Favorite way to cook beef spare ribs?

Not familiar with those terms together? Spare ribs are pork to me. Beef ribs are back ribs, shorts ribs, or plate ribs. I maybe wrong, but those are the terms as I've heard the most. What exactly are you cooking?

Not familiar with those terms together? Spare ribs are pork to me. Beef ribs are back ribs, shorts ribs, or plate ribs. I maybe wrong, but those are the terms as I've heard the most. What exactly are you cooking?

Beef spareribs here are called short ribs.

Whats your favorite way to cook beef spare ribs?

If they are the thin beef ribs you get at Walmart or Kroger I smoke them low and slow for an hour or two then throw them in a pot to make beef broth with.If they are short ribs or plate ribs I cook them low and slow until they are probe tender,then cook another hour or more to render the grease.I usually cook plate ribs for 8 hours @ 250-300 pit temp,sometimes 10 hours,they can be greasy if not cooked long enough..Just my experience.

Plate ribs...indirect with hickory.
Back ribs...grilled, rarely do them.

-D

I've never cooked something with this label, hence my question to the forum when my wife brought them home from the grocery store.

I'll post a picture later and describe what I did with them.

Beef Back Ribs. I rarely buy them, except my butcher has them occasionally when he does certain other cuts. His have a fair amount of meat on them. I still smoke them low and slow with salt and pepper or a brisket rub and they are tasty. I guess some grill them, I haven't tried that yet

You can smoke them just as you would pork spare ribs. I prefer salt pepper, onion, and garlic. Or, just use your favorite beef/steak seasoning. They’re tasty! Also great with a light sear on the grill after smoking.

Beef back ribs (inaccurately labeled spareribs for some reason; thanks, friends!) are on the Outlaw at 225°F rubbed with SPG.

Curious about how long the cook will go.

It wasn't labeled inaccurately, it's what they're called in Idaho. This isn't the Culinary Mecca of anything. I've only passed through Meridian. If it's similar ta here go in ta yer local and inquire fer a hanger steak and then...settle in fer the upcoming stare down.

-D

It wasn't labeled inaccurately, it's what they're called in Idaho. This isn't the Culinary Mecca of anything. I've only passed through Meridian. If it's similar ta here go in ta yer local and inquire fer a hanger steak and then...settle in fer the upcoming stare down.

-D

Are you native to Idaho? Any other labels I should learn up here?

I moved here from South Dakota by way of Georgia after growing up in Texas and living a while in L.A. and Seattle. Quite the story. You?

I'm not sure I'm going to do this again. Two hours in the smoke followed by a quick sear in the oven. Not much meat for that much trouble.

Edit: My wife and I just gnawed on a couple of these ribs and they were very tasty. Too bad there's not much there.

Last edited:
Are you native to Idaho? Any other labels I should learn up here?

I moved here from South Dakota by way of Georgia after growing up in Texas and living a while in L.A. and Seattle. Quite the story. You?

Not a native.
I found it's just best ta describe the cut ya wish with as many labels as ya can. However if memory serves...Snake River Farms is in Caldwell, Idaho. If the prices aren't a deterrent, phaps ya may find it a pleasant alternative...SRF is well regarded here on the forum and the membership shares any deals, coupons, and things of that nature quite regularly.

I would wish ya luck in yer BBQ endeavors, but ya have already joined the prime event horizon fer anything BBQ related. And this group will be as helpful as ya allow.

Cheers!

-D

I'm not sure I'm going to do this again. Two hours in the smoke followed by a quick sear in the oven. Not much meat for that much trouble.

Edit: My wife and I just gnawed on a couple of these ribs and they were very tasty. Too bad there's not much there.

And those look as good as any back rib I've seen. The problem is, as ya said...too much fer too little.
Proper cook though..

-D

Back