What pellet machine NOT to buy. Or to buy.

ironbrew

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I've been researching and I'll be honest... I'm a bit confused. I'm a UDS guy, but sometimes I'd just really like the convenience of a pellet pooper. It seems everyone has favourites, and everyone has ones they don't like.

I'm into a bit stronger smoke flavour, but I have no issues with throwing an A-Maz-en tube or two in there to get additional smoke. My main concerns are reliability, ability to work flawlessly down to about 5F (my inkbird doesn't and why I now put it in criteria), temperature control and (see inkbird comment) wifi.

I have no idea which brands are good or not good. Locally Traeger, GMG and Yoder are available (I'm thinking of warranty here). Not sure I'm comfortable with going to Yoder pricing on a first time machine... Heck, you are talking to a UDS guy here.

Throw out your thoughts, tell me what I'm missing or overlooking. Heck, educate me please.

I recently went down this road and got a Grilla Grills Chimp. I need to force myself to sit down and write a review on it. One reason I got it was it is double insulated for cold weather cooks which may be beneficial up in BC. I've done a couple cooks and some steaks on it. Cooks went well but I am still working on getting it hot enough to sear. Only goes to 500 f. It has worked as designed and they have great customer service. Good luck.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

If you like stronger smoke flavor, you may want to look at something other than a pellet smoker. Some claim that they can get smoke flavor but I never could on my Pitt Boss. I have had brisket smoked on some other brands that had a light smoke, but I like mine to have more smoke flavor.

I've had my Grilla Grills Silverbac for nearly 4 years, maybe 5. Time gets away from me. Anyway, it was worked flawlessly all this time. Mine was pre-wifi which I'm fine not having it. I had one issue with a button on the control panel not working and they sent me a new controller to install. I also have UDS I made and a 26" weber kettle. They are all good tools and all get used at different times.

If you want a strong smoke flavor then pellet cookers are not for you. You might want to look into a gravity feed charcoal cooker as that will give you the temp control you're after, as well as a good smoke + charcoal flavor. Even with an Amaze-n tube or similar product you're not going to get the same kind of smoke flavor you would off a UDS or Gravity Feed smoker.

I'm a stuck burner at heart, but a few years back I was kind of in the same position as you. I ended up going with a Rec-Tec BFG and it was an absolute waste of time. The smoke flavor was extremely light to the point that it may as well have been baked in an oven. I tried adding a pellet tube but that didn't add much of anything, as well as the tube would usually fizzle out because of the airflow within the cook chamber. I ended up returning it and buying an insulated cabinet smoker instead....one of the best decisions I've ever made.

Overall the easiest (and cheapest) method might be to look into getting a fan system for your UDS. Thermoworks Signals is what I used on my cabinet smoker and it performed pretty well. There's also BBQ Guru and their newer line of fan systems called the DynaQ or UltraQ. Both the Thermoworks and BBQ Guru fan systems have their own phone apps, and are wi-fi, so you can control them from your phone.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

All the way back to my OG Pit Barrel Cooker and up to my current drum the Oklahoma Joe Bronco it's my belief that a drum produces more pronounced smokey grilled flavor meat, better tasting smoked meat and prettier smoked meat than not just my pellet cooker but any cooker I've had or currently have.

However I am on my second pellet cooker. First a GMG Davey Crockett and Currently a Pit Boss Austin XL. Both pellet cookers are great at cooking meat that produce a light clean smoke. The convenience of the pellet cooker is awesome. The general maintenance and upkeep is simple aa it gets. Push button Smokey microwave my Bride calls it.

Warrantys vary. Read Facebook pages on makes and models you're interested in. Supply chain issues are global and do affect pellet cookers and their parts.

Bottom line. I prefer to think of my cookers as unique individuals, like children. It's not fair to expect them to think and act exactly alike. Some do and are extremely frustrated.Cookers have their own personality, enjoy the uniqueness of a pellet cooker and their positive attributes.

Last edited:
The guys that say pellet cookers don't produce a smoke profile haven't used a MAK. I've had one for years and it's been amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What does MAK do differently from other pellet smokers to produce extra smoke flavor? I've heard many people say this but no one ever says why. Could it be that with that kind of money invested you kind of have to just believe there's more smoke flavor? :-D

I'm being kind of sarcastic, but I find it hard to believe MAK has somehow found the secret to getting smoke flavor from pellets. Pellets come from sawdust where the lignin and cellulose has been pulverized. This means excess surface area so they burn extremely efficient. Therefore there is no time to create the flavoring compounds you'll get from any other wood burning fire. This is why if you use wood which has been over-cured in a stickburner you'll end up with almost zero smoke flavor.

As to which cooker? Tough one. There's Chevy to Cadillac. They all have a hopper bin, auger, firepot and fan. Exterior fit and finish can be amazingly different. Control boards and displays, Wi-Fi capabilities. Anything electronic that sits outside is vulnerable. Any cooker that's not maintained is vulnerable.

