MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 11-29-2011, 07:30 PM   #1
ericl23
Got Wood.

Default Rubber gloves

I recently purchased some rubber gloves online and noticed that they smell like petroleum or some type of oil based product. I tried soaking them in water with Dawn for a few days but they still smell. I don't want that smell to get on the food. Any idea how to get rid of that smell?

Thanks

Eric
ericl23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 07:35 PM   #2
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

Are these disposable gloves? Form your description, I'm guessing not.

If they are not, soak them in water and baking soda.

I use disposable nitrile gloves for most things requiring rubber gloves. But, they aren't very good for really hot meats.

Anyway, water and baking soda should help. It may take a few rounds, replacing the water and baking soda mixture.

Good luck?

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-29-2011, 07:37 PM   #3
Pappy
is Blowin Smoke!

What kind of gloves were they? Are gloves made for BBQ?

Old 11-29-2011, 07:39 PM   #4
ericl23
Got Wood.

Casey

They are the gloves made for handling hot food specifically pulled pork. I will try with baking soda.

Thanks

Eric

Old 11-30-2011, 12:50 PM   #5
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

If you have the same ones that I have the thick grey rubber gloves that were made for handling hot meat. Dawn dish soap worked well for me I have used them numerous times and havent had any issues with the meat tasing funny. Mine still have a faint scent to them but I think thats just the smell of the rubber and it wont completely go away.

Old 11-30-2011, 02:32 PM   #6
chicagokp
Babbling Farker

I have these...they work great.

http://www.simplymarvelousbbq.com/gloves
Weber Performer
22.5 Weber OTG
WGA Charcoal
Weber Genesis
chicagokp is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #7
kihrer
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Militant83 View Post
If you have the same ones that I have the thick grey rubber gloves that were made for handling hot meat. Dawn dish soap worked well for me I have used them numerous times and havent had any issues with the meat tasing funny. Mine still have a faint scent to them but I think thats just the smell of the rubber and it wont completely go away.
I have these too but they aren't so good for fine motor skills. I have seen some guys use cotton gloves with surgical gloves on top of them. I haven't tried it cause the box of Nitrix gloves (Walmart) I use barely fit over my hand as it is and they say large/xtra large. I definitely need to find a better food handling glove.

12ft competition trailer
Jambo 48 "Bo Diddley"
heavily modified SnP "Chickenator"
[COLOR=Red]Red[COLOR=Black] and [COLOR=Blue]Blue[COLOR=Black] Super fast [/COLOR][/COLOR]Thermapens[/COLOR][/COLOR]
[/COLOR][/COLOR]
kihrer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 03:50 PM   #8
Militant83
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by kihrer View Post
I have these too but they aren't so good for fine motor skills. I have seen some guys use cotton gloves with surgical gloves on top of them. I haven't tried it cause the box of Nitrix gloves (Walmart) I use barely fit over my hand as it is and they say large/xtra large. I definitely need to find a better food handling glove.
Yeah the dextarity deffinitely sucks in them.. But it beat scaulding my hands when I was pulling pork.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
Hoosier1960
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Harold

I found the masons rubber gloves work great. I first started using them witha pair of brown jersey gloves inside for picking up duck decoys in cold weather. They stay very pliable, have a textured nonslip surface, and are large enough for even the biggest hands. I recently tried a pair for pulling pork and they worked great. Brown jersey gloves inside again for extra insulation from the heat. I think they were less than 10 bucks.
Weber Silver Gasser, UDS, Weber 18.5" Silver, Weber Redhead Stainless Performer, Blue Weber 22.5 Gold, 18.5" WSM, Mini UDS, Oklahoma Joe Bandera, Pit Boss Coppertop Vertical Pellet Smoker, Pit Boss Pro 1100, Thermopen so fast it has flames :-D
Hoosier1960 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-30-2011, 08:08 PM   #10
Wampus
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokp View Post

I have TWO pair of those very gloves. Those things are farkin AWESOME!
I don't even bother with my bear paws anymore. Just use those gloves. Also use them for flipping/moving meats around on the smoker!

Old 11-30-2011, 08:30 PM   #11
Coldholler
Full Fledged Farker

Totally getting those. Dishwashing gloves for pulling pork rock.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:07 PM   #12
HB-BBQ
is Blowin Smoke!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagokp View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wampus View Post
I have TWO pair of those very gloves. Those things are farkin AWESOME!
I don't even bother with my bear paws anymore. Just use those gloves. Also use them for flipping/moving meats around on the smoker!
I have a few pairs of these myself and use them the same way, they are quite versatile. Great place to get em from too!

Eric I've run across that smell on many PVC different gloves I have seen over the years. I wouldn't worry about it much as long as they are food grade and you wash them a few times.
HB-BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 09:04 AM   #13
ericl23
Got Wood.

thanks for the input everyone. I am going to try the gloves out this weekend. I'll post an update.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:56 PM   #14
Frankbbq
Knows what a fatty is.

WW Grainger sells a hot/cold glove that works for pulling pork and breaking down whole hogs. They are neoprene and used to say USDA approved. They are insulated.
Frankbbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-01-2011, 11:03 PM   #15
DVBBQ
Got Wood.

I second the neoprene. Just clean em right after use.
DVBBQ is offline   Reply With Quote