• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Judges Need To Know...

We have a Master CBJ here in Ohio that trades bourbon (quality stuff too!) for BBQ teams' leftovers. We've traded with him several times.

Basically at every comp he's judging he picks 1-2 teams, messages them ahead of time, "You in for the trade?" "Yep!" "Cool!"

You want to see a judge who has a great relationship with cook teams...because that's one!

I need to attend that contest and that judge needs my name 😜

Wait a minute...I am not supposed to put the piece I took a bite out of in the box? Opps :oops:

Of course you are!

That's the only certain way you can be sure that your are submitting your best six pieces to the judges, and they should appreciate your commitment to them.

OK I ignored the bait for three days now, pretty good for me eh?

Blah,blah,blah, look at all my stuff, look how much I spend, see how much I spend on classes. Why don't I always win GC at every contest?

Must be the stupid judges that have coolers...maybe your "average" food got scored as a 6.
Ed

Blah,blah,blah, look at all my stuff, look how much I spend, see how much I spend on classes. Why don't I always win GC at every contest?

Must be the stupid judges that have coolers...maybe your "average" food got scored as a 6.
Ed

Been a long time since I've had a 6 or below. the last I can think of was when I won brisket in Kearny NE, the throw away score was 855, glad I wasn't tied with another cook.....right?

Ed

If this is directed at my OP, I never said anything about “average” food, not winning a GC every time or 6 scores. Any score that I recieve is a result of my action and I take responsibility for it. I never blamed or credited any judging for my results.

My comments were to make a point just as your Blah, blah blah was to make a point. I assume your point was that you could care less about my point. Fair enough.

I dislike judges bringing coolers. That’s my personal opinion for multiple reasons. Again, you could care less about my opinion, fair enough.

I eat enough BBQ that I don't need to take home someone else's product, but why do you care if some judges do? Judges don't get paid for judging nor do they have any opportunity of winning prize money, so why begrudge them the opportunity to take home some meat that would otherwise be thrown away?

I eat enough BBQ that I don't need to take home someone else's product, but why do you care if some judges do? Judges don't get paid for judging nor do they have any opportunity of winning prize money, so why begrudge them the opportunity to take home some meat that would otherwise be thrown away?

Over the years there are ample examples of judges that will nibble to maximize their haul. Are they the norm? No! I'm sure that there are, and have been, plenty of judges with coolers that take a healthy bite, or two, or even three if needed. It's the nibblers that have made it an issue.

I personally would like to see organizers take my leftovers that I didn’t turn in to distribute to the judges after the contest and have the samples I turn in be for judging purposes only.

I’d be more than happy to load judges up for their time and effort.

If the organizers don't disclose which food came from which team I don't think there is a better solution.

For me, I never take any food home....period. There are always some at my table that do. For sanitary reasons, these people are gambling with their health and I just don't get it.

I personally would like to see organizers take my leftovers that I didn’t turn in to distribute to the judges after the contest and have the samples I turn in be for judging purposes only.

I’d be more than happy to load judges up for their time and effort.

I never became a judge to be "loaded" up with comp BBQ meats. if it were offered I'd pass. I can and do cook BBQ meat for my family.
But I will not throw away contest meat because I was fetched up that way.
I ALWAYS take at least 2 good sized bites, I'm there to judge your competence as a BBQ cook.
If I make chicken salad out of rest of MY chicken, or if my wife and I warm it up and discuss my thoughts VS hers, that's what I'm gonna due.

No guilt nor shame for this judge.
Ed

For me, I never take any food home....period. There are always some at my table that do. For sanitary reasons, these people are gambling with their health and I just don't get it.

I have a small insulated cooler with shoulder strap inside are 6 reusable ice blocks. Within 15 minutes the meat is cool to the touch.
I'm not gamling on nothin.
Ed

Quite a silly rant, actually.

