MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-01-2013, 08:30 PM   #31
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muzzlebrake View Post
Wow that's a deal!

I can get choice for that if I go to one of the distributor's @ Hunts Point Market. Most local grocers in this area charge more than that for whole choice brisket no matter what the brand is. The last time I was @ RD their National Brand Angis briskets I think were $2.79lb case price.
If I had a restaurant perhaps. I can't do anything with a case of 11lb packers. Two years ago I got cases that had five 17lb prime packers inside for $2.25lb. It was cheaper than the local grocers had choice. Now its just way hit or miss on size and quality. I've given up. I'm just cooking the biggest packers I can find from RD now. I'm sure I'm leaving something on the table but I'll shoot for a low call with my junky choice stuff and keep some money in my pocket.

Thanks from:--->

Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 AM   #32
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

I've looked at the RD briskets, and some of them look really good I think!..
Podge is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #33
wyocurt
On the road to being a farker

Have used Creek Stone for sometime now and its the last. Got a case in and they were all small and didn't cook up well. Most we tough and the point were so small that you could just barely get enough burnt ends to turn in. Going back to choice angus had more walks then.
FEC 100
wsm 22.5
RMBBQA Member
CBBQA
cbj #63452:-P
wyocurt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 10:35 AM   #34
smokeisgood
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourbon Barrel BBQ View Post
If I had a restaurant perhaps. I can't do anything with a case of 11lb packers. Two years ago I got cases that had five 17lb prime packers inside for $2.25lb. It was cheaper than the local grocers had choice. Now its just way hit or miss on size and quality. I've given up. I'm just cooking the biggest packers I can find from RD now. I'm sure I'm leaving something on the table but I'll shoot for a low call with my junky choice stuff and keep some money in my pocket.
Curious as to why you would pick the largest. Wouldn't a larger packer mean an older cow, hence a tougher cow, and a smaller packer be from a smaller, younger, more tender cow?

Old 07-02-2013, 10:43 AM   #35
Stark-O-Rama
On the road to being a farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokeisgood View Post
Curious as to why you would pick the largest. Wouldn't a larger packer mean an older cow, hence a tougher cow, and a smaller packer be from a smaller, younger, more tender cow?
Great question! I wonder about this too. Who knows, maybe this conversation is going to get into the "left, or right side brisket".
[/B]Disposable Cutting Boards on a Perforated Roll, 5 gl Bucket Liners, Steam Pan Liners, Cooler Liners, Stark Naked BBQ Pit, Probe & Grill Cleaner, Stark Kitchen Food Grade Surface Cleaner
[url]www.starkboards.com[/url]
Stark-O-Rama is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #36
Hawg Father of Seoul
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Breed, breeding, and the processor have a lot to do with brisket size.
Hawg Father of Seoul is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-02-2013, 12:06 PM   #37
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg Father of Seoul View Post
Breed, breeding, and the processor have a lot to do with brisket size.
yes, and a nice even thick slice looks better in the box than something that looks like a thin Sizzler Sirloin.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #38
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podge View Post
I've looked at the RD briskets, and some of them look really good I think!..
The last two comps we cooked a creekstone prime along side a RD and turned the RD in both times. We did turn in the burnt ends off the creekstone but the flavor on the RD flat was better. Go figure. We didn't get a call in either comp but the scores weren't terrible so I think we are just going to save ourselves a $100 a comp and keep on keeping on. That being said our briskets we cooked a couple years ago were better IMO and judges agreed. We haven't changed a thing so brisket quality is the only thing I can mark it down to.

Old 07-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #39
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
I've never had a problem getting them tender. The larger (and usually fattier) packers are more forgiving when it comes to drying them out IMO. I like a nice thick flat and well marbled point. That usually comes on the bigger packers. You can get great results on a smaller packer I just like the added insurance of a big (thick) packer.

Old 07-02-2013, 08:07 PM   #40
Bourbon Barrel BBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Here is a pic from our first creekstone case 2 years ago. This case accounted for 3 consecutive brisket wins. We had 4 overall that season in I think 9 contests. We haven't won brisket since. haha. These things were beautiful. I felt guilty taking the trophies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (109.9 KB, 181 views)

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-03-2013, 09:48 AM   #41
Podge
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
The last two comps we cooked a creekstone prime along side a RD and turned the RD in both times. We did turn in the burnt ends off the creekstone but the flavor on the RD flat was better. Go figure. We didn't get a call in either comp but the scores weren't terrible so I think we are just going to save ourselves a $100 a comp and keep on keeping on. That being said our briskets we cooked a couple years ago were better IMO and judges agreed. We haven't changed a thing so brisket quality is the only thing I can mark it down to.

I would agree.. the creekstones of a couple of years ago were great when we got them from our source. Seems I couldn't get out of the top 10 if I tried with those things.

Old 07-03-2013, 11:00 AM   #42
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
I'm sure you've been told bigger is better many times.....
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-2013, 11:02 AM   #43
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Here is a pic from our first creekstone case 2 years ago. This case accounted for 3 consecutive brisket wins. We had 4 overall that season in I think 9 contests. We haven't won brisket since. haha. These things were beautiful. I felt guilty taking the trophies.
I remember those days, they were great.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote