MMMM.. BRISKET..
The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS.  

Our Homepage Donation to Forum Overhead Welocme Merchandise Associations Purchase Subscription Amazon Affiliate
Go Back   The BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS. > Discussion Area > Q-talk

Notices

Q-talk *ON TOPIC ONLY* QUALITY ON TOPIC discussion of Backyard BBQ, grilling, equipment and outdoor cookin' . ** Other cooking techniques are welcomed for when your cookin' in the kitchen. Post your hints, tips, tricks & techniques, success, failures, but stay on topic and watch for that hijacking.

Old 09-26-2017, 01:49 PM   #1
JamieK
On the road to being a farker

Default First Brisket on my UDS

It has been awhile since I have checked this forum out and posted, since i have been on I really believe I have mastered Butts, Ribs, Lamb, Chuck and Chickens on my UDS. My wings were even given a best she ever had from a well know local cook book author.

Up in Canada Brisket is hard to come by and if it is available it is expensive, and was finally able to find a smaller brisket for a price I thought was acceptable. So I am finally gonna try my first Brisket on my UDS, and am looking for suggestions on time. I have 6.5lb brisket and plan on smoking around 250F. How long should I plan on smoking it for. I plan on using a few chunks of Hickory (would love to use Oak, but not sure where I can find in chunks up here). I also plan on rubbing with just 50/50 S&P, and serve with a BBQ sauce incase I mess it up. I have never uses a water pan before, and think I want to try and will place on my lower rack with Brisket above, and also plan cook fat cap down for 2 hours then turn fat cap up, I also plan to wrap in butcher Paper around the 150F -160F mark.

Would love some tips and info and make sure I am on the right trck., and how long I should plan for cooking time with a rest period of 1-2 hrs wrapped in a cooler.

Thanks in advance, Jamie

Old 09-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #2
Czarbecue
Babbling Farker

Name/Nickname : Viet King Cong

The UDS will be similar to my WSM... so at 250, allocate about 12 hours for a six pounder. Maybe even more depending on the grade of the brisket... not sure if there is a grade in Canada or not.

Old 09-26-2017, 06:13 PM   #3
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Look up "Bludawg brisket"-

do that

/full stop.

Old 09-26-2017, 09:04 PM   #4
JamieK

So I am am interested in Bludawgs method, but he calls for a 12-14lb packer brisket, mine is a 6lb, any ideas how that is going to affect the cook time.

Old 09-26-2017, 10:07 PM   #5
patrickd26
Full Fledged Farker

If you have a 6.5 brisket, then I would assume you only have the flat part. So, I would lower your temp just a bit (225-235ish). I would season as you mention and then once the brisket hits 150'ish I would wrap in foil and continue to 190'ish and start probing until it feels like butter. Another option would be to pull the brisket at 150'ish and put it in an aluminum pan with some broth and wrap with foil. Once again, pull at 190-200'ish. When you put a toothpick in it should feel like butter.

Either way, if you have just a flat you will want to wrap at some point. It's a leaner cut and you can keep the moisture with lower heat and a wrap. You shouldn't have to go over 203 EVER. Also, while wrapped, give it a 2-hour rest. The meat will relax and maybe absorb some juices back in.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by patrickd26; 09-26-2017 at 10:13 PM..
patrickd26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-27-2017, 06:45 AM   #6
Nuco59
Babbling Farker

Don't be so fixated on the "how long will it take?" aspect of this cook. I will say it will be between Bludawg's 6hours and Czarbecue's 10-12 hours- there! I know that is a HUGE fudge - but there's no way of knowing. Going the lower temp and a flat, it could go 8+ hours. I hate to fall back on "it's done when it's done" but /shrug. If you want to make something with definite temps, start times and finish times- bake a cake

If you are doing this for guests- give yourself plenty of time- do it right with a good resting period. You can hold brisket for hours if you need to.

Good luck, sir.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:46 AM   #7
SwineGuy
Full Fledged Farker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuco59 View Post
Don't be so fixated on the "how long will it take?" aspect of this cook. I will say it will be between Bludawg's 6hours and Czarbecue's 10-12 hours- there! I know that is a HUGE fudge - but there's no way of knowing. Going the lower temp and a flat, it could go 8+ hours. I hate to fall back on "it's done when it's done" but /shrug. If you want to make something with definite temps, start times and finish times- bake a cake

If you are doing this for guests- give yourself plenty of time- do it right with a good resting period. You can hold brisket for hours if you need to.

Good luck, sir.
Totally agree about the time thing. You can estimate 1.5 hours per pound...but the brisket will be done when it is done. And the only way to know is to probe it for the feel. You can afford to give yourself some fudge time, it holds well for a couple of hours so if done earlier than you expected, don't sweat it.

Old 09-27-2017, 10:29 AM   #8
JamieK

Thanks guys that is what I was looking for, was afraid of starting it too early. Plan on starting at UDS around 6am and figure it will be ready for a 6pm dinner with a few hours of rest.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk