the really watery stuff. DO NOT put in your Fred Wesleys, Sly Stone or Family Stones in at this stage.

Bring thin liquids to a mother popcorn first and give them the HeatWave with the SPICES first and for only 3rd of a Fifteen Minute Man. This infuses the spices and makes them funky in your funky stank thang. You do not want to leave at a popcorn for too long or it will evaporate.

Next add your Little Richards, your James Browns but not your Jackie Wilsons, Aunt Jemima's, your Taste of Honey, Grace Jones, Moms Mabley or nuthin at this stage either. The point is to get James or Little Richard to melt into the nectar of spices and liquids you made.

This needs to come down to a Phillip Bailey so you can add your Wesley's and your Sly or family stone at this time. Make this funky, close the high hat up and back off your mic for a while.

The final additions of your pectin based funk should be added last. Jackie, jams, jellies, jamimas and joo joos can be added last.

Once this is done, so sauce is complete unless you gave it time to break out in a cold sweat.

When do you add the Flecks with the Bela?

Old 02-15-2010, 08:47 PM   #9
KuyasKitchen
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

Bloody hell! Where's that glossary when you need it?

IMBAS Certified MOINK Baller
Equipment: Weber Kettle, Stainless GOSM,
Green Super-Fast Thermapen
Equipment Wish List: Smokehouse, Backyard Brick Pit with Lechon Spit
KuyasKitchen is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 08:55 PM   #10
CUTigerQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:

OMG...that was AWESOME!! I could figure out SOME of it, but not all.
Gateway Drum
ORANGE Thermapen
Flame Boss 500
CUTigerQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 08:56 PM   #11
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

What that means is that the inefficiency of trying to distribute your spice flavors in a think medium that has to simmer all day is moronic. Why people start with their thickest ingredient first staggers the imagination.

There is an order to chaos.

I make this special sauce with tomato paste (family Stone-i think), vinegar, beef drippings from the briskets and v8 juice. Now can you imagine me mixing up the spices into the paste?

Yeah... the above is about as close as you can get to angleos STORE sauce.

Thanks from:--->
Old 02-15-2010, 09:22 PM   #12
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Here are three tips.

If you use sugar (cane, brown, etc.) heat the sauce to make sure the sugar dissolves properly.

If you need to thicken your sauce, mix some cold liquid (vinegar, water, apple juice, or a combo of the three, etc. Not much liquid, you only need about 1/4 of a cup or less.) with a tablespoon of corn starch for every two cups of liquid you are trying to thicken. Mix just the corn starch into the 1/4 cup or less of the liquid well so that there are no lumps. Bring the sauce to a gentle boil and wisk in just enough of the corn starch mixture to bring it to the desired thickness.

Try adding a little apple sauce to your BBQ sauce. It's good sometimes for a change.

Last edited by Boshizzle; 02-15-2010 at 09:41 PM..
Boshizzle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-15-2010, 09:37 PM   #13
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

a year ago I would have told you Boshizzle had lost his mind.

Fact is, I learned a peach preserve/vinegar/brown sugar cause that was out of this world and mostly because it did not get reduced.... how did they thicken it??? corn starch.

Boshizzle knowledge here is comparable to like those soft nubile perky breasts that point up in a very legitimate and intelligent manner.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:38 PM   #14
barbefunkoramaque
Babbling Farker

for liquor flavored sauces, fuse out liquor in a simple syrup first.

Old 02-15-2010, 09:42 PM   #15
Boshizzle
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:

Boshizzle knowledge here is comparable to like those soft nubile perky breasts that point up in a very legitimate and intelligent manner.
Well, that's HIGH praise, I think.