pulled pork beans and Cole slaw

smoke ninja

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Reaction score
we're coming up on memorial day. for a time that meant me and the gang would help Diesel Dave with his largest annual cook. one of the typical menu lineups was pulled pork, baked beans and Cole slaw. we cook other things but this menu packed the most bang for the buck.

today I honor his memory and cooked up that lineup for a friend and coworker who's family is dealing with tragedy. I figured providing a few meals was the least I can do.

the pork. I cooked this over night, rubbed with lawrys. in the morning I wrapped it up and held it in the roaster oven until needed. I made up some shack sauce, my personal favorite, as well as some red bbq sauce. I added a little simply marvelous spicy apple to the pulled meat for flavor and dressed it lightly with the shack sauce.

the beans. these are doctored up bushes baked beans. add chopped bacon, apple pie filling and ground pork. brown sugar and bbq sauce to taste finishes it off. these are simple, cheap and always a hit. seriously I'm surprised the reaction they get.

Cole slaw. :becky: always does the side salads. in keeping with the simple nature of this cook she bought some pre shredded slaw mix and whipped up a dressing.

we both fixed a plate and boxed up the rest. everything was really good. the kidd-o even ate the pork and she doesn't love meat (that's how she says she doesn't like things.... "I don't love meat" I told her don't worry it's pork not meat and all was right:laugh:)

washed my dinner down with faygo redpop. I swear it's the best drink with bbq

Great looking grub and an even greater gesture! I hope your friend finds peace and comfort in his ordeal.

Great looking grub and an even greater gesture! I hope your friend finds peace and comfort in his ordeal.

Tradition is a good thing.

Doing a good thing is always fun.
Ed

Awesome on many levels

Nicely done Steve

thank you guys. when I was looking for the pork but in the freezer I found 3 I didn't know I had. I'm thinking of doing this for an old friend I haven't seen in 15 years who is battling cancer.

Back