School me on the snake method in Kettle

mtime7

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Just got my first Weber Kettle, I have grilled on ones before but never smoked, want to break this one in with a brisket point tomorrow. Can I get some pointers on this, preferred methods using a kettle. What temps should I expect, what fuel should I use, do I need a water pan?
Thanks for help

3 briquets wide by 2 deep 3/4 of the way around lasts around 12 hours at 250-275 deg. Control the temps using the bottom vents, water pans just eat up fuel.

Briquettes are the way to go for snake. I always went with a 2x2 stack in the Weber, top vent wide open and start with the bottom vent at 1/3, then adjust as needed, but only make changes 20-45m apart so you don't chase. IIRC this will put you in the 250-270F range, but it's been a few years.

Never used a water pan for brisket, BUT if the meat is large enough that the charcoal will burn directly under the meat you'll want to rig up a foil shield or rotate the grate to protect the meat.

If you want to go a little hotter and faster, 3x2 stack will probably get you closer to 300-325F.

should I use an empty pan under the meat? Will it give me the foil shield I will need?

should I use an empty pan under the meat? Will it give me the foil shield I will need?
I always use a drip pan, if possible.
This is the setup I use for just about anything.
picture.php

The thickest portion of the meat paces the coals.

I just set up my snake for the morning, ran out of weber briquets before the end and got out some KBB to finish, the Weber briquets are like twice the size of KBB, so I may need pull the Weber coals and do it all in KBB, I don't want to have issues with too much heat.

sorry guys, trying to figure this out, but the Brisket point turned out to be 3/4 of Brisket trimmed, looks like the butcher hacked off about 6 inches of flat. It's now got a coat of Black Ops on it.

HjLLrXzl.jpg
[/IMG]

Last edited:
does anyone know why my direct link from imagur is so large? I haven't posted any pics since the whole photo bucket deal, I am new to imagur, but my past links never did that

I'd use whichever method posted that would allow the meat to fit and cook indirect for the whole cook. Both work. I tend to use the firebrick method, as it is easier to set up.

I'd use whichever method posted that would allow the meat to fit and cook indirect for the whole cook. Both work. I tend to use the firebrick method, as it is easier to set up.

I got no bricks, maybe one day

How much briquettes do you guys generally use for a 22.5 WSM using the snake method? For a steady 300F for 12 hours?

Back