The most common comments are about the virtues of different pellets and "did you even read the instruction book"? Then on Saturdays and Sunday's " I put on my meat and went to bed- Is this safe to eat"?

Last edited:
Recteq was my recent decision. Deciding factor was they have a 100% stainless model with a 6yr warranty. More than one brand had paint bubbling, peeling, rusting issues when running the grill full blast - so I figured full stainless solves that problem. There are fanboys and haters for every brand and every model, so just narrow it down by what features you want most, and what shortcomings you're willing to live with.

From what I've read, if MAK told you how they do it they'd have to kill you. Some questions are best left unanswered.

MAK has very loyal following both here and elsewhere. I've never seen or kicked the tires. They have provided a popular Brethren sale. I have lots of pellet family and friends that are extremely happy with their Traeger, GMG, Pit Boss, and others. Good luck with your choice

From what I've read, if MAK told you how they do it they'd have to kill you. Some questions are best left unanswered.

I've re-read my earlier reply to you and I can see how it may have come off poorly or maybe even a bit rude. I'm glad your response was so pleasant. ; )

Outside of burning a dirty fire I just can't see how a pellet smoker can get more smoke from the same pellets. And we've all seen what happens with dirty smoke...Trager "smoke setting" anyone? My Rec-Tec did the exact same thing when I put it to their "Extreme Smoke" setting...the whole inside of the cook chamber was covered in soot / dirty smoke.

What does MAK do differently from other pellet smokers to produce extra smoke flavor? I've heard many people say this but no one ever says why. Could it be that with that kind of money invested you kind of have to just believe there's more smoke flavor? :-D

I'm about as big of a pellet smoker fan as there is and over the past decade have had numerous different pellet grills on my back patio (double digits). To say that they are all the same, is like saying a kettle, a drum/barrel, and a kamado all produce the same results because they burn charcoal.

If you've only compared a Traeger to a CampChef as an example, it would be easy to believe they are all about the same. However, there are a lot of factors that determine the smoke profile that pellet smokers are capable of imparting. The biggest 3 things I've seen that have pretty sizable impacts on smoke profile are exhaust, drip tray design, and controller logic. The fire pot, might also play a factor, but I've only had a couple grills with much difference from the rest there. From my experiences, a rear exhaust seems to produce better flavor than a side stack. Any differences to the drip pan design the allow more smoke our all four sides up and/or up the middle give better flavor. Most of the mainstream pellet smokers have that solid pan from one side to the other only letting smoke flow around the front and back of the pan. Controller logic can pulse fans versus just on/off, cycle feed timings to have more smolder, etc.

From a comparison point of view, my first pellet grill was a Traeger Junior, it had a better smoke profile than several of it's followers (GMG, Traeger, CampChef, etc.) That's where I first realized the rear exhaust was likely beneficial.

The SmokeFire might actually have the best smoke profile of all pellet grills out there. My MAK is only a tiny notch behind it for what I've been able to produce, but without all the headaches of the Weber. Those two live on a different level than the others I've had. I'm not trying to say it's better than a stick burner or charcoal smoke profile. That's not really possible, because it's different. Charcoal especially is unique to my taste buds.

Now, for the perfect pellet grill for you, it's probably a MAK :loco: They are great grills. However, what's important first is to decide if you want a quality long lasting grill or more of a disposable grill. No judgement here on which you prefer, I've tried multiple of both. From there, you can break it down to things that I mentioned above as likely differentiators. I live where it gets cold too and use my grills year round. I haven't had a problem with any of them in the cold. The wind actually affects them more than cold. You will burn more pellets when it's cold or windy, and that varies based upon the construction of each. You just have to decide what you're willing to spend and how long you expect it to last. Traegers and CampChefs are fine cookers (with lighter smoke than others), but aren't likely going to last 10 years under regular/heavy use. MAK, Yoder, LSG, SmokinBros, etc. are going to last quite a long time if cared for. That doesn't mean any of them are guaranteed maintenance free, a part could fail on any pellet grill. But that latter group is no comparison construction wise to the mainstream stuff and most are 2-4 times the weight of the others too.

Once you get a pellet grill, we can talk about pellets :wink: Just like the grills, all pellets are not the same either. Many of the pellets out there are 70-80% oak. That's most of what's cheapest and in the box stores and includes most of the 'grill' branded pellets. Lumberjack, CookinPellets, and a few others actually offer some 100% species woods. Special Blends from many brands have no or far less oak base wood in them too.

I'm being kind of sarcastic, but I find it hard to believe MAK has somehow found the secret to getting smoke flavor from pellets. Pellets come from sawdust where the lignin and cellulose has been pulverized. This means excess surface area so they burn extremely efficient. Therefore there is no time to create the flavoring compounds you'll get from any other wood burning fire. This is why if you use wood which has been over-cured in a stickburner you'll end up with almost zero smoke flavor.

