MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 05-23-2022, 08:45 PM   #31
Cookb4
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Cook

I bought a Yoder few years back. I ended up not being pellet guy because of the smoke flavor. I agree with those that say try food off one before you buy it. I could have saved a couple grand if I had done that.
Cookb4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from:--->

Old 05-24-2022, 05:39 AM   #32
KingRanch450
is One Chatty Farker

I have a Traeger Timberline and have not been disappointed. I have a stick burner and an egg and have used all for my smoking needs. There is a definite technique to get that smoke flavor from my Traeger. It has taken me numerous cooks and research to achieve that but it can be done. Good pellets, smoke tube, overnight long cook at a low temp (200) on super smoke setting are just a few of the things I do. I love my stick burner but sometimes set it and forget it is a nice option to have! Good luck

Old 05-24-2022, 06:51 AM   #33
cowboyupbbq
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Eric

I have an FEC100 and I’d highly recommend it. There are a couple good used ones for sale in the Bretheren Sales section in the $2000-2500 range. It’s a commercial unit that is very well insulated, which saves on pellets, especially in the winter. The smoke flavor is great, but a notch below a barrel or offset.

Before this FE, I had a GMG that was a piece of junk, and ironically it is the only brand new smoker I’ve owned. That said I did have a GMG once before that worked great. If you want a new one, the MAK is a great option.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:02 AM   #34
Hot Spot
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Bob

I have a Mak and not to be abrasive but I have not experienced as much smoke flavor as everyone claims. What I like best is that it won’t rust. I had gift cards that cut the price to about half. I would never pay full price and if I had to do it over again, I would not.
Hot Spot is offline   Reply With Quote

Thanks from: --->
Old 05-24-2022, 02:04 PM   #35
Bob C Cue
Quintessential Chatty Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Spot View Post
I have a Mak and not to be abrasive but I have not experienced as much smoke flavor as everyone claims. What I like best is that it won’t rust. I had gift cards that cut the price to about half. I would never pay full price and if I had to do it over again, I would not.
Have you tried Lumberjack Hickory pellets?
Thermapen Classic
Thermoworks Smoke

Ephesians 2:8-9
For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, not a result of works, so that no one may boast
Bob C Cue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2022, 11:09 PM   #36
Eads Ranch
Full Fledged Farker

I bought my MAK in the 2020 group buy. I wanted the LSG pellet grill but Chris couldn't get the controllers at the time to release it when I wanted to buy. I have been very happy with the MAK. The customer service after purchase has been awesome. I use Bear Mountain pellets and get plenty of smoke. After Covid I wanted nothing made in China.
http://aekellerfoundation.org
Eads Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-24-2022, 11:09 PM   #37
Dweverett
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Bill

I have a Rectec and my son has a MAK. Between the two, the MAK puts out a heavier smoke flavor. My sense from reading posts here though is that a UDS or WSM puts out a stronger profile than many other options — including a (clean running) stick burner. I’ve seen very few threads from folks coming from one of those that could get anything similar from a pellet grill, regardless of manufacturer. Some that came from a UDS have learned to appreciate what they get from a pellet grill but not because it’s the same — just because it’s also producing great food.

Pellet grills can produce fantastic flavors but they aren’t going to be the same as what you’re getting today.

Gifted to various children — Kamado Joe Classic, 36” Blackstone Griddle, Weber Genesis, Rectec 680
Dweverett is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2022, 02:45 AM   #38
glitchy
Full Fledged Farker

Name/Nickname : Shane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot Spot View Post
Related to what Bob C Cur asked, what pellets have you been using? Brand and flavor? What temps have you been running? Both of those really do make a difference with pellet smokers. Many pellets are 70-80% oak stripped of bark for consistent BTUs.

Old 05-25-2022, 03:32 AM   #39
Fooball
is One Chatty Farker

Name/Nickname : Brad

Ironbrew, if you like kettles-this one may be one to get your feet wet for cheap in the pellet game.

https://www.recteq.com/products/rt-b...BoCjTkQAvD_BwE

The RecTec RT-B380 kettle pellet grill on sale for $100 off at $399. Goes up to 749 degrees direct heat sear or down to 225 degrees.

Looks interesting and different.
Fooball is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2022, 08:33 AM   #40
Hog1990
Full Fledged Farker

MAK is overrated in my opinion. Lots of flame outs, and tons of glitches. I will say that MAK has the best customer service I've ever experienced. I kept mine 12 months before I sold it at a loss. LSG is the best pellet grill I have owned, hands down. Great Smoke flavor with the program on the FireBoard. I have owned and sold most likely on this site:

GMG, Yoder's, MAK, Cookshacks, RecTec (When they were spelled that way), FireCraft, Memphis, ABS, Camp Chef and Traeger. I'll take the LSG over them all.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:51 AM   #41
ironbrew
Knows what a fatty is.

Did a quick google foo. LSG is Lone Star Grills?
ironbrew is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2022, 10:03 AM   #42
JDiddy
Is lookin for wood to cook with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironbrew View Post
Did a quick google foo. LSG is Lone Star Grills?
Yes, that's correct.
JDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2022, 11:45 AM   #43
TravelingJ
is Blowin Smoke!

Name/Nickname : Justin

That LSG looks good, I just mentally have a huge problem with how they spell Grillz. It's one I've definitely considered dumping my MAK for.

The FEC is the other one I keep leaning towards. Especially since we have a few for sale on here...just not close to me, and it wouldn't fit in my SUV.

I'm definitely not a MAK Kool Aid drinker, and haven't had all the success with service and product that others claim. That alone makes me gunshy to try to spend that kind of money on something else and be upset all over again.
TravelingJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2022, 12:21 PM   #44
BBQBrew65
Got Wood.

Name/Nickname : Tom

I had a RecTeq and it was very easy to use until you wanted some real smoke flavor. Then I spent hours and $ adding smoke tubes and smoking at lower temp for longer...drove me crazy! I sold it. I'm out of the pellet game...I like real wood flavor.
BBQBrew65 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-2022, 07:05 PM   #45
DBBQ
is one Smokin' Farker

Name/Nickname : Dennis

I have had a Rec Tec original model, Mak2, and now a Yoder. All three seemed to put out great pellet-cooked food. I enjoy the convenience of a pellet smoker. Of the three, I prefer the Yoder. Customer service between the 3 was all great.