MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 07-15-2013, 11:23 PM   #16
Happy Hapgood
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Mike

As a back yard BBQ guy and using temps to make my living, I'm all over the fire control gig. All everyone is trying to do is to maintain a constant temp for the best possible product. When it goes wrong, how quickly can it be corrected? Neat stuff!
Wife LuzziAnn 1956 model.
Ink Bird IBBQ 4T Wi-Fi Temp Monitor, Superfast LSU Purple Thermapen & ThermaPop, Party Q
Ink Bird Sous Vide, HF Flame Thower

My Motto these days is "Low Stress, Low Drag".

The Artist Formally Known as Toast

Happy Hapgood is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 11:30 PM   #17
TailGateJoecom
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by marubozo View Post
The cooker doesn't matter. It's all about how much brown sugar, honey, butter, and other crap you can pack into the foil pouch while it steams to perfection.

Bwahahahaha, so true.
[B][COLOR=Green][URL="http://www.tailgatejoe.com"]TailgateJoe.com[/URL] -- the #1 NY Jets gameday fanclub/tailgate party[/COLOR][/B]
[B]Fast Eddy's Cookshack:[/B] Dual FEC120s
[B]Meadow Creek:[/B] BBQ42
[B]Weber:[/B] Ranch Kettle, 22.5 WSM, OTG 22.5
[B]Pit Barrel Cooker[/B]
[B]Crown Verity gassers:[/B] 4 MCBs from 36-72 inch
[B]Instagram/[/B][B][B]Twitter[/B]/Facebook: [/B]@tailgatejoe
[B]Youtube: @tailgatejoedotcom[/B]
TailGateJoecom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-15-2013, 11:54 PM   #18
oldbill
is Blowin Smoke!

Well I know that I'll probably get some hate mail for this post but here goes nothin'! I remember one episode last year with Bubba Q from Georgia was competing with a brand new gravity fed cooker and when he discovered that he had forgotten to bring his Guru he panicked because without it he had no way to get his pit up to temp.. Finally his teammate, (and wife) had the idea of putting coals directly in the insulated cabinet with the meat. Well not only did her idea save the day, but they actually won the competition! I guess on that day we found out who the pitmaster is in that family! I always thought that it would be cool if there were a different circuit that allowed only old school stick burners, no insulated smokers, Eggs, or any other "set it and forget it" cookers and no Gurus or Stokers. Also there would be no Waygu meats and no commercial injections. I think that we would get to see some true "pit masters" get an even playing field to show what they're really made of. It also wouldn't be about the sauce or glaze on the meat or the amount of parsley that is meticulously stuffed into a Styrofoam box but the quality of the MEAT itself! Let's see the teams take a choice brisket and turn it into a finished product that would make a prime rib pale in comparison. It's been many years since I went to a competition and it looks to me like it's gotten away from being about the BBQ and instead it's become about the gimmicks, gadgets and show! I watch guys on Pitmasters injecting a Waygu brisket with stuff that changes the very structure of the meat into something that it was never intended to be and I'm reminded of Lance Armstrong shooting up before the big race and getting an unfair advantage over the other competitors, which brings me to one more observation. There are a lot of amazing BBQ cooks I've known who will never stand a chance of competing today because they don't have an insulated cooker controlled with a Guru to cook a juiced up Waygu brisket! I think that we just need to get back to what Q is all about and that is a pit master taking a tough, fatty piece of meat that would otherwise be ground into hamburger or sausage and making something succulent and delicious out of it.

Old 07-16-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
nucornhusker
Babbling Farker

Hate mail? Oldbill you may be my new best friend. I couldn't agree more and would love to see something like that in competition.

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-16-2013, 12:21 AM   #20
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Rick

oldbill I was thinking pretty much the same thing, well said.

Old 07-16-2013, 02:57 AM   #21
plush2426
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Well said oldbill :) couldn't agree more!!! and BTW whats next, automatic rub and sauce makers to go with automatic cookers?

Old 07-16-2013, 03:03 AM   #22
plush2426
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Barbecue (also barbeque, BBQ and barbie) is a method and apparatus for char grilling food in the hot smoke of a wood fire, usually charcoal fueled. In the United States, to grill is to cook in this manner quickly, while barbecue is typically a much slower method utilizing less heat than grilling, attended to over an extended period of several hours.

Does propane and wood pellets fit the defitintion of Q......

Old 07-16-2013, 03:14 AM   #23
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

[quote=plush2426;2553242]Barbecue (also barbeque, BBQ and barbie) is a method and apparatus for char grilling food in the hot smoke of a wood fire, usually charcoal fueled. In the United States, to grill is to cook in this manner quickly, while barbecue is typically a much slower method utilizing less heat than grilling, attended to over an extended period of several hours.

Nevermind

Old 07-16-2013, 03:20 AM   #24
Callahan-que
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by plush2426 View Post
Barbecue (also barbeque, BBQ and barbie) is a method and apparatus for char grilling food in the hot smoke of a wood fire, usually charcoal fueled. In the United States, to grill is to cook in this manner quickly, while barbecue is typically a much slower method utilizing less heat than grilling, attended to over an extended period of several hours.

Does propane and wood pellets fit the defitintion of Q......
According to the definition you posted I would have to say yes.

Old 07-16-2013, 05:37 AM   #25
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

I have a Jambo and Backwoods and while they are completely different concepts in making BBQ, it still comes down to fire management in producing good results. They both require proper control just done in different ways. Both have there good points and bad points. It takes more skill with a stick burner, but in a different way. Mastering good BBQ on a stick burner is an art. Mastering good BBQ on a "set and forget" cooker is more of a science.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-16-2013, 06:56 AM   #26
Georgiaboy98
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Scott

I'm with you Oldbill I think comps should be done simpler! leave the other hi-tech stuff for the backyard guys!(like me) I use electric but I'm not competing!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:01 AM   #27
5string
is one Smokin' Farker

It's kind of like using a GPS vs knowing how to read a map or just read the road signs. Both will get you there but when the electronics fail or send you in the wrong direction (like ALL GPSs will do) you need to know how to navigate. Fire management is a basic skill that is absolutely necessary to cook consistantly. Electronics are a helpful tool but I don't rely on them to do my job for me.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:06 AM   #28
loco_engr
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheapbeer View Post
why dont you find an old woodburning oven and tell her that you will be getting rid of the modern kitchen stove so she can cook on the same level that great grandmothers did............

. . . and then the fight started!

Old 07-16-2013, 07:37 AM   #29
dwfisk
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Dave

I like oldbill's ideas 'cause that's the way I cook and the way I like BBQ to taste but I don't mind any of the hardware or gadgets somebody uses to cook with. In the end it's how good the BBQ tastes and that's a very subjective thing. Personally, I like my uninsulated RF stickburner, but I've had some pretty darn good BBQ (by my definition of good) from a pretty wide range of pits. I like oldbill's notion of comps showing off old school styles and would take it a step further: go back to "regular" meat products. For example if you are gonna have chicken in a comp; make it a bone-in whole or 1/2 bird cook. But hey, that's just my $0.02.

Old 07-16-2013, 07:45 AM   #30
kevinc
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Rod View Post
Couldn't agree more. I guess nowadays drama sells, but I ain't buyin'.
I would have agreed with you in Season 2 (where Myron, Art Smith and Warren Sap were "judges") but in the seasons past that, they've really reduce the amount "drama" in the series.

Its completely up to the three cooks to win on their own merits without any added drama (apart from strategic commercial breaks :))
kevinc is offline   Reply With Quote