MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-17-2013, 03:34 AM   #1
Dozer183e
Found some matches.

Default Brick Pit Design/Contruction

Greetings, I have been researching quite a bit here and elsewhere as I am about to build a pig pit that I would like to combo as a grill for steaks, burgers, etc. The main reason I am building it is to have somewhere to roast pigs, which I do about 2-3 times per year. Might become more frequent if I had a permanent place to do it! I grill maybe 2 times per months. Getting it to work great for both is a little bit of a challenge, but here is what I have come up with. A brick rectangle in the same dimensions I currently use my portable blocks to roast pigs. The means 63" x 48" x 30" high. The idea is simple, I'll build a ledge to hold the pig "cage" I have made from rebar. The same ledge could be used to hold a steel grate I'll have made, so the grilling part will be at the far end of the rectangle. By placing rebar in the bricks, across the short side, I can set a firebox close to the grill for my direct heat meals. I'll put coals in the four corners on the ground for my pig roasts. I think this should work, I have large pieces of tin for the lid which lay across the top. Not sure how this would work for grilling, but that's what Iuse for the pig roasting. Here is the layout/design I have come up with, please hammer away and give me any feedback.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pit Plan.jpg (31.8 KB, 237 views)
File Type: jpg Pit Sect.jpg (36.2 KB, 236 views)
File Type: jpg Pit.JPG (65.4 KB, 238 views)
Dozer183e is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Georgiaboy98
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

Looks like a good design, I don't see any reason you couldn't have a dual purpose block pit.

Old 09-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #3
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

Solid design, no reason you can't cook anything you want on something like that. You might consider an opening or door at the base to be able to add fuel, cleanout etc.

Thanks from:--->
Old 09-17-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
Dozer183e
Found some matches.

Thanks - it is pretty simple but I am worried about having a good lid for the grilling aspect. If I use the flat sheet metal, it may be difficult to move around, and the height from meat will be quite low. I can maybe have a dome type lid made, but not sure how heavy that could get is it is about 20" x 30". Trying to figure out how to hinge it but not sure on that one yet.

Also, I'll be adding an access door at the bottom to stoke the fire when pig roasting, and to add air if needed. Hopefully the one door will be enough. I'll also have some weep hole at the bottom to let water out if it gets in, and will also allow air in.

Old 09-17-2013, 06:03 AM   #5
sliding_billy
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : )

Before I moved (when I had acreage and didn't live in a subdivision), I wanted to build a pig pit in the worst way. I never got to it. That looks like it will be great!
sliding_billy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 10:30 AM   #6
cowgirl
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : jeanie

I use a cinderblock pit for both whole hog cooking and grilling. It's nothing fancy but it works great.
http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...nderblock.html

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/...ck-pit_19.html

For direct grilling I open one end and use a shovel and rake to add hot coals and move them where needed. As for the lid, I use light weight tin. It's easy for me to lift.
Good luck with your build!

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/
cowgirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-17-2013, 11:07 AM   #7
MeatCandy
Full Fledged Farker

Looks nice...along with a lower access door(s), have the re-bar removable for versatility and access...

For the lid...laminate some tin on a sheet of plywood, split it 1/2(2 small lids are better than one)......Cheap, easy and not to heavy...My .02
MeatCandy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-18-2013, 01:23 AM   #8
Dozer183e
Found some matches.

Okay, I have now decided to leave the rebar out. I'd want to get inside to clean occasionally, and to build the fire for pig roasts or other slow cooking meals. I have a stack of cinder blocks from my previous pig roasts laying around that could "live" inside this guy went not pig roasting. I could set a firebox on those when grilling.
I have plenty of access to time for a lid. If I laminate it to plywood, might be okay for slow roasting, but for grilling shouldn't I worry about the plywood charring?

One thing about grilling I was worried about - the ledge for the grill sits about 4" below the top edge. when trying to flip meat this could be an awkward angle. Maybe I should leave the top course of brick off at this edge for this?

Here is what I am looking at now.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Pit 2A.jpg (65.0 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Pit 2B.jpg (64.3 KB, 111 views)
File Type: jpg Pit 2C.jpg (51.1 KB, 111 views)

Old 09-18-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

FYI, we had an old brick pit that was about 4ftX8ft and about the same height as your desigh that we used mostly for slow roasting but when we wanted to grill Chickens or steaks for a crowd, I would just stand concrete blocks on end and add a rebar & expanded metal grate to raise the fire up about 1/2 way from the floor to the cooking grill, worked great with wood or charcoal.