MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:47 AM   #1
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Default A (much) better London Broil

This was my 2nd attempt at a London broil. Seasoned with Dizzy Pig's "Raising The Steaks." Cooked indirect with low heat with the lid on until the internal temp reached ~100°F (with a chunk of oak for smoke), then removed the lid and moved it directly over the coals for a sear, flipping every minute or so.

It's such a lean cut of meat, there was no fat dripping down on the coals, so no grease fire (and associated flavors). Instead it was licked with flames from just the coals, which gives it a bit of char without any bitterness. When the internal temp hit 135°F I took it off and wrapped in foil to let it rest, then slice against the grain.

Dang good! Cheap cut of meat too, $8 for a pound and a half. Leftovers will go into tacos later this week.

Old 07-23-2018, 08:11 AM   #2
DRMSMKER
Full Fledged Farker

Yours looks great!
I did one last night also. I discovered that this one was much easer on the jaw to chewy than the last. The last one wasn't over cooked or anything but by nature this is a tough piece of meat. What helped this time is not only cutting against the grain like last time, I also cut much thinner slices and also at an angle instead of just straight down. Made it much more enjoyable and the wife agreed. Also made a side of dipping sauce that was a great addition.
DRMSMKER is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2018, 08:13 AM   #3
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Mechanical tenderizing can go a long ways with cuts of meat like a London broil.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2018, 08:45 AM   #4
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRMSMKER View Post
I also cut much thinner slices and also at an angle instead of just straight down. Made it much more enjoyable and the wife agreed.
I did the same thing for the same reason! The first one I cooked was chewy, and didn't taste good...buuut, I cooked it at my mother in law's house and all she had was Kingsford Matchlight briquettes, I let them ash over, but still didn't like the flavor. Lump for the win!!

Old 07-23-2018, 09:44 AM   #5
Steve S
is one Smokin' Farker

I have always had good luck marinating those the night before then giving them a good sear. Italian dressing works great.

Old 07-23-2018, 07:08 PM   #6
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonjax View Post
Mechanical tenderizing can go a long ways with cuts of meat like a London broil.
I'd be concerned about pushing surface bacteria into the center of the meat. Unless you're cooking to medium well, in which case it won't matter.
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-23-2018, 07:16 PM   #7
Monkey Uncle
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
I have always had good luck marinating those the night before then giving them a good sear. Italian dressing works great.
Yes, marinating is the key to tenderizing and bringing out the flavor in this cut. Something with vinegar and salt. I've also used Italian or Caesar dressing, but my favorite marinade is soy sauce, wine vinegar, oil, garlic...and maybe a couple other seasonings that I'm forgetting.

Also, it's important not to overcook it. I find that both flavor and tenderness are best at about 120 - 125 IT with a very brief rest (maybe 5 minutes).
Monkey Uncle is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2018, 12:41 AM   #8
Joe6Pack74
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : BrianZ

A standard Carne Asada marinade works well with this cut. Taco it or not.
Joe6Pack74 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #9
jasonjax
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkey Uncle View Post
I'd be concerned about pushing surface bacteria into the center of the meat. Unless you're cooking to medium well, in which case it won't matter.
If the jaccard is clean and the steaks fresh, the time span between jaccarding and cooking/service isn't long enough to allow significant contamination. The issue comes when there's time for the bacteria to multiply.

I've been employing the use of a jaccard for a very long time and never had an issue.
jasonjax is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-26-2018, 09:42 AM   #10
dgaddis1
Full Fledged Farker

We ate the rest of this the following night, chopped it up into small 1/8" thick pieces and put 'em in quesadillas. It was still great!

Old 07-26-2018, 10:19 AM   #11
Big George's BBQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : George

Looks very good to me
Mid Atlantic BBQ Association
KCBS
Back Porch BBQ Competition BBQ Team
Proud Member of the Zero Club

When all else fails ask yourself WWGALD
Big George's BBQ is online now   Reply With Quote