Too bad. I had some hope that I'd learn some things from this thread. But if the "Thanks" button love consensus is for silly rants, then I guess I'll just move along.

airedale:

I quit posting here quite a while back but I do stop by every once in a while to read what's being talked about. You caught my attention with a few of your posts and comments lately. I have learned that you are a newer judge and have questioned many things in competition BBQ. Like you, I have caused some controversy over the years speaking my mind on topics I'm passionate about just like you have on some of the topics you have been engaged in. I don't agree nor disagree with you but I want to make you an offer.
I see you are from Minnesota, but I don't know from what part you are from. I don't know how far you have or are willing to travel to judge or be involved in BBQ but I am going to be cooking Spirit Lake, IA August 10-11 and Marshall, MN August 17-18.
This is my invitation to you to come cook with me. It will fulfill the requirement needed to become an MCBJ the day you are at that point and I welcome you to this side of the game so you can see it all first hand. You will see exactly everything I do. You can ask any questions you want and I will answer it to the fullest I possibly can and you can give me any and all feedback you want both positive and negative and I will not hold any of it against you for doing so. The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. I'm not one of those who is only going to make you do dirty work. You can be right along side of me from the start until the last turn-in. You will get a full night of rest as I cook hot and fast. And when the contest is done you are welcome to take as much or as little of the leftovers home as you wish.
I've had judges cook with me in the past and every one of them found the experience very valuable to them not only as a judge but as a BBQ enthusiast also. I never turn down a request for a judge to cook with me.

If you are interested, hit me up in a PM and let's chat.

Travis Duffy
Last Call Heroes BBQ

I never became a judge to be "loaded" up with comp BBQ meats. if it were offered I'd pass. I can and do cook BBQ meat for my family.
I ALWAYS take at least 2 good sized bites, I'm there to judge your competence as a BBQ cook.
If I make chicken salad out of rest of MY chicken, or if my wife and I warm it up and discuss my thoughts VS hers, that's what I'm gonna due.

Ed

That BBQ was prepared with the intention for you to judge and score it. Not take home to make chicken salad. Now if you want to pay for it, okay. But of course I'm wrong and your right as usual.

Ed

If it goes to someone that wants it, or if it goes in the trash, it’s all the same to me.

Last edited:
airedale:

I quit posting here quite a while back but I do stop by every once in a while to read what's being talked about. You caught my attention with a few of your posts and comments lately. I have learned that you are a newer judge and have questioned many things in competition BBQ. Like you, I have caused some controversy over the years speaking my mind on topics I'm passionate about just like you have on some of the topics you have been engaged in. I don't agree nor disagree with you but I want to make you an offer.
I see you are from Minnesota, but I don't know from what part you are from. I don't know how far you have or are willing to travel to judge or be involved in BBQ but I am going to be cooking Spirit Lake, IA August 10-11 and Marshall, MN August 17-18.
This is my invitation to you to come cook with me. It will fulfill the requirement needed to become an MCBJ the day you are at that point and I welcome you to this side of the game so you can see it all first hand. You will see exactly everything I do. You can ask any questions you want and I will answer it to the fullest I possibly can and you can give me any and all feedback you want both positive and negative and I will not hold any of it against you for doing so. The only stupid question is the one that goes unasked. I'm not one of those who is only going to make you do dirty work. You can be right along side of me from the start until the last turn-in. You will get a full night of rest as I cook hot and fast. And when the contest is done you are welcome to take as much or as little of the leftovers home as you wish.
I've had judges cook with me in the past and every one of them found the experience very valuable to them not only as a judge but as a BBQ enthusiast also. I never turn down a request for a judge to cook with me.

If you are interested, hit me up in a PM and let's chat.

Travis Duffy
Last Call Heroes BBQ

What a great offer!! A unselfish act such as this will do great things for the art of competition BBQ.
Thank you,
Ed

I am judging my first contest this weekend. I am not taking a cooler or worried about getting full. Just want to be as fair as possible to each entry.

Back