MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Competition BBQ

Notices

Competition BBQ *On Topic Only* Discussion regarding all aspects of Competition BBQ. Experiences competing or visiting, questions, getting started, Equipment, announcements of events, Results, Reviews, Planning, etc. Questions here will be responded to with competition BBQ in mind.

Old 07-08-2018, 08:47 AM   #16
ynotfehc
Full Fledged Farker

A 1 oz bite is a really big bite. Consider most thighs are 5-6oz raw, with a bone, after cooked theres probably only 3-4oz of meat left. You aren't finishing a thigh in 4 bites, unless it's a big bite. Nobody is asking you to stuff your mouth to capacity. On a rib you should bite from the side to the bone, that is not 1 oz of meat unless people are doing Cadillac cuts which I dont know anyone that does.
Most restaurants serve up 8-10oz protein, 6oz starch and 4oz veg, 18-20oz of food. side salad, cup of soup, dessert, and now you're at 24oz of food easily. But I am pretty confident you've taken way more than 24 bites of food asked of you during judging.
ynotfehc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 10:10 AM   #17
Cook
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Jay

As a non-competitor...I would say that the judges only need to know what's sitting on the table in front of them. They don't need to know anything else...other than the rules & criteria for judging of course.

Thanks from: --->
Old 07-08-2018, 10:34 AM   #18
djqualls
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
For this newbie judge with cooler, the issue is not the cooler it is internal capacity. If I eat an ounce from each sample, I will have eaten 1 1/2# by the end of the judging. For me that makes for a very uncomfortable ride home!
No one requires you to make a happy plate.

Do you take home the samples you score a 7 or below and mix it with the samples you scored 8 & 9 with? How can that poorly scored food be any enjoyment for later consumption?

Do you cut away the area you spread your bacteria on to at least try to keep the sample sanitary?

If Not, Do you share this bounty from judging with others?

Its bad enough that the meat has gone from the smoker to a half dozen questionable unsanitary contact surfaces before it was picked out of a box on chemical laden produce then placed on a printed cardboard paper with no foodsafe certifications and who knows what type of ink it was printed and whose ball scratchers handled that "Judging Plate" at the many points from printer to judging table.

Go ahead and bag it up and let it incubate at 41+ degrees. I don't care if you have a baggie of ice. The bacteria has already bloomed right after you sampled it.

Honestly you are there to judge and not forage.

Even we as cooks throw away the remaining piece after we've sampled our own food in preparation to send you our best. We don't pile in in with the rest of the product and we have a better custody of the safety chain that you could ever have from contest food.

Jeez................

Last edited by djqualls; 07-08-2018 at 10:54 AM..
djqualls is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 04:43 PM   #19
Rusty Kettle
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Hey you with the face!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls View Post
Even we as cooks throw away the remaining piece after we've sampled our own food in preparation to send you our best. We don't pile in in with the rest of the product and we have a better custody of the safety chain that you could ever have from contest food.

Jeez................
Wait a minute...I am not supposed to put the piece I took a bite out of in the box? Opps
Rusty Kettle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-08-2018, 05:19 PM   #20
airedale
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by djqualls View Post
Quite a silly rant, actually.

Too bad. I had some hope that I'd learn some things from this thread. But if the "Thanks" button love consensus is for silly rants, then I guess I'll just move along.
airedale is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->
Old 07-08-2018, 05:31 PM   #21
Jason TQ
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by airedale View Post
Quite a silly rant, actually.

Too bad. I had some hope that I'd learn some things from this thread. But if the "Thanks" button love consensus is for silly rants, then I guess I'll just move along.
Don’t forget your cooler

Old 07-09-2018, 09:56 AM   #22
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDeuce View Post
We have a Master CBJ here in Ohio that trades bourbon (quality stuff too!) for BBQ teams' leftovers. We've traded with him several times.

Basically at every comp he's judging he picks 1-2 teams, messages them ahead of time, "You in for the trade?" "Yep!" "Cool!"

You want to see a judge who has a great relationship with cook teams...because that's one!
I need to attend that contest and that judge needs my name 😜

Old 07-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #23
timzcardz
Babbling Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Kettle View Post
Wait a minute...I am not supposed to put the piece I took a bite out of in the box? Opps
Of course you are!

