MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-02-2013, 07:28 AM   #16
Lake Dogs
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Hance

Many of the (older) books that try to provide technique help fail IMHO. Way back in "the day" before there was a WWW you either learned from a pit master or you read a book. Most of the older books (I'll not mention names, because some of them are very highly rated) stress low and slow, and I mean 220 or under if you can. I dont know why it didnt hit me that if good pulled pork need to get to 195-208+-, how hard is it going to be to get that meat there when cooking at 215 degrees? Let me tell you, it's almost impossible. They are misleading, at best. Also, many fail miserably when talking about temps because most of us assume we're talking about the temperature read on the external mounted thermometer. I dont know of any that actually stress the temperature is and always should be measured on the cooking surface. I found out that as a result some of my early smoking was actually trying to smoke butts at 185 degrees. That IS impossible to get the meat to 205.

:-)

Welcome to BBQ Brethren.
Was Lang 84DX, now Bubba Grills 250R and many Weber grills
Lake Dogs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 07:31 AM   #17
K-Train
is One Chatty Farker

Legends of Texas BBQ by Walsh is awesome. As is Wicked Good BBQ
WSM 22.5
GMG Davy Crockett
K-Train is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 07:36 AM   #18
Texas Turtle
Take a breath!

Myron's book is detailed enough to allow a novice to emulate his basic techniques before moving on to what works best for them on an individual basis. The one thing missing from most beginners' arsenal is the same cooker that the author uses. Give me a JOS like Myron uses and I bet I could come a lot closer to matching his results (not as far as winning contests, but taste/texture stuff). In dealing with anything MM, you have to be aware that you are dealing with a persona he has created to enhance the "winningest man in BBQ" mystique.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:18 PM   #19
bksmoke
Got rid of the matchlight.

thank you all, very informative
bksmoke is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 12:27 PM   #20
swinn
Full Fledged Farker

I have a few books that I started out with. Smoke and Spice being most notable, but once I found this place, I have very rarely cracked a book open for anything other than nostalgia and to verify a recipe.

Old 05-02-2013, 01:36 PM   #21
beteez
Got Wood.

Smoke & Spice, a great place to start. Then BBQ 25 & Serious BQ by APL.
beteez is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 02:03 PM   #22
deguerre
somebody shut me the fark up.

This is not BBQ per se, but is a VERY helpful book for making meats that can become BBQ...

Charcuterie: The Craft of Salting, Smoking, and Curing by
Michael Ruhlman

[/B][/FONT]"...In nature, there are predators. I believe the common denominator of the universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder..." Werner Herzog
deguerre is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-02-2013, 10:03 PM   #23
robbq
is one Smokin' Farker

This isn't exactly a smoking book, but one of my favorites is Steven Raichlen's "How to Grill"

. It has some smoking recipes and info, but most of the recipes are for grilling. Everything I have made from it has been amazing.
LBGE, WSM 18.5, Smokin-It Model #1, Napoleon Prestige Gas Grill, MHP Grill, [COLOR="purple"]Purple[/COLOR] and [COLOR="red"]Red[/COLOR] Thermapens
robbq is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 05:08 PM   #24
Grilling with Rich
Got rid of the matchlight.

This is a great page that has a lot of great book reviews from Grilling with Rich: http://www.grillingwithrich.com/cate...ing-cook-books
Grilling with Rich is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 05:25 PM   #25
NorthernMN
On the road to being a farker

I have found some of the books by big name people that supposedly reveal their secrets are always missing a little bit that you have to figure out yourself.
NorthernMN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #26
caseydog
somebody shut me the fark up.

So far, my favorite is Dr. BBQ's Big Time Barbecue Cookbook.

Not BBQ, but closely related is Charcuterie by Michael Ruhlman.

CD
caseydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-03-2013, 06:17 PM   #27
joshcary
Full Fledged Farker

I have two "barbecue" cookbooks on the bookshelf in my office that I refer to often. Both of them have been suggested in this thread...

Adam Perry Lang's Serious Barbecue
Andy Husband and Chris Hart's Wicked Good Barbecue

I should note that I own almost every barbecue book that is available (meaning in print now, and not self-published), and we have just about every book suggested here for sale in our store, but these are the two I love. Adam Perry Lang has a newer book called Charred and Scruffed that I really like as well.
joshcary is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 05-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #28
RW
Full Fledged Farker

I'm in middle of reading "BBQ Crossroads," Robb Walsh's new book in which he and a photographer take a road trip across the South and visit barbecue joints. You get recipes and barbecue oral history together in a travelogue. And they are picky about their barbecue stops. They eat only at places that do barbecue in wood-fired pits.
Great story-telling and wonderful pictures.
Be warned, however, that Walsh is no fan of competition barbecue.
Weber Performer / 18.5 WSM / mini WSM / Primo XL / #14 Old Smokey / Weber Jumbo Joe
RW is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #29
jonmhenderson
Full Fledged Farker

Willingham's book is good
jonmhenderson is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-04-2013, 11:32 AM   #30
williamj
Full Fledged Farker

+1 for Big Bob Gibson's and Smoke and Spice. You won't be disappointed with either one.
williamj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, smoke