MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:44 PM   #1
kc27
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Ken
Default Any Tips for Using Rubs With Chicken Wings?

What is the best way to maximize flavor when using a rub when grilling chicken wings? Also, is length of time the rub is on the wings before grilling a factor?

I am using Memphis Style BBQ Rub by Nutmeg Spice Company. It lists demerara sugar, sea salt, dehydrated onion and garlic, mustard, molasses powder, paprika, vinegar powder, and hickory smoke flavor as its ingredients if that matters.
kc27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2021, 05:47 PM   #2
ShadowDriver
somebody shut me the fark up.

Name/Nickname : Marc

I've done anywhere from night before to 30-45 minutes before cooking.

I like something over about an hour or so...

Big fan of tossing bird in a ziptop bag and pouring in the rub. Toss/massage to coat. Into the fridge until about 30 min before I cook, when I give it another good toss/massage as I take it out to the grill. That's just me.

Old 01-23-2021, 05:58 PM   #3
WilliamKY
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : William

I put my wings in a large disposable pan and cover them with rub. Those big foil hotel pans are great for keeping down any mess. I let them hang out and sweat a bit while the grill heats up. It's always worked great.
Weber 26
WGA
Old Smokey Electric.
Go Cards!
WilliamKY is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 01-23-2021, 07:02 PM   #4
crboggs
On the road to being a farker

Name/Nickname : Chris

I just smoked wings for the first time tonight on the Yoder...

45 min at 190 and then flipped them and finished for 30 min at 350.

The wings match up in order with the rubs below...olive oil binder on the lemon garlic, no binder on the John' Henry's, and Lillie's gold mustard BBQ sauce with the Holy Gospel. They were all outstanding...

crboggs is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2021, 07:06 PM   #5
gtsum
Babbling Farker

I like wings wet, except when using oak ridge HDD, so sp only for me until done, then toss with wet sauce to your liking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
gtsum is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-23-2021, 07:11 PM   #6
thirdeye

Quote:
Originally Posted by kc27 View Post
What is the best way to maximize flavor when using a rub when grilling chicken wings? Also, is length of time the rub is on the wings before grilling a factor?

I am using Memphis Style BBQ Rub by Nutmeg Spice Company. It lists demerara sugar, sea salt, dehydrated onion and garlic, mustard, molasses powder, paprika, vinegar powder, and hickory smoke flavor as its ingredients if that matters.
My secret is mostly in the prep. I remove all the little tags of skin and meat that will burn anyways. I take off the little 'blister' of fat on the drumette piece, and I poke holes all over the skin/meat area with my 3-tine sausage pricker. Now any marinades can go deeper, and the fats in the skin bubble to the top and help with crispness. Making lollipops is also something to consider down the line.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Thanks from: --->
Old 01-25-2021, 07:25 AM   #7
LordRiffenstein
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Yoeri

Some of my best wings were done with Kosmos Wing Dust which you put on AFTER cooking the wings. The Chili Lime version is amazing and it´s so easy. Just smoke/grill them until they are done, toss in a bowl and add some wing dust. Shake them around until all have some dust on them and EAT.

Old 01-25-2021, 12:01 PM   #8
TBoneMac

Name/Nickname : Mac

I sprinkle liberally with Plowboy's Yardbird. Doesn't seem to matter much if I do that 3 hours before the cook, or just before the cook.
TBoneMac is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-25-2021, 08:18 PM   #9
Big Andy
Take a breath!

We did a backyard test a few years ago with several rubs and sauces. The overwhelming favorite was Cavender's Greek Seasoning, with rub only, and also with sauce.
Big Andy is online now   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-25-2021, 10:36 PM   #10
Titch

Name/Nickname : Titch :-)

We just use salt usually

Old 01-25-2021, 10:41 PM   #11
drunkenmeatfist
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Sammy

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordRiffenstein View Post
Some of my best wings were done with Kosmos Wing Dust which you put on AFTER cooking the wings. The Chili Lime version is amazing and it´s so easy. Just smoke/grill them until they are done, toss in a bowl and add some wing dust. Shake them around until all have some dust on them and EAT.
I have found that seasoning after cooking provides my best results. Throw those boogers in a big bowl and start flopping them around
drunkenmeatfist is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2021, 12:41 PM   #12
thirdeye

One of my cookin' buddies ordered two flavors of Kosmo's Wing Dust. It's added after cooking too. He's dropping off some samples to me of the Garlic Parm and the Cajun. Can't wait to check it out.

Barbecuist ~ Charcuterist ~ KCBS Master Judge & CTC
Big Green Eggs, Big Drum Smokers, Big Chiefs, Weber Smokey Joe "Custom Tall Boy"
Oil Patch Horizontal, SnS Deluxe Kettle

Visit my Cookin' Site by clicking HERE
Barbecue is not rocket surgery
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it's hard to verify their authenticity” ~ Abraham Lincoln
thirdeye is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 01-26-2021, 01:31 PM   #13
JeffinNE

Name/Nickname : Jeff

I like to marinate overnight in 2 gallon freezer bag with Italian salad dressing, Franks Red Hot and some soy sauce. Take out a couple hours before and drain off excess then dust liberally with Plowboys Yardbird--that stuff is awesome on chicken!

Some in my family likes off the smoker just like that...my oldest boy and myself like to put in a bowl of melted butter and some mild wing sauce or more Frank's after taking off the smoker.

Have used Louisiana mild wing sauce and Frank's Red Hot after and both are good. Have some Texas Pete's mild wing sauce for next time. Anyone have favorites for mild wing sauce? My forehead sweats with mild sauce so I don't dare go hotter!!
JeffinNE is offline   Reply With Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-26-2021, 05:22 PM   #14
topazann
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Name/Nickname : Anna

One of my favorite dry rubs for wings is a Jamaican Jerk Style rub.

This rub consists of Jamaican Allspice, Thyme, garlic powder, salt, pepper, dried chili powder (I prefer Chipolte chili powder, to give it a bit of a smokey taste) brown sugar, and a touch of cinnamon and ground cloves.
topazann is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-26-2021, 05:49 PM   #15
kc27
Found some matches.

Name/Nickname : Ken

Thanks for all the ideas and products to try.

For those of you that use rubs, are you drizzling the wings with olive oil or something similar before you add the rub? I usually do not oil the wings before applying the rub, but this last batch seemed to be light on flavoring, and this was after I massaged the rub into the wings using a Ziplock bag as ShadowDriver suggested. The flavor was there, but it was muted. I wonder if a coating of oil would give the rub more "grip" on the wings.
kc27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chicken wings, flavor, Grill, rub