That's the only certain way you can be sure that your are submitting your best six pieces to the judges, and they should appreciate your commitment to them.
Weber Genesis Silver x 2
Weber One Touch Gold
Weber Performer x 2
Weber Smokey Joe
Bottle of Absolut
Bottle of Beer
Everything Ripken, "Cards and Que. One tastes of cardboard, the other sweet blue." ©
timzcardz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-09-2018, 01:25 PM   #24
Blanton
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by timzcardz View Post
Of course you are!

That's the only certain way you can be sure that your are submitting your best six pieces to the judges, and they should appreciate your commitment to them.
Would love to be a fly in that tent to see!

Old 07-10-2018, 07:33 AM   #25
ModelMaker
Quintessential Chatty Farker

OK I ignored the bait for three days now, pretty good for me eh?

Blah,blah,blah, look at all my stuff, look how much I spend, see how much I spend on classes. Why don't I always win GC at every contest?

Must be the stupid judges that have coolers...maybe your "average" food got scored as a 6.
Ed
Extremely seasoned hand hammered Wok
Pit Boss-HART BURN Competition BBQ Team
KCBS certified judge

And Your not the boss of me either!!
ModelMaker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #26
Burnt at Both Endz
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Calvin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post

Blah,blah,blah, look at all my stuff, look how much I spend, see how much I spend on classes. Why don't I always win GC at every contest?

Must be the stupid judges that have coolers...maybe your "average" food got scored as a 6.
Ed
Been a long time since I've had a 6 or below. the last I can think of was when I won brisket in Kearny NE, the throw away score was 855, glad I wasn't tied with another cook.....right?
Burnt at Both Endz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 01:19 PM   #27
Candy Sue
is one Smokin' Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnt at Both Endz View Post
Been a long time since I've had a 6 or below. the last I can think of was when I won brisket in Kearny NE, the throw away score was 855, glad I wasn't tied with another cook.....right?
This comment may not bring great results your next contest -- but I hope it doesn't bite you!
Candy Sue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 05:03 PM   #28
Pappy Q
is One Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModelMaker View Post

Ed
If this is directed at my OP, I never said anything about “average” food, not winning a GC every time or 6 scores. Any score that I recieve is a result of my action and I take responsibility for it. I never blamed or credited any judging for my results.

My comments were to make a point just as your Blah, blah blah was to make a point. I assume your point was that you could care less about my point. Fair enough.

I dislike judges bringing coolers. That’s my personal opinion for multiple reasons. Again, you could care less about my opinion, fair enough.
Pappy Q is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 08:42 PM   #29
Bacchus2b
is One Chatty Farker

I eat enough BBQ that I don't need to take home someone else's product, but why do you care if some judges do? Judges don't get paid for judging nor do they have any opportunity of winning prize money, so why begrudge them the opportunity to take home some meat that would otherwise be thrown away?
Cookshack FEC-100
Weber Summit 420 Gasser
Pit Barrel Cooker
Weber 26" Kettle
PK Classic Grill
Bacchus2b is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-10-2018, 11:34 PM   #30
Jorge
somebody shut me the fark up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus2b View Post
I eat enough BBQ that I don't need to take home someone else's product, but why do you care if some judges do? Judges don't get paid for judging nor do they have any opportunity of winning prize money, so why begrudge them the opportunity to take home some meat that would otherwise be thrown away?
Over the years there are ample examples of judges that will nibble to maximize their haul. Are they the norm? No! I'm sure that there are, and have been, plenty of judges with coolers that take a healthy bite, or two, or even three if needed. It's the nibblers that have made it an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gettinbasted View Post
I personally would like to see organizers take my leftovers that I didn’t turn in to distribute to the judges after the contest and have the samples I turn in be for judging purposes only.

I’d be more than happy to load judges up for their time and effort.
If the organizers don't disclose which food came from which team I don't think there is a better solution.

Keeping Valspar in BBQ, one cook at a time.

Recipient of a Huggies box!

Shut up, and cook!!!!
Jorge is offline   Reply With Quote