I can’t answer that, and they won’t either, but what I can tell you is it’s a different animal. The GMG that I bought to dip my toe into the pellet world cannot hold a candle to the MAK flavor wise, well in any way actually.

I'm about as big of a pellet smoker fan as there is and over the past decade have had numerous different pellet grills on my back patio (double digits). To say that they are all the same, is like saying a kettle, a drum/barrel, and a kamado all produce the same results because they burn charcoal.

If you've only compared a Traeger to a CampChef as an example, it would be easy to believe they are all about the same. However, there are a lot of factors that determine the smoke profile that pellet smokers are capable of imparting. The biggest 3 things I've seen that have pretty sizable impacts on smoke profile are exhaust, drip tray design, and controller logic. The fire pot, might also play a factor, but I've only had a couple grills with much difference from the rest there. From my experiences, a rear exhaust seems to produce better flavor than a side stack. Any differences to the drip pan design the allow more smoke our all four sides up and/or up the middle give better flavor. Most of the mainstream pellet smokers have that solid pan from one side to the other only letting smoke flow around the front and back of the pan. Controller logic can pulse fans versus just on/off, cycle feed timings to have more smolder, etc.

From a comparison point of view, my first pellet grill was a Traeger Junior, it had a better smoke profile than several of it's followers (GMG, Traeger, CampChef, etc.) That's where I first realized the rear exhaust was likely beneficial.

The SmokeFire might actually have the best smoke profile of all pellet grills out there. My MAK is only a tiny notch behind it for what I've been able to produce, but without all the headaches of the Weber. Those two live on a different level than the others I've had. I'm not trying to say it's better than a stick burner or charcoal smoke profile. That's not really possible, because it's different. Charcoal especially is unique to my taste buds.

Now, for the perfect pellet grill for you, it's probably a MAK :loco: They are great grills. However, what's important first is to decide if you want a quality long lasting grill or more of a disposable grill. No judgement here on which you prefer, I've tried multiple of both. From there, you can break it down to things that I mentioned above as likely differentiators. I live where it gets cold too and use my grills year round. I haven't had a problem with any of them in the cold. The wind actually affects them more than cold. You will burn more pellets when it's cold or windy, and that varies based upon the construction of each. You just have to decide what you're willing to spend and how long you expect it to last. Traegers and CampChefs are fine cookers (with lighter smoke than others), but aren't likely going to last 10 years under regular/heavy use. MAK, Yoder, LSG, SmokinBros, etc. are going to last quite a long time if cared for. That doesn't mean any of them are guaranteed maintenance free, a part could fail on any pellet grill. But that latter group is no comparison construction wise to the mainstream stuff and most are 2-4 times the weight of the others too.

Once you get a pellet grill, we can talk about pellets :wink: Just like the grills, all pellets are not the same either. Many of the pellets out there are 70-80% oak. That's most of what's cheapest and in the box stores and includes most of the 'grill' branded pellets. Lumberjack, CookinPellets, and a few others actually offer some 100% species woods. Special Blends from many brands have no or far less oak base wood in them too.

Something tells me you answered SmoothBoarBBQ's question better than I did. One other thing to note is that MAK offer a limited lifetime warranty, which I don't know if anyone else does. And their customer service is second to none.

From MAK's website:

We make one promise to the MAK Family—we will take care of you. If your grill or its components are found to be mechanically flawed or defective, we will replace them free of charge (shipping excluded) for the duration of the life of the grill. This warranty applies to the original owner of the grill and is not transferrable.

We provide a warranty against defects in materials and workmanship for all original equipment and replacement parts supplied by MAK GRILLS, as specified below.

This warranty does not cover:

Defects or damage resulting from:
Normal wear and tear
Improper assembly
Corrosion
Improper maintenance
Improper use
Installation of components, parts, or accessories not originally intended for or compatible with the grill as sold
Accident, misuse, abuse, or neglect
Loss or theft
Any damage or defect to powder coat finish on the unit
Accessory products (meat probes, covers, etc.)
This warranty applies to all 2019 model MAK Grills or newer. Proof of purchase required.

Also, I meant to mention that Grilla, RecTeq, and Weber seem to be in-between on construction quality. A step above CampChef, Traeger, PtBoss, etc. with thicker steel and more SS, but still a step below MAK, Yoder, LSG, etc. The new RecTeq SmokeOCD mentioned, the RT-1070 is also a nice looking new offering that I'd love to play with for a while. However, it's important to note when comparing this to other more expensive pellet smokers, that the grill body and cabinet are 430 SS. The more premium brands that use stainless use 304 SS. So, time will tell how the corrosion resistance holds up. Likely fine, but until they've been around a while I don't think we can say for sure.

The biggest 3 things I've seen that have pretty sizable impacts on smoke profile are exhaust, drip tray design, and controller logic. The fire pot, might also play a factor, but I've only had a couple grills with much difference from the rest there.

I can see the exhaust and drip tray have effects on the smoke profile. I had not considered these so I can see what you're saying.

Back