MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 06-27-2019, 12:24 PM   #46
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
No bashing on my part, thats not my nature. However disagreeing is something i do alot. But using salt as the discussion point, I would hope and assume you wouldnt go into a judging tent with the mindset that you know a box is going to be salty so you are going to mark down right away. However when you taste it if it is to salty in your opinion then absolutely you should mark down, and i hope let your reason be known on a comment card. However lets talk chicken, lets say you really want legs and go into tent with mindset that any box that does not have legs you will mark down, that is where my issue lies. As long as at least 6 pieces of chicken are turned in thats what should be judged by. Not adding to rules but going by rules. Now lets say those 6 NON legs look like balls of chicken nuggets then by all means if your opinion is that does not look appetizing then yes mark down but dont add to a rule. i used chicken as an example but pretty much any and all the meats can be used like that. Brisket fat one way or other or burnt ends etc etc, pork maybe you only want sliced, maybe you only want pulled etc, ribs maybe you only want baby backs and have it in your mind you will mark down if it isnt baby backs etc.

All I ask as a cook is you follow the NON subjective rules set for judges. Dont have in your mind that it has to be a certain way. All judges have certain ways they like things, absolutely I am not naive enough to think it doesnt happen, who turns in boxes without garnish? What as a cook I ask is to fairly judge what i turn in following the rules set in place, dont add to or take away from rules based on your preference. Judge my box on its own merits.
I don’t judge, I’m a cook.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 01:53 PM   #47
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

+1 regards only putting your best in the box. There is only downside to putting too much in the box, so if you put slices in only put in the best 6, not the 8 you have.

There are no judging points available for "quantity."
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-27-2019, 05:05 PM   #48
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pappy Q View Post
For those that never turn in burnt ends...do you even cook the point at the comp or just leave it at home? Do you just buy flats or still buy packers?
I buy the packer and cook it together. I use to turn in BE's, but my scores got more consistent when I started leaving them out.
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote