From a Rec Tec to a Backwoods Competitor

chefman316

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
My buddy and I are fixing up a used Backwoods Competitor we picked up. It has an auto water system, convection fan, and a 'hide setter' (which I am not familiar with)...

Any tips or recommendations on how I should adjust my cookers going from a Rec Tec pellet smoker to this Backwoods? Also, we compete in KCBS events...do I need to use this 'hide setter' for any reason?

\m/

Is this the unit that you bought from bones? From his classified from July the outside needed some work, but had some great potential. How was the inside of the unit in comparison to the outside? Good luck with your project.

Is this the unit that you bought from bones? From his classified from July the outside needed some work, but had some great potential. How was the inside of the unit in comparison to the outside? Good luck with your project.

Well we picked it up from a gentleman named Chris (not sure if he goes by bones)

My comp. partner Steve is doing the work on it, and he has sandblasted, and primed the outside, as well as did some work to the inside. Here is where we are at now:
picture.php
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

In my experience and from what I've heard from others, food cooks a little quicker in a Backwoods than some other smokers. Backwoods work really well with a temp controller. Congrats on your new cooker